2020 ram 2500 6.4L mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NEhemi_man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Hey, I’m new to the board and am in search of some mods for my new truck. Just purchased and looking for the best bang for your buck mods to increase acceleration, pulling power, and throttle response. Any help or insight would be appreciated.

I have read about putting headers on them is supposed to help a great deal. Any advice on which kind?
Also was thinking about putting a S&B cai on it...is it worth it?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure for 2020 but check arh for headers. And the 6.4 airbox is actually pretty good. I have a 2017 5.7 and upgraded to the 6.4 airbox as it accepts a larger filter compared to the 5.7 airbox. I’m adding an aev snorkel in the future but the factory setup is decent for cold air and most actual kits use the factory setup for cold air. Only difference is filter type and size in the good reputable kits. S&b is among the top of the line. Other option is to reroute the horn that turns into the fender and use 4” or larger tubing to draw air from behind the grill or the bumper.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I doubt you can install an cai that is as good as the stock air box. I just checked my filter and it is pretty nice set up for stock. Nobody makes a tuner yet for the 2019-2020 so even if you could get a little better air flow which really does not seem possible I doubt you would see any gain. You could always go down a couple sizes on the tires and get a bit better acceleration..just kidding but not a lot to do on these.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You are going to dump thousands of $ in it for just a couple HP if you are lucky. Not to mention probably voiding your engine warranty in the process. It's hard to squeeze much out of these newer engines without diving deep.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
ARH headers will pick up more then just a couple of HP/TQ. Not cheap but they work very well for a bolt on mod. You can run them without a tune although I did get an occasional converter code (even with cats).

If you're concerned with warranty then I'd focus on a higher stall converter and a tune once it's available. If you purchase an unlocked PCM for the tune then at least it can easily be swapped when the truck goes in for service. Intake stuff looks/sounds good but it's not going to make a 7000+ truck much faster.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The benefit of good headers goes beyond 30-40 more ft-lbs of torque - they also fix the crappy Ram design exhaust manifolds that warp and break bolt heads.

Ram's "fix-as-fail" strategy is to wait until they fail, see if you still have warranty, then replace with the same crap. In my state putting headers on is ruled emissions tampering by the government, but they don't check. Just be aware.

ARH & AFE offer headers. Kooks seems to use more rust resistant SS than the others using 304L (L for weldability), but I don't know what. Kooks doesn't stock 6.4L header design either.

OP
OP
N

NEhemi_man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Thanks for all the replies guys. At this point kinda leaning on just putting headers on since that seems the most logical with no tunes out there for this truck yet.
Is there anything cheaper than the arh headers out there? They look good but holy cow are expensive.
Also, has anyone tried to take the catalytic converters off and run straight duals, or will that throw too many codes?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the replies guys. At this point kinda leaning on just putting headers on since that seems the most logical with no tunes out there for this truck yet.
Is there anything cheaper than the arh headers out there? They look good but holy cow are expensive.
Also, has anyone tried to take the catalytic converters off and run straight duals, or will that throw too many codes?
If you install headers you need to run the y pipe as well and some offer catless y pipe. Arh is top of the line on fitment and quality. That’s why they cost so much. Stainless works is great too but not sure if they offer one for your truck.

Wadejesu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Livernoismotorsports.com makes a tuner, I have one, I didn't think the ARH headers were compatible yet, thought there was an issue with xover pipe or maybe that was just the 3500, not sure. Throttle booster helps also.

OP
OP
N

NEhemi_man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Wadejesu what do u think of the tuner?
Also what are your thoughts on the throttle booster? Are they both worth it? Does either void the warranty?

cms1528

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check out the Pedal Commander.

RAM-pagingMN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diablosport just released the Pulsar which seems to get decent reviews. 8 modes, up to 30hp and 30tq peak to peak, which i doubt. but it also lets you adjust throttle response, which i can attest changes the whole truck feel. I have the pedal commander and can easily do a 50 ft burnout on sport +4.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Diablosport just released the Pulsar which seems to get decent reviews. 8 modes, up to 30hp and 30tq peak to peak, which i doubt. but it also lets you adjust throttle response, which i can attest changes the whole truck feel. I have the pedal commander and can easily do a 50 ft burnout on sport +4.

It's been out more than a year. I put mine on last year. Better responsiveness and pull.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pedal Commander, Pulsar, intake, headers are all good options.

If we can help let us know as we offer all of these options. Just send me a message for info and pricing

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Really? are you using 91 octane? any drawbacks so far?

You said: Diablosport just released the Pulsar which seems to get decent reviews. 8 modes, up to 30hp and 30tq peak to peak, which i doubt. but it also lets you adjust throttle response, which i can attest changes the whole truck feel. I have the pedal commander and can easily do a 50 ft burnout on sport +4.

91 octane is only for use on Pulsar's "Performance" tune setting. I'm not running a heavy duty race truck. I run mine for max economy deadhead and max torque towing. 89 octane is used for those. The ignition timing map is set for that rating.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Hey, I’m new to the board and am in search of some mods for my new truck. Just purchased and looking for the best bang for your buck mods to increase acceleration, pulling power, and throttle response. Any help or insight would be appreciated.

I have read about putting headers on them is supposed to help a great deal. Any advice on which kind?
Also was thinking about putting a S&B cai on it...is it worth it?

Stay away from @Nick@GotExhaust his prices are too good he'll take all your money and your truck will run like you want it too