2020 EcoDiesel Limited 4x4 intermittent remote start issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

colomountains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
Hello,

I need your help, I have taken my 2020 EcoDiesel Limited 4x4 to the dealer twice to deal with a remote start issue, when it is very cold and the truck is parked at an incline at my house of about 2% grade.

The first time that I took it, a control module was replaced in the cabin and the truck worked fine for a while.

It happened again this winter and the remote start won't work if it is very cold and the dealer could not recreate the problem.

I can hear a click sound in the engine bay by the starter, the truck gives me the two blinks and beeps, and then the hum/click sound and nothing. Once temperatures are above 30 F, everything is fine.

I was in Durango a couple of weeks ago and it was bitter cold the whole time we were there and the remote start feature worked like a charm after the truck being in the cold for over 12 hours. The only difference that I can see here is that the truck was parked in a flat driveway.

I would greatly appreciate your advice on this before I go back to the dealer and have a good and long discussion with them about this particular problem.

Bmcgill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Had to have my starter replaced when it completely failed the same time the engine died. I would push for a starter replacement. I have the same year. 2020 ecodiesel 4x4 Laramie 1500. It could still be under warranty.

OP
OP
C

colomountains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
Had to have my starter replaced when it completely failed the same time the engine died. I would push for a starter replacement. I have the same year. 2020 ecodiesel 4x4 Laramie 1500. It could still be under warranty.
Thanks, I will talk to the dealer and have the starter replace, since I am still under warranty.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Have them load test the battery, although the machine the dealerships are supposed to use doesn't always catch a bad battery.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Stab in the dark here, but is it a classic or is it a new generation? If it's a classic, have you (or previous owner) had it SofaKing tuned? They have a problem with their tunes not remote-starting in cold weather.

**Edited for my ignorance** I don't think they made a model year 2020 classic. Disregard my statement....

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My 16 hemi will not remote start at 1/4 tank or less. Is it possible the incline is causing the ECM to read fuel to low to start ?

OP
OP
C

colomountains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
Thanks for the replies, I took the truck back to the dealer and asked they check the starter and there were no problems. The next step is the load on the battery. I also try to keep the tank at least half most of the time.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
remote starting a Ram with a 1/4 or less tank of fuel
is a Safety backup

First Safety is a Timed Period after a Remote Start
The 2nd Safety i think is if the truck continues to run, you could empty your fuel tank

a word of advice, you should not Tell the Service Advisor what they should & should not do,

Just ask questions that would lead them to consider doing what you want

You don't want the SA to make a mistake & Then tell the SERVICE MANAGER that " You Told Him To Do IT"

Last edited:

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When did remote start cease operation at 1/4 or below? It must be a eco thing as all other models don’t care as long as the low fuel light isn’t illuminated.

The owners manual lists everything that will prevent remote start from functioning.

I have had to do the remote start button sequence press twice due to low temps on 18 CTD. It starts below 1/4 tank as long as no warning lights are lit, as listed in the owners manual.