2020 Ram 2500 CP 4 Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

Harold Barnes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
That video, to me, clearly illustrates how much more stout the CP3 design is in every way, especially the bottom end. Cummins and Ram should be ashamed to have gone to the CP4. I just DO NOT buy into the "we needed it for higher rail pressure" BS. The CP4 is lighter weight, and is cheaper to manufacture, and that is why we are saddled with it.
I agree fully that is why I posted the Video.

OP
OP
H

Harold Barnes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
So I have been On the phone with customer care. I was told they would send me up the chain for a buy back but would depend on them to approve. Doesn’t sound promising. Truck has been in the shop since the 14th. Only a few of the parts have come in. I expressed my concern about metal in the engine. Also the scratches on my grill and front fenders from the tech leaning over them to work on the truck without protection pads. My truck onhad a few imperfections on it when it was towed in to them. Keep you guys updated.

Felt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
6.7L
@Harold Barnes thanks for posting and definitely keep us updated. I just bought a 2019 Ram 2500 6.7L. I'm overseas working so not sure when I can get any miles on it. Right now it has 75 miles. I am researching all that I can find. I'm leaning towards just doing a conversion kit to a CP3 and be done with it. I won't be home anytime soon so I'm just going to see if anything changes or gets recalled (doubtful) until then.

WWDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 & 1998
Engine
5.9 Gas & 5.9 Diesel
I have two Diesels, one Jeep and the other a Dodge, one with a CP3 and the other with a VP44. I pour in a small amount of a mixture of cheap (non-synthetic) 2 cycle oil, Diesel Kleen, and Marvel Mystery Oil in both my diesels to protect the injection pumps. Today's ultra low sulfur diesel fuel does not contain enough lubricity in it to protect the internals of injection pumps. I put in 1 qt. in the Jeep at fillup, and 2 qts in the Dodge due to the much larger fuel tank. A diesel racer told me about adding this mixture to the fuel.

OP
OP
H

Harold Barnes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
I have two Diesels, one Jeep and the other a Dodge, one with a CP3 and the other with a VP44. I pour in a small amount of a mixture of cheap (non-synthetic) 2 cycle oil, Diesel Kleen, and Marvel Mystery Oil in both my diesels to protect the injection pumps. Today's ultra low sulfur diesel fuel does not contain enough lubricity in it to protect the internals of injection pumps. I put in 1 qt. in the Jeep at fillup, and 2 qts in the Dodge due to the much larger fuel tank. A diesel racer told me about adding this mixture to the fuel.
I will also in the future have some type of additive in my fuel.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Can you explain? Does additive cause problems for the DPF?
I don't see adding Stanadyne or some other additive designed for that purpose, and states DPF safe, as being an issue. I do see adding some of the witches brews of two-stroke oil, ATF, and myriad other things that you could get away with on mechanical engines, being a potential threat to the emissions systems on the new trucks. Even engine oils have been reformulated to try to prevent DPF fouling.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Paging Harold Barnes, please pick up the nearest white courtesy phone.

OP
OP
H

Harold Barnes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Sorry guys for not posting a conclusion to my problem. To be quite honest I wasn’t sure it was fixed or if it would last. It blew at 7023 miles. I got it back 30 days later on a Friday with 7044 miles. The next weekend we hooked up our fifth wheel and went to the lake. No problems. The next week we pulled the fifth wheel 850 miles round trip (12mpg) to the Appalachians. I got 11500 miles now with no issues. I did try a fuel additive after the mountains trip. I have been using Bestline Diesel extreme. My truck has never run as smooth as it does with this additive. It doesn’t even sound like a diesel at times. The drawback is the price. $25 a quart that treats 250 gallons. For me thats 8 oz. per tank. So far so good but I am still going with a CP3 replacement and a delete as soon as the warranty is over. All of the repair was covered under warranty.

138E6371-8515-4A3F-BE86-4F3DAEF590F5.png

JRS950

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Sorry guys for not posting a conclusion to my problem. To be quite honest I wasn’t sure it was fixed or if it would last. It blew at 7023 miles. I got it back 30 days later on a Friday with 7044 miles. The next weekend we hooked up our fifth wheel and went to the lake. No problems. The next week we pulled the fifth wheel 850 miles round trip (12mpg) to the Appalachians. I got 11500 miles now with no issues. I did try a fuel additive after the mountains trip. I have been using Bestline Diesel extreme. My truck has never run as smooth as it does with this additive. It doesn’t even sound like a diesel at times. The drawback is the price. $25 a quart that treats 250 gallons. For me thats 8 oz. per tank. So far so good but I am still going with a CP3 replacement and a delete as soon as the warranty is over. All of the repair was covered under warranty.

View attachment 218498

Very glad to hear that it has worked out for you so far. I'll have to look into the treatment you mentioned. Hopefully you will be able to enjoy your truck.

Felt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
6.7L
There was talk on another forum about FCA replacing the CP4 with a CP3. Not a recall but if you have the catastrophic failure then they will replace it with the CP3 instead of replacing it with another CP4. We'll see....

Felt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
6.7L
@Harold Barnes did you get to see a work order or anything that detailed what they did as far as replaced injectors, pump, cleaned fuel tank, etc? I'm assuming the dealer didn't mention anything about going back to the CP3 if it happens again or anything about it?

Did the dealer suggest the additive? They could say that is the problem if it happens again. It depends on the dealer I guess. Some will be helpful others want to blame you and not honor warranty.

Glad you're up and running!