2020 Ram 2500 CP 4 Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Harold Barnes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Ok so I bought a new 2020 Ram 2500 in December 30, 2019. Got 7023 miles on it with a Cp4 failure. Guess I should have done better homework.

RedneckHippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi w/ MDS
Ok so I bought a new 2020 Ram 2500 in December 30, 2019. Got 7023 miles on it with a Cp4 failure. Guess I should have done better homework.
Holy balls, at least you got it out of the way now Instead of outside of warranty. But that is disconcerting.

OP
OP
H

Harold Barnes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
I am not even sure they are going to cover it. I know with the Ford and GMC lawsuits manufacturers tried to blame it on the fuel. Both Ford and GMC both changed brand of injector pumps to stop the failures. I know this makes metal but I’m wondering if the metal makes it into the engine.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Shoulda done better homework?? No amount of “homework” will tell you whether somethin’s gonna happen or not. Just be glad it happened under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

Harold Barnes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Shoulda done better homework?? No amount of “homework” will tell you whether somethin’s gonna happen or not. Just be glad it happened under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I guess I meant I might not gone with Ram if I would have know of their use of the Infamous CP4. I needed a HD diesel truck for my fifth wheel. I fell in love with the Ram. I wish they had not used the CP4.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
If they give you a hard time, these guys are working a class action suit on the CP4 for breach of warranty.

https://www.forthepeople.com/class-action-lawyers/cp4-pump-failure-lawsuit/

PS. The failures seem to be lubrication related. the pump relies on the fuel for lubrication. Might want to think about using something like Diesel Kleen to increase the lubricity of the fuel once you get the pump replaced. Not a guarantee against future failures but it does improve the fuel lubricity.

Last edited:

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I thought Ford was still using the CP4? I have talked to pump guys, and the Denso system that GM went to is not stellar, either. Did you drain the water separator? Did your WIF light ever come on? Did it happen soon after filling/adding fuel?

Are you a TDR member, also?

OP
OP
H

Harold Barnes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
I thought Ford was still using the CP4? I have talked to pump guys, and the Denso system that GM went to is not stellar, either. Did you drain the water separator? Did your WIF light ever come on? Did it happen soon after filling/adding fuel?

Are you a TDR member, also?
No lights or warnings. Just the screaming of the pump and a ruff idle. I was on the way to work. I had just driven about 10miles at 70mph. I always stop at a store before work to get some things and let the truck idle for a few to cool the turbo. When I stopped (this truck is so quiet inside) I thought I heard squeaking. That’s when it shut off for good. Ram took fuel samples all were good. I never let the fuel go much below half a tank. Fuel is $1.55. I was about 200 miles into this tank of fuel. No water in the fuel. My understanding is that the pump cavitates with air in it causing this issue. I had been using my exhaust brake hauling my fifth wheel the day before and do use it from time to time. I had thinking that could cause air and cavitation. Cummins is footing the bill not Chrysler. I am not a member TDR. Is that another forum?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
With the number of CP4 that have been reported well over the 100K and 200K mark, I think Bosch has the bugs out of them. There is actually 3 confirmed EcoDs that use the CP4 HPFP that have gone over 300K miles. The fact yours puked with less than 10K means it was most likely a bad pump. It's highly unlikely that both fuel filters were defective.
Go-to the dealer and pull your own fuel sample and have it tested yourself if the dealer balks. Same goes for anyone in the similar situation.
As for metal in the engine, unless the HPFP physically destroyed the gear-train that drives it, there would be microscopic to no metal particles coming out of the business end of a diesel injector.

OP
OP
H

Harold Barnes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
With the number of CP4 that have been reported well over the 100K and 200K mark, I think Bosch has the bugs out of them. There is actually 3 confirmed EcoDs that use the CP4 HPFP that have gone over 300K miles. The fact yours puked with less than 10K means it was most likely a bad pump. It's highly unlikely that both fuel filters were defective.
Go-to the dealer and pull your own fuel sample and have it tested yourself if the dealer balks. Same goes for anyone in the similar situation.
As for metal in the engine, unless the HPFP physically destroyed the gear-train that drives it, there would be microscopic to no metal particles coming out of the business end of a diesel injector.
Just left the dealer fuel samples are good. Cummins is paying for the repair under warranty.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
How could you have cavitation when Ram uses a lift pump to push the fuel to the CP4, and if the filters were not causing undue restriction? Exhaust brake has nothing to do with it. Cummins supplied the engines to Ram, but Ram is who warantees it. This story does not add up.

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Seeing more than a few reports of failures on the 2019+ HD Facebook page. Ford is still using the same pump. I have to admit the CP4 was a factor in why I went gas.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Seeing more than a few reports of failures on the 2019+ HD Facebook page. Ford is still using the same pump. I have to admit the CP4 was a factor in why I went gas.
I don't have a bookface account. Are they public groups? Got a link?

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Someone who I consider trustworthy, with direct access at FCA, has said that the parts draw rate of CP4s is nearly zero, so that's why separating the wheat from the chaff is important. I could create a bookface account and say mine blew up, but it wouldn't make it so.

OP
OP
H

Harold Barnes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
How could you have cavitation when Ram uses a lift pump to push the fuel to the CP4, and if the filters were not causing undue restriction? Exhaust brake has nothing to do with it. Cummins supplied the engines to Ram, but Ram is who warantees it. This story does not add up.

How could I h
All I know is what I am told. Frankly I don’t care who pays for it or what caused it. I just want it fixed with out me footing the bill.
as far as air, water and the lack of lubricity of our fuel here in the US causing the CP4 to fail it only what is posted on all the forums and Youtube. So what are the real reasons? Does anybody know from extensive test of the CP4 under these conditions to find the reasons for the failures? The million dollar question!

OP
OP
H

Harold Barnes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Is the pump still pumping when you take your foot of the gas? So it is supplying 29k psi to the fuel rail even when it is not needed, does it shut off? Where is the fuel going when the injectors are only letting enough fuel through for idle? What happens to extra fuel thats not needed ? Is going in a return to the tank. If so is the return allowing the pump to run lean or dry? If so that would cause the problem if our fuel already has a problem lubricating the pump. Just asking questions, theorizing. I am not diesel mechanic but I have work on Aircraft for 23 years.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
I think we’re barking up the wrong tree here.

Bosch is building pumps to the manufacturer’s specifications for high pressure diesel applications. Higher pressure and lower volume sounds like a lubrication nightmare to me. Add to it the U.S. ultra low sulfur diesel which has lower lubricity properties due to lower sulfur content.

The last diesel I owned had the CP3 pump which was fantastic. It was lower pressure but flowed like a sieve and lubrication was never an issue. None of my tractors ever had an issue and made it to over a half million miles without issue.

This sounds like the EPA getting in the way and creating issues by overregulation.