2020 Eco diesel problems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mainuh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello all,

New member here and looking to buy a 2020 1500. Currently have an F-150 Lariat, but was overwhelmingly impressed with how RAM has improved in the past few years. Handsome exteriors with the best interior fit & finish I've seen in any truck, ever. Joined the forum in hopes of getting real world comments and advice from owners. Would prefer the Eco diesel but was at a Ram dealer in Sanford Maine 2 days ago and they didn't have any on the lot. They had plenty of 5.7 Hemis (most without E-torque). When I asked the salesman about the Eco diesel, He sternly replied "You don't want one of those, there's a reason we don't have any for sale on the lot. We sold dozens of them and they've all been riddled with problems. We are loosing our shirts trying to schedule them in for warranty repairs." He also stated they will not be getting any more Eco-diesels in for sale, refusing any more shipments of them. Powerful words to trash your own brand and refuse to sell it!

To that end of repairs/breakdowns, I did see (4) 1500 Eco diesels in the service area that were registered with Maine plates (not dealer vehicles or loaners). May be just coincidence and they could have been there for routine service.

I pull a travel trailer that weighs just under 7K# between Maine & AZ yearly and really would love the Eco diesel for mileage as well as torque. That said, I tried a limited with non e-torque 5.7 Hemi and was truly impressed with the ride and performance, but of course was not able to test it towing. I've watched dozens on YouTubes on both power plants. I also know there are few people on earth (besides politicians) that lie more than car sales people. So I'm wondering if he was playing me on the Eco diesel as he didn't have any to sell and wanted me to buy the 5.7 Hemi.

I have heard that a dealer oil change on the Eco-diesel was $250 at one dealer due to an expensive proprietary filter.

All this makes me want to say "Go with the 5.7 and don't look back", but I'm still wishing I could find more info on the Eco diesel and hear from owners that have gone through a dozen or more tanks of diesel and can speak objectively beyond that new owner glow.

Thanks for any feedback gang!

Don

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Sadly this forum has a lot of Hemi/gasser bias, you'll probably get lots of comments to just buy a Hemi.
There is a lot of EcoDiesel owners well into100K and 200K mile ranges (even a couple in the 300K miles range) along with countless others that have no issues with theirs.
I usually tell people if they like the Hemi fun pedal then go with it, if you want some more efficient (or are just a diesel fanatic) then the EcoDiesel is for you.

Iceclimber

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Oil filters cost like seven bucks on Amazon. What a stupid thing for a sales person to say.

I think the early gen Eco's had some issues, but the new gen is a different beast. I had a 2014 and now a 2020 Limited and tow just a bit more than you plan to. If I were towing from Maine to Arizona - decision made. Diesel all the way. You will likely get 2x mileage. 60-65 mph is the sweet spot for the Eco.

I don't have numbers to back it up, but I camped next to a Hemi driver before the pandemic and of course the topic turned to our trucks. He was towing roughly half what I was, and said his Hemi was getting like 5-7 mpg. I did drive a 5.7 with the etorque and does it behave different ? Of course and that will always be true of gas vs. diesel anything. However with a Pedal Commander I am perfectly content with my Eco's performance. I am not a race car driver and got the Eco for towing.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If I was towing, I would be looking at the eco diesel or the Cumins. The specs on the latest version of the eco are impressive imho.

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I don't know much about the Ecos other than the early generations had problems. If you see a used one priced low don't buy it. The 3rd gen (or latest gen Ecos) I've heard and read are very good.

Good luck with your purchase, you will never leave MOPAR after this.

4eyedconekiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I know this was days ago, but there are a lot who have had issues with the older EcoD's. There are also a lot who haven't. Mine is a '14, that I bought with a bad engine (warranty replacement after purchase). I've converted it strictly to "off-road use" and have had zero issues since. Send me a PM, and I'll help any way I can.

If you go used (4th ten Ram) Get the trucks you look at checked over well. Check service records. Do your due diligence, like you would with anything.

Looking back, I wouldn't change a thing. Crew cab, 4wd, lifted, heavy duty bumpers and better than 20 MPG. Guys who tow TT's usually tell me they are in the teens loaded.

I will likely wind up with a 20+ EcoD when the time is right. Likely Rebel trim, or sport. That is, if I don't buy a TRX first, lol.

davegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
I have a 2015 Ecodiesel I bought new and have changed oil at 8k miles, etc. I usually drive like an old grandma on ******. But I have had diesels before and knew I had to kick in the turbo to burn off some soot, etc every once in a while. NEVER do this. My engine cratered and thank God it was under warranty. It would have been $14,000 if not. I towed a 6500lb boat 900 miles a year ago. I kept it around 55mph and even slower up hills when I saw the oil temp climb. But...get this! 19mpg on that trip!!! The MPG gauge stays over 30mpg once warmed up on the highway. As the sharp guy above said, 60-65 is the sweetspot for this. 75mph is pushing a lot of air and will bring that mpg downto 25. I am going to get a $3000 gift from RAM at some point due to the lawsuit. At that point, I will probably go with a 2022.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
I too was in the same situation. For context, I had a 2020 2500 Hemi which was a great truck but absolutely abysmal gas mileage often in the 11-12mpg range. With a 31 gallon tank (filling at 26) I was only getting 280 - 310 miles per tank for $70.

I was on the fence about purchasing an EcoDiesel and after doing my research I bought a 2021 Big Horn EcoDiesel 4x4 crew cab and sold the 2500. What a night and day difference. I only have 220 miles on it but am averaging 24mpg mixed use and see it climb a tenth of a mile on average.

The early Ecodiesel's did have their fair share of issues but nothing I would consider a plague or worthy of the salesman's sentiment toward them. He had a lot full of Hemi's and wanted to sell you one.

I will say they are hard to find so expand your search to a comfortable radius. I purchased mine last weekend and used the 0% for 72 with a $1500 rebate through Chrysler making it a no brainer. Who doesn't like free money.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I pull a 6000# travel trailer with my 1500 laramie and it pulls fine..8.5-10 mpg at 68-69 mph is all your going to get when towing but I dont tow every day so the 19-20 I get when we take my truck on a trip is great. my neighbor has a similar size trailer and pulls it fine with the earlier ecodsl..a 2018 I think. he loves it. the reason I am looking at 2500s is because the 1500 gas and ecodsl just dont have enough payload capacity for the amount of stuff we want to take when trailering. also a 1500 ecodsl laramie will price out near a gas 2500 , so there is that. the newer 2500 gassers with the 8 speed are just really good trucks so I'm shopping and waiting for the market to turn around.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
We got a 21 Ram Big Horn crew cab short bed Ecodiesel on February 5. Two weeks and 1,000 miles later we took off on a cross country (NY to KY, TX, NM, AZ, CO, Utah, and back to NY) trip pulling our 23 foot travel trailer. We put 11,500 more miles on it as we traveled south and across the country to National Parks, ski resorts, beaches, et all. We towed 6,500 pounds, with two adults and a dog and a full bed of stuff. It tows like a dream. Got 11 to 14 MPG when towing, depending on wind speed and terrain. Got 25 to 33 when not towing. At 8000 miles it needed an oil change, done in Tuscon Az at a Ram dealer and I had to fill the 10 gallon DEF tank twice with all the towing. Totally trouble free. Comfortable. Great ride. 33 gallon tank, 500 to 700 mile range. Get one.

TC Retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ED
Earnhardt in PHX had a lot of the ED's when I bought in July. They just took delivery of another new one the day I bought.

While I only have 2k on mine, I love it but that's going from a 2004, it's nice to climb into something that everything works on, instead of working on everything.

Just took a 1k trip up to Salt Lake City last week got 27 mpg combined Mountain/City and Rural Highways. That's with a bike rack/rain cover combination hanging off the back catching wind.

Diesel does have a warm weather preference. Trust me, I had a 82 Rabbit diesel that had to sit outside my wife's work place in mid-west winters. If it got down to 0 and I had not taken precautions -- it was a bear. But back then you just hook on and tow it until the cylinders warmed up enough to fire, problem solved for that instance.

Diesel is a different animal from gas. If you can deal with the differences then fine otherwise it does take some fore-thought/planning to avoid problems.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0L
I've had my 2020 for a little over a year, put 17k miles on it and haven't had any issues with the truck. It gets great mileage and is very comfortable on the highway even when towing, i don't regret getting the eco over the hemi one bit.

drmoreau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Earnhardt in PHX had a lot of the ED's when I bought in July. They just took delivery of another new one the day I bought.

While I only have 2k on mine, I love it but that's going from a 2004, it's nice to climb into something that everything works on, instead of working on everything.

Just took a 1k trip up to Salt Lake City last week got 27 mpg combined Mountain/City and Rural Highways. That's with a bike rack/rain cover combination hanging off the back catching wind.

Diesel does have a warm weather preference. Trust me, I had a 82 Rabbit diesel that had to sit outside my wife's work place in mid-west winters. If it got down to 0 and I had not taken precautions -- it was a bear. But back then you just hook on and tow it until the cylinders warmed up enough to fire, problem solved for that instance.

Diesel was $2.75 until Biden started ****** us at the pumps. Now it's $3.50 and climbing daily so no savings there.

Diesel is a different animal from gas. If you can deal with the differences then fine otherwise it does take some fore-thought/planning to avoid problems.
The Whitehouse does not control the price of oil. Try OPEC and the major domestic producers, such as Exxon etc. I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but consumers in 190+ other nations are also bidding for the available oil supply. Price is usually a funcition of supply and demand. Higher prices are usually a function of increased demand, and vice versa.

As for cold weather starts, install a block heater and perhaps additives to prevent fuel gelling.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
We got a 21 Ram Big Horn crew cab short bed Ecodiesel on February 5. Two weeks and 1,000 miles later we took off on a cross country (NY to KY, TX, NM, AZ, CO, Utah, and back to NY) trip pulling our 23 foot travel trailer. We put 11,500 more miles on it as we traveled south and across the country to National Parks, ski resorts, beaches, et all. We towed 6,500 pounds, with two adults and a dog and a full bed of stuff. It tows like a dream. Got 11 to 14 MPG when towing, depending on wind speed and terrain. Got 25 to 33 when not towing. At 8000 miles it needed an oil change, done in Tuscon Az at a Ram dealer and I had to fill the 10 gallon DEF tank twice with all the towing. Totally trouble free. Comfortable. Great ride. 33 gallon tank, 500 to 700 mile range. Get one.
Just to update on my truck. The truck now has 21,000 miles. It has one recurring bug/issue: The system which controls the rear sensors, trailer reverse steering control (TRSC) and backup camera. The TRSC hasn't worked since day one despite several trips to the dealer and Chrysler techies teleconferencing over my truck and trailer. A recall was done on the the rear sensors and backup camera in September, which quit a few weeks ago. The dealer rebooted the system yesterday and it's now working. I understand there is a second recall coming which my dealer thinks is designed to address all these issues. The TRSC is a new system this year, and obviously its got issues. Otherwise the truck is trouble free.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like to me he was trying to sell you what was on the lot. As others have said the early eco diesels had issues, but they have seem to worked out the bugs. Not saying every eco diesel is the same as some may have issues. Its the same with the Hemi and its ticking issues. Some have it others dont.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
Diesel was $2.75 until Biden started ****** us at the pumps. Now it's $3.50 and climbing daily so no savings there.
Please keep the politics out of here. I have an advanced degree in finance, government and economics and could go all day into the reasons why presidents (especially this one and his predecessor) have little impact on the price of energy, but it would be a waste of keystrokes/breath. Nobody's mind is changed by an internet argument.

:Rant:

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
Just to update on my truck. The truck now has 21,000 miles. It has one recurring bug/issue: The system which controls the rear sensors, trailer reverse steering control (TRSC) and backup camera. The TRSC hasn't worked since day one despite several trips to the dealer and Chrysler techies teleconferencing over my truck and trailer. A recall was done on the the rear sensors and backup camera in September, which quit a few weeks ago. The dealer rebooted the system yesterday and it's now working. I understand there is a second recall coming which my dealer thinks is designed to address all these issues. The TRSC is a new system this year, and obviously its got issues. Otherwise the truck is trouble free.
And wait there's more!

Dealer called this morning. Ram rep is coming to dealer Monday to look at truck to diagnose the TRSC, yet again. And I got the official e-mail notification that FCA is doing another recall on the rear backup camera being distorted or not working on trucks with the TRSC... There is no mention in that recall of fixing the TRSC itself, only the camera on trucks with the TRSC. More infuriating.... no fix has yet been identified for whatever ails the reverse camera.

But otherwise the truck is working great. I've had no issues with anything related to the truck having the 3.0 liter Eco-diesel engine.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
And wait there's more!

Dealer called this morning. Ram rep is coming to dealer Monday to look at truck to diagnose the TRSC, yet again. And I got the official e-mail notification that FCA is doing another recall on the rear backup camera being distorted or not working on trucks with the TRSC... There is no mention in that recall of fixing the TRSC itself, only the camera on trucks with the TRSC. More infuriating.... no fix has yet been identified for whatever ails the reverse camera.

But otherwise the truck is working great. I've had no issues with anything related to the truck having the 3.0 liter Eco-diesel engine.
To follow up on this.... The Ram's rep diagnosed the problem: replace the reverse camera itself. This was done by the dealer a week or so later when the part came in. Problem solved. Apparently the wrong camera was installed when the truck was made!

Anyway the truck now has 36,000+ miles. We returned from a trip to New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada and California a few days ago, where we put another 9,000+ miles on. The outside air temperature sensor quit. The first sign of which was the dash thermometer reading 185. This triggered dash warnings, lit the engine malfunction light and triggered short exhaust regeneration cycling. I was able to stop the regenerations by following the owners manual procedure to simply turn the engine off and on after a short warm up. We drove a few days (towing) before a dealer in Yucca Valley replaced the sensor.

Last edited:

Jason knapp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Turbo diesel
I have a 2018 EcoDiesel and it's tha ****. Love it, no problems, and strong as hell. I'm sure It's not as fast as the Hemi, but it will out pull it any day!