2020 Ram 2500 CP 4 Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I read the announcement that any CP4 failures on 2019-20 HDs would be replaced with the CP3.

Wish I had saved that announcement because now I can't find it.

That was another reason I went from ED to Hemi, ref the CP4's and the EGR's. But alas, maybe FCA figured it out and will do PPL right. Guess we shall see.

silverdogz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Our 2020 Ram has also had the CP4 fail on it at 7300 miles and less than 6 months of ownership.

We had a hiccup occur while towing 24' trailer up hill and then the dash flashed up the Emergency Emissions Inspection warning and then Service Electronic Throttle light. Loss of power to near nothing and then the truck just wouldn't start.

Looks like the metal made it up to the engine, hopefully not inside. The Dealer it's at is also 200+ miles away from home.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Harold Barnes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
@Harold Barnes did you get to see a work order or anything that detailed what they did as far as replaced injectors, pump, cleaned fuel tank, etc? I'm assuming the dealer didn't mention anything about going back to the CP3 if it happens again or anything about it?

Did the dealer suggest the additive? They could say that is the problem if it happens again. It depends on the dealer I guess. Some will be helpful others want to blame you and not honor warranty.

Glad you're up and running!

They replaced everything except the fuel tank. They cleaned it out. $15k in parts and 25 man hours labor. Cummins paid for it.

OP
OP
H

Harold Barnes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
@Harold Barnes did you get to see a work order or anything that detailed what they did as far as replaced injectors, pump, cleaned fuel tank, etc? I'm assuming the dealer didn't mention anything about going back to the CP3 if it happens again or anything about it?

Did the dealer suggest the additive? They could say that is the problem if it happens again. It depends on the dealer I guess. Some will be helpful others want to blame you and not honor warranty.

Glad you're up and running!

To the best of my knowledge the put a cp4 back on it because I requested a cp3 from customer care but she said she didn’t think they could do it.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
My buddies 2020 Cummins work truck 16k miles. Pretty sure it’s cp4 pump as well. Even the service guy was like “yeahhh we think we know but gotta be 100% sure” lololol. Good think he don’t pay for the truck. But it did leave him stranded

D9FE612C-6FA7-45B9-BE86-6E7C3623F3DF.jpeg

OP
OP
H

Harold Barnes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
I got 26000 plus miles now with no other problems. Three 1500 miles trips towing my 10k fifth wheel. I get 20+ miles per when no towing. Averaged 12 towing.

OP
OP
H

Harold Barnes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
I am wondering to if my fuel makes a difference. I always buy fuel at the same place when I am home. It is 20% biodiesel. May be more lubricity.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
How did Bosch monopolize the modern diesel fuel pump market? Did they buy out everybody else?

snaps3500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
If you guys do some research on some fuel additives you will see that Hot Shot secrets released a product that is called LX4 and is designed to add a good amount of Lubricant to the fuel in your truck. This reduces the friction within the injector pump which helps keep the pump intact and reduces the excessive wear. They have a good explanation on their website in regards to the fuel in the USA and how low the sulfur content is, which causes lower lubrication and scar damage to the pump material. Add additives to keep you on the road and possibly stop from being stranded along the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Some of that is scare stories - refiners and blenders add supplemental lubricants to the diesel fuel to make up for the sulfur and heavy ends stripped out at the refinery. This goes way back to the first low sulfur diesel fuel mandate in 1994, when they DIDN'T do that, and they wiped out a bunch of rotary fuel injection pumps due to lack of lubricity.

Those days are long gone. In addition, many states are requiring biodiesel, which was proven to have the highest lubricity available via the Spicer 4 ball wear test comparison in the 2000's.

Having said all that, I still use additive (Opti-Lube) but not for lubricity, because biodiesel is mandated in my state. Biodiesel degrades (rots) quickly. It also promotes deposits from combustion. It also gels at a higher temp than regular diesel. All those things need additive to counteract.

JFV1134

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins
I am so thankful that I was able to get a 2021 with a CP3 instead of a 2019 or 2020 with the CP4. Just had my pickup replaced through arbitration and I was "encouraged" to choose a 2020 over ordering a 2021.

bigcitymike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't see a recall or even a service bulletin being issued. RAM has fixed the issue with 2021's. Slowly every day, a 2019 or 2020 gets wreaked and taken off the road, or eclipses it's warranty parameters. Attrition like rust, never sleeps.

Wayne007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 Turbo Diesel
I just called a local dealer and he told me that they have not seen any CP4 failures at his dealership. But he also said that about a month ago they got a bulletin from FCA that said if they had any trucks with the CP4 that they couldn't be sold until they were fixed. They didn't have any so he didn't know exactly what the fix was. He said until I get a letter from FCA with a recall OR it breaks, I have to sit tight and wait. To me that's encouraging as it tells me something's coming. I absolutely love the truck so I'll wait. I also called Ram customer service but he couldn't shed any light either. I kinda think they're gearing up to have enough parts to do it right.....at least I hope so.