2020 PW balancing problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sawman556

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Hey folks. A week ago I had 285/75R17 Nitto Trail Grapplers installed on my stock PW at my local Dodge dealer. They told me when I picked up the truck I might hear some clicking coming from the wheels and it's from the stickers they put on the tires from the factory. I thought that was weird, but I said ok. Even did it on dirt which didn't make sense. So after about 200 miles on these new tires I decided to take them off and see what's going on. The freaking wheel weights are hitting the calipers. WTF! There are a couple of marks on the calipers and inside the wheel. I can live with it because it just seems cosmetic. But how do they balance these correctly with the 17" wheels being so close to the calipers?
20200919_142236.jpg
20200919_142713.jpg
20200919_142654.jpg

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Looks like you had a lazy tech who not only scratched the crap out of your rims with the mounting machine but didn't take the time to balance the wheels with the weights more on the inside where clearance isn't an issue.
With that much weight on the tire I would suspect there might be a manufacturing defect.

OP
OP
sawman556

sawman556

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Looks like you had a lazy tech who not only scratched the crap out of your rims with the mounting machine but didn't take the time to balance the wheels with the weights more on the inside where clearance isn't an issue.
With that much weight on the tire I would suspect there might be a manufacturing defect.

Defect in the tire? They all look like that. I'm going to pull the other wheels tomorrow.

OP
OP
sawman556

sawman556

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I posted about this recently in my tire thread. There’s a thin weight that’s required for the PW rims to clear the caliper. Tire store did the same thing to me. I’d expect a dealer to know better.

Those are not the correct weights for your wheels.

Thanks for the reply. It's nice to know there are weights for them. I will call and ***** on Monday. Any pics of the correct weights?

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
that is not all that much weight. Toyo says that 1% of the total tire/wheel weight is acceptable ie if your wheel tire combo weighs 100lb you could have 16 ounces of weights. if you look at any new PW on the lot you will see that the factory uses clamp on weights on the inside of the wheels because there is not enough clearance for the stick on weights on the inside. on the outer inside of the wheel they use thin stick on weights. the one draw back to having big brakes and 17 inch wheels.6D4B05E8-2066-4829-A765-2CFE60B795AE.jpegADE44726-636F-4C1D-A07F-231B87DECCBA.jpeg

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would lose my ****. Mounting machine gouges in the rim, and thinking having weights hitting the caliper is ok? Somebody needs to try another career.

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
how about a side shot of the 285/75-17's. I like that size

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
when weights were solid lead they did not look like a lot of weight but now that they are tin or steel they look like a lot of weight even when not.

OP
OP
sawman556

sawman556

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I would lose my ****. Mounting machine gouges in the rim, and thinking having weights hitting the caliper is ok? Somebody needs to try another career.

I'm going to give them **** Monday. Not happy.

I'm going to pull the other 3 tomorrow. If they are all like that would I be wrong to want them replaced? I mean the truck cost me $63k and I have 1k miles on it.

Last edited:

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Weights are applied in wrong position. Must be closer to spoke/hub to clear caliper. May also need clip on to get it balanced. It sucks. My stuff was way out. Clown that balanced it used stick on, on top of stick on AND clip on. Most likely need to find a 4WD shop with tire service and road force balancer. Most dealers aren't equipped or have the personnel with skills to work on a Power Wagon. To them its just a run-of-the-mill 2500.

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pretty much any internal clamping tire machine is going to leave marks. nature of the beast the clamps are metal and usually has serated edges on the clamps to hold the wheel from moving while dismounting and mounting the tires.
I'm going to give them **** Monday. Not happy.

I'm going to pull the other 3 tomorrow. If they are all like that would I be wrong to want them replaced? I mean the truck cost me $63k and I have 1k miles on it.
pretty common if you think about how they work.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
pretty much any internal clamping tire machine is going to leave marks. nature of the beast the clamps are metal and usually has serated edges on the clamps to hold the wheel from moving while dismounting and mounting the tires.

pretty common if you think about how they work.
The clamps on a tire machine are designed to clamp both internal, and external, you never clamp an alloy wheel internal, always external.
Then on your other comments about yup to 16 oz weight on the wheel..... No... Not if you know how to use the machine. If it's calling for that much, is mismounted. Spin the tire on the rim.

As for the pic, it looks like they either tried to static balance the wheel, but didn't know the stick on weights go right behind the hub face, or they actually did a dynamic balance and used stick ons where a clamp weight should have been used or possibly low profile stick ons.. but that still looks too close fit low pros imo

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The clamps on a tire machine are designed to clamp both internal, and external, you never clamp an alloy wheel internal, always external.
Then on your other comments about yup to 16 oz weight on the wheel..... No... Not if you know how to use the machine. If it's calling for that much, is mismounted. Spin the tire on the rim.

As for the pic, it looks like they either tried to static balance the wheel, but didn't know the stick on weights go right behind the hub face, or they actually did a dynamic balance and used stick ons where a clamp weight should have been used or possibly low profile stick ons.. but that still looks too close fit low pros imo

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I agree on the weights I would hate a tire that took a pound of weight. I am just saying what Toyo told me. I had a 100 lb tire wheel combo and one took like 8 ounces and Toyo said that was ok. most shops do not have a a road balancer. Toyo puts marks on their tires for light and high spots and they recommend using the marks to line up to the valve stem but they still say 1% is acceptable.