2020 Ram 2500 Oem Integrated Brake Controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YTRAM1958

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New to Ram and this forum. I just purchased a 2020 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew cab 6.4L, this is my first experience with Dodge/Ram. I assumed that I would be able to purchase a Oem integrated brake controller and install it myself. I have built kit cars, built prerunner buggies, raced dirt bikes for 40+ years and do all my own mechanics. I have been totally amazed by the LACK of how to information on my 2500, even trying to get the Oem brake controller. I called 4 different dealers and gave my last 8 digits of the vin# and was told by all of them that they don't make a Oem trailer brake controller for my vehicle. I was kinda baffled being that you can order a truck from Ram and spec it with a integrated brake controller. I was starting to think I made the wrong decision choosing a Ram. I called corporate and talked to a really nice woman who also told me that you can't get an Oem trailer brake controller for my truck ( last 8 of Vin# again ). I was nice and asked why you would spec one with a controller but could not buy a Oem one. I finally found one on Ebay that actually said it would work on my truck, being skeptical I gave them my Vin# to double check, he said it would work. I am still waiting on the parts but thought I would check out a video on how to install it. WOW, Video's for every other Ram but not a newer 2500, only on the 1500. I checked this forum and found one post, but it had only one response and it referred to a 1500 not a 2500 as the post stated. Only one response, then Crickets.

Long winded but I am still frustrated about the whole thing. I should have just put a Prodigy Bluetooth on and called it a day. Call me whatever you want, but I have always put Oem controllers in my trucks. Ram has been the only pain in the ****. I like the truck, I want to keep the truck, but if I have to go through this everytime I want to upgrade the truck I'll got back to another brand.

PLEASE Help!!!! Anyone have any information, I would appreciate it.

Intense-Dakota

Landscape and Nature Photographer
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wondering how this ended up? I have had the Tekonsha P3 controller in my 2017 Rebel and LOVED it, but i am replacing that with an aftermarket OEM style controller. Did you get yours installed? If so, how did it work out?

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I’m surprised a 2500 didn’t come with it. A year ago I bought an OEM controller on line and paid a dealership to put it in my ‘19 1500. I was hesitant to take the dash apart, lol. Ended up buying a new 2500 earlier this year and it came with it.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I have had the Tekonsha P3 controller in my 2017 Rebel and LOVED it, but i am replacing that with an aftermarket OEM style controller. Did you get yours installed? If so, how did it work out?
After you install the OEM controller you can enable it with AlfaOBD on your '17, I think AlfaOBD is working for the Gen5 trucks also.
The OEM controller integrates in with the vehicle stability and ABS computer and is capable of determining braking force in part based on the vehicle speed and actual braking force (something the P3 can't). Even with a +8K trailer behind the truck with the controller adjusted correctly there is no feeling of the trailer pushing or pulling on the truck.