2020 Ram 1500 diesel price revealed, beats Chevy and Ford

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texan279

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 3.0-liter turbocharged V6 will cost Ram 1500 pickup buyers $4,995 more than the base V6 and $3,000 more than the popular Hemi V8, with the lowest priced model equipped with it coming in at $38,585.

The price is significantly less than the cheapest Chevy Silverado 1500 and Ford F-150 diesels, which go for $45,200 and $46,225. That’s because Ram offers its engine in every trim level, including the work trucks, while Chevy and Ford currently reserve their diesels for a limited number of higher-end models.

Ram is also claiming the light-duty diesel pickup towing crown with a top rating of 12,560 pounds, while the most the F-150 and Silverado can pull are 11,400 pounds and 9,300 pounds in currently available configurations.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/2020-ram-1500-diesel-price-revealed-beats-chevy-and-ford

mlrtimemach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Tradesman 4X4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have no clue why the manufacturers want to build diesel half tons.
Prolly for the same reason that people buy trucks an don't use them for anything more than grocery shopping. Just because they can.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I have no clue why the manufacturers want to build diesel half tons.

Truck manufacturers do not want to hurt profits but still need to meet CAFE numbers for fuel economy. For them it is a win win if they can sell their customers the vastly more expensive diesel engines (initial cost, operating costs, repair costs) and get the customers to foot the bill for the additional maintenance and very expensive repairs (I can completely rebuild a gas engine for less than the cost to replace the injectors on my diesel engine).

The only advantage of a small diesel in a 1/2 ton pickup for its owner is much greater range on a tankful of diesel and the option to buy and install a much larger capacity aftermarket diesel fuel tank (not possible with gas powered pickups). Something like the Rebel with the small diesel engine would be a great rock crawler for the back country.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Manufacturers thought people would buy Edsels and Aztecs, too.....
Both Ford and GM wrote off half ton diesels years ago, then Ram put the EcoDiesel in a half ton and a couple of years later they both have half ton diesels in the works. People want them and manufacturers are making money on them.
I get better fuel economy driving in the city than a Hemi on the freeway and I get 14-15 mpgs towing an 8K lbs trailer.

The Aztec didn't sell because the design prototype was drove through the ugly forest.

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
Manufacturers are dropping diesels out of their lineups all over the world. The Rivian and Ford EV's will pull all the people buying half ton diesels just for fuel economy. The Rivian has a 400 mile range and Ford showed theirs pulling train freight cars. I've owned plenty of diesels over the years and there's no way I would own one as a daily driver/commuter vehicle.

Kyfarmer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does anyone know the real world mpg on the 2nd gen ecodiesel they are putting in the 2019 classic?

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
Does anyone know the real world mpg on the 2nd gen ecodiesel they are putting in the 2019 classic?
The same epa ratings for the 14-18, then 19+ classics.

I would check fuelly

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
Manufacturers are dropping diesels out of their lineups all over the world. The Rivian and Ford EV's will pull all the people buying half ton diesels just for fuel economy. The Rivian has a 400 mile range and Ford showed theirs pulling train freight cars. I've owned plenty of diesels over the years and there's no way I would own one as a daily driver/commuter vehicle.

pretty sure I would never buy a butt ugly Rivian truck. the base price is nearly 70,000 and my typical trip in my ram is from dfw to new mexico or colorado. I can usually get to Taos in 9-10 hrs. but if I had an electric vehicle of some kind I would have to stop twice to recharge..not going to happen for me. besides, I think the folks I know that think they have to have a dsl. like to hear the sound of it..maybe the Rivian could add the pre-recorded sound of a combustion motor for those buyers.

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mathematically speaking...what is the real gain here? I would imagine it would take YEARS to really make the eco worth the buy. Meaning...$300 more than a HEMI, and at least .40 to .50 cents higher than regular at the pump, all for 5-7 more mpg? I'm not a math expert but I would assume it would take many years to actually make the purchase worth it.
The point from Ram is the numbers...you're getting better MPG and higher torque than the HEMI so just buy it. People looking just at those two alone will buy the eco.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
From the point of view as a FCA tech I personally wouldn’t buy an eco diesel. The extra cost for initial purchase,fuel,maintenance and repairs doesn’t make it worth it.

Not to mention the new eco diesel has even more emissions devices strapped to it now I only foresee even more issues. There’s now 2 EGR coolers and valves, where as before there was one. They’ve added an exhaust diverter valve as well for the secondary EGR system.

It’s getting harder and harder for manufactures to make light duty diesels meet emissions and still deliver what people want. I’ve also heard rumours at training courses that FCA maybe getting out of the light duty diesel market all together by the mid 20s, keeping the Cummins of course though.

Last edited:

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
in my case, I would never be able to put enough miles on one to reach the break even point. I would only be interested in the 2020 dsl. if for only a few thousand more it might make the 1500 a better tow vehicle for my travel trailer but my laramie already can tow a much heavier trailer than I have the cargo capacity for. I imagine adding the dsl. would reduce cargo capacity even more. I could trade for a 2500 that has a higher cargo rating but weighs 1000# more empty and has only a little more powerful motor than a 1500. it would be nice if there was an option in the 2500's between the 6.4 and the 9000$ dsl upgrade.

Kyfarmer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The same epa ratings for the 14-18, then 19+ classics.

I would check fuelly
Yeah but a lot of peeps had their 14s detuned as a part of recall. There was even a lawsuit due to the early ones not passing smog checks. I was wondering if the factory fixed the new ones.

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
Yeah but a lot of peeps had their 14s detuned as a part of recall. There was even a lawsuit due to the early ones not passing smog checks. I was wondering if the factory fixed the new ones.
Yes but if you keep searching lotsa reports from owners stating no real mpg changes and no noticeable lag.

Also this is same tune for the 17+ that was put on stop sell till the tune was approved. This is why FCA denies anything and truck runs as designed or else they will have to deal with the 17+ my as well