2020. No crank no start 5.7 L hemi.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brody1975

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First off love this site now down to business so I want to crank my truck it’s a 2020 ram 1500 Big Horn push button start the very last bit of the cranking cycle. The starter was winding really bad like barely turning it over. I was sudden nothing no, Craig no start all the lights on the dash are on service, airbags, security system, light or should I say antitheft red light every light you can imagine is odd in the dash and, it’s not giving off any codes when plugged into the computer or tuner. I’m kind of at a loss right now not sure really where to go. I did replace the starter yesterday and used a jumper to see if the starter actually worked after installed and yes it does. The old starter was actually burn up and bad 5.7 L hemi everything else works. Just absolutely no noise no crank when pushing to start at antitheft code is on radio tells me to enter an antitheft code. 5.7 L hemi everything else works. Just absolutely no noise no crank when pushing to start at antitheft code is on radio tells me to enter a antitheft code. You guys got any clue as to what to do.

OP
OP
B

Brody1975

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I also forgot to mention it has been to two different dealers, and their diagnosis is we don’t know what’s wrong with it because when we plug it in, it’s not giving us anything it’s not letting us read the motherboard

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Battery? Cable? Connections? Hard to believe the dealer can't find anything? Your still under warranty, aren't you?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Security system activated, he said it was looking for security code. OP would have to research on how to reset security system. Typical dealer, ahhhhh, no code on code reader, we can not duplicate, grrrrrrr. All IMHO... @ Superdroid: Isn't there is a starter relay in the TIPM, that could have gone bad, open fuse box under hood, and research that, all I can think of without being there. Also, relay for fuel pump? Not sure if there is also a fuse related.

If he is cranking and cranking, wonder if fuel pump fuse out, or pump not working, hmmmmmm. OP, when U push to on, not start, can you hear fuel pump whine?

OP: Is your truck E-Torque equipped>

INTERNET GUESSNOSIS: So hard to do when no codes and not there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Brody1975

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Battery? Cable? Connections? Hard to believe the dealer can't find anything? Your still under warranty, aren't you?
A battery cable and connections are all good. Everything shows good. Honestly, everything is good until you actually push the button to start the thing and the radio goes from playing two, wanting a antitheft code.

OP
OP
B

Brody1975

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, the dealer basically said if it’s not showing anything we plug it into the computer we don’t know what’s wrong with it and we don’t have any skills as far as old mechanics due to chase down a problem so basically you are was $400 for a diagnostic fee without the diagnosis

OP
OP
B

Brody1975

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The only thing that I found wrong with it was the starter and again I replace the starter last night. It wasn’t that bad I can get the starter to crank without a doubt when I hook my jumper to it other than that it’s DOA and I’m at a loss the trucks been down for almost 3 1/2 weeks due to the dealers not being able to find anything wrong with it.

OP
OP
B

Brody1975

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That’s the best part the truck is indeed under my extended warranty and I took it to the dealer where I bought the truck from and they basically won’t even look at it because they’re so backed up told me to take it to two other garage is that weren’t even dodge dealers

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like your: Sentry Key Immobilizer System is activated, since it wants an anti-theft code.

Research on how to reset the system, it is available ref Google. Dealer should be able to research and get the "pin number" for your truck. You may want to call
and mention this also to Service Dept. ALL I have for U. Big Time INTERNET GUESSNOSIS.

OP
OP
B

Brody1975

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like your: Sentry Key Immobilizer System is activated, since it wants an anti-theft code.

Research on how to reset the system, it is available ref Google. Dealer should be able to research and get the "pin number" for your truck. You may want to call
and mention this also to Service Dept. ALL I have for U. Big Time INTERNET GUESSNOSIS.
The radio works fine until you hit the run with the brake engaged when it tries to start. That’s what it wants that code.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
THIS IS JUST MY OPINION, I am not a Mechanic, just going by what you said, and I could be 100% wrong.

Immobilizer, well I think it is ne way. SO U need to see about getting a 4 digit pin pulled for the system so U can enter and see if U can even get to a start status. With the Immobilizer system active, the truck WILL not start. YOUR Dealer should have picked up on this. Take a Video on the Sequence and show your Dealer the No Start Status and vehicle requesting code, and see if they can get their head outta their 4 point contact and get you the 4 digit security code and see if that helps. All IMHO.

U can also google and see there are a few suggestions on trying to reset the Immobilizer system. I just do not know if any of these actions would help or not. I would be ALL over your Dealer on this, but that is how I am.

Last edited:

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also forgot to mention it has been to two different dealers, and their diagnosis is we don’t know what’s wrong with it because when we plug it in, it’s not giving us anything it’s not letting us read the motherboard
Does this truck have eTorque, what is the voltage at the battery when you're trying to crank it, it has to be at least 12.50 vdc to turn it over, if its 11.00 vdc it will not crank, check that first, I would try charging the battery and load test it, you may have a bad battery.

OP
OP
B

Brody1975

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does this truck have eTorque, what is the voltage at the battery when you're trying to crank it, it has to be at least 12.50 vdc to turn it over, if its 11.00 vdc it will not crank, check that first, I would try charging the battery and load test it, you may have a bad battery.
No etorq and absolutely checked battery and connections also checked pin 96 at pcm and fuse at I think 34 and all had power

OP
OP
B

Brody1975

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
THIS IS JUST MY OPINION, I am not a Mechanic, just going by what you said, and I could be 100% wrong.

Immobilizer, well I think it is ne way. SO U need to see about getting a 4 digit pin pulled for the system so U can enter and see if U can even get to a start status. With the Immobilizer system active, the truck WILL not start. YOUR Dealer should have picked up on this. Take a Video on the Sequence and show your Dealer the No Start Status and vehicle requesting code, and see if they can get their head outta their 4 point contact and get you the 4 digit security code and see if that helps. All IMHO.

U can also google and see there are a few suggestions on trying to reset the Immobilizer system. I just do not know if any of these actions would help or not. I would be ALL over your Dealer on this, but that is how I am.
Man, I called Chrysler. I called the one 800 number I was on the phone yesterday with them for an hour. She said that the truck Hass to be there three or four times for the same issue in order to make a complaint. This is the biggest crock of horse Doodoo I’ve ever seen in my life if something doesn’t have a quick I’m gonna take the rims and tires off the truck parked for the dealership I bought it from and tell him to have a good day.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man, I called Chrysler. I called the one 800 number I was on the phone yesterday with them for an hour. She said that the truck Hass to be there three or four times for the same issue in order to make a complaint. This is the biggest crock of horse Doodoo I’ve ever seen in my life if something doesn’t have a quick I’m gonna take the rims and tires off the truck parked for the dealership I bought it from and tell him to have a good day.
OK, sucks You gotta go through this, wat happens too frequently the Dealership MX sucks way too much in places, I am fortunate, have a decent dealership. DID U at least try and get the 4 digit radio pin from dealership so U can eliminate that issue?