Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dawny841

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello & welcome to my nightmare lol. I dont even know how to get this started so Im just going to get into it. I am on my second year of owner ship of a 2020 Ram 1500’classic SLT Crew Cab (Ontario) after driving this off a dealer lot last April. Its only
Got 35,000 km on it. Ive maintained it to the highest level only to notice some things the last few days. Not only has my hood pitted rust on the under side, its now bubbling on the surface. The quarter panel has wholes appearing in the paint as if moisture is literally trying to eat its way through. Spots of corrosion or rust coming through the Hemi badge letters (in-between). Now If thats not poopy after replacing an entire steering rack recently which failed causing an incident with my self & a highway exit . I now noticed the inside passenger side door lip (third exterior part) is not only peeling its chipping & cracking! Im beyond shocked and honestly if I didn't extend the warranty I would be bankrupt and out of a vehicle. While considering all that does anyone really want to replace there vehicle piece by piece knowing its gotta be torn apart… “ yes its covered which i pay for via payments” i then wonder why even buy a vehicle if all that Ram sells is problems?” I already know its future” oh & then theres the rental Ill need plus deposit while its in for body work and new parts but this is not considering time or jobs that pay for these vehicles but Heres the cherry On top for me, the original Dealer pushed me off sending me else where because they cant handle the smoke. Ive contacted FCA and 0 answers. Im here with this headache wondering what others would do? & or is there a anyone else enduring the same issue so early? All opinions welcomed.

(Yes everything seems minimal but remember this is rust thats pitted on a 58,000 dollar truck which Im suppose to pay for LoL)

Attachments

• image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 52
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0199.jpeg
    IMG_0199.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0201.jpeg
    IMG_0201.jpeg
    90.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0202.jpeg
    IMG_0202.jpeg
    118 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0044.jpeg
    IMG_0044.jpeg
    97.5 KB · Views: 49

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I'd start by making a warranty claim with a dealer.

Then I'd PM @RamCares here and let them know you have a problem.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Then post it in 4th gen because that's what you have lol.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Sorry if I missed it, but have you had a dealer look at it? Getting them to address corrosion problems is always a problem, but I've had great success calmly and persistently sweet talking my way up the dealer management chain to get similar issues fixed in the past with Nissan and Ford products that were just beyond 3yrs/36K miles.

The hoods are aluminum. Paint adhesion is always a concern and aluminum can corrode just like most other metals.
My 2019 classic was blue streak pearl, while it had 100's of small stone chips down the rocker panels, lots on the hood and some really bad ones along the top of the windshield, the only ones that started to present rust were above the the windshield. I had some undercarriage rust on the body that I had touched up a few times as well.

Last edited:

Ralph Mauro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2016 1500 SLT Classic 4th gen. Aluminum hood.
Had a crack in the paint just above the latch which they covered under warranty no questions, it was about 2 years old 34,000 km.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I'd start by making a warranty claim with a dealer.

Then I'd PM @RamCares here and let them know you have a problem.
Thank you so much for tagging us in this as it is the best way to get a hold of us. Because OP is located in Canada, we'd recommend reaching out Ram Customer Care in Canada. They can be reached via direct messaging on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/ramtruckscanada or by phone here: 1-800-465-2001

Callie
Ram Cares

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Was this a brand new truck when you bought it?

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I've moved all the BS antagonism from this thread. Don't make us revisit this.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
It's possible that you bought a truck that has been in an accident sometime in it's early life and had shoddy paint and body repairs done?

Did you check to see if Carfax or equivalent gives your truck an clean record?

Just am wondering ...

Imo, alot of vehicles can still be sold "under the radar "(repairs done) and the seller (most definitely an individual) won't disclose all ... and hopefully I'm wrong, but maybe not...

Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Last edited:

GRKN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The hoods on the 4th Gen are indeed aluminum.
Oh I didn’t know, are they all the way back to 09? Or did it change somewhere along the way do you know

Bandit1859

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello & welcome to my nightmare lol. I dont even know how to get this started so Im just going to get into it. I am on my second year of owner ship of a 2020 Ram 1500’classic SLT Crew Cab (Ontario) after driving this off a dealer lot last April. Its only
Got 35,000 km on it. Ive maintained it to the highest level only to notice some things the last few days. Not only has my hood pitted rust on the under side, its now bubbling on the surface. The quarter panel has wholes appearing in the paint as if moisture is literally trying to eat its way through. Spots of corrosion or rust coming through the Hemi badge letters (in-between). Now If thats not poopy after replacing an entire steering rack recently which failed causing an incident with my self & a highway exit . I now noticed the inside passenger side door lip (third exterior part) is not only peeling its chipping & cracking! Im beyond shocked and honestly if I didn't extend the warranty I would be bankrupt and out of a vehicle. While considering all that does anyone really want to replace there vehicle piece by piece knowing its gotta be torn apart… “ yes its covered which i pay for via payments” i then wonder why even buy a vehicle if all that Ram sells is problems?” I already know its future” oh & then theres the rental Ill need plus deposit while its in for body work and new parts but this is not considering time or jobs that pay for these vehicles but Heres the cherry On top for me, the original Dealer pushed me off sending me else where because they cant handle the smoke. Ive contacted FCA and 0 answers. Im here with this headache wondering what others would do? & or is there a anyone else enduring the same issue so early? All opinions welcomed.

(Yes everything seems minimal but remember this is rust thats pitted on a 58,000 dollar truck which Im suppose to pay for LoL)
You should have a paint body warranty. Maybe 5th 60000 miles. I know Jeeps do

OP
OP
Dawny841

Dawny841

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's possible that you bought a truck that has been in an accident sometime in it's early life and had shoddy paint and body repairs done?

Did you check to see if Carfax or equivalent gives your truck an clean record?

Just am wondering ...

Imo, alot of vehicles can still be sold "under the radar "(repairs done) and the seller (most definitely an individual) won't disclose all ... and hopefully I'm wrong, but maybe not...

Good luck on whatever you decide to do.
Honestly the car fax is clean and this comment has me wondering if the Ram Dealership are able to hide or not disclose that kind of stuff as wouldn't that be illegal. Also you would think with proper action that would default the contract in my favour?.

OP
OP
Dawny841

Dawny841

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You should have a paint body warranty. Maybe 5th 60000 miles. I know Jeeps do
You are correct but my issue here is being new for me, there has to be a better way then replacing part by part when they know and basically have agreed the paint has issues. So it just has me wondering because I have 3 parts ready currently and they now have to look at all the doors.

shmedley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had that issue on my 14 (bought new) on the hood and on the driver fender after a little over 2 years. After numerous times with the dealer the finally got those repainted.
Too bad it took them to take the interior apart for a recall with an axe and hammer (broke 3 panels and didn't say anything until I said something and then played dumb) and me complaining more before did anything got done.
The paint on the bottom of the passenger fender had bubbled and peeled a few weeks after getting it back, I knew nothing would be done about it if I complained.
The dealer got my Chrysler lifetime extended warranty canceled (no reason or refund ) after this as a nice addition

OP
OP
Dawny841

Dawny841

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Woah, what did you do after all of this if you dont mind me asking cause I almost dont want it ripped apart lol I mean who wants something that once taken apart usually never goes back the same. The worst is I cant seem to even trade out of this where it makes sense as the high cost compared to vehicle costs today basically knocks me down quite a bit and still leaves me paying the same for example I can trade in the ram and still pay similar cost but end up in a car or midsize truck if the inventory allows it that is

Last edited:

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
My understanding is that the panel needs to be rusted through for them to do something about it. Also the hood is a common issue, water/salt gets trapped in the open undersides of the hood and sits and corrodes the aluminum hood from the inside. That causes the paint to bubble on the outside. Once it starts you can't get rid of it and it happened on my 14 express and my co workers 18 big horn. On my 18 laramie when I got it new I sprayed alot of fluid film in the holes pushing towards the front of the hood, coating the inside. This has kept my hood from bubbling since new and I got it in 2018. My 14 was bubbling before my lease was up at 39 months. I wonder if the car had been touched up outside of insurance and no history on the truck.