2020 Ram Auxiliary Camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yesso

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I6 HO
Has anyone purchased a 2020 Ram with the trailer camera wiring? My new Ram has one plug for the auxiliary camera. I am trying to determine how that feature supports 2 cameras as advertised.

Steve Karolek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HO
I ordered my 3500 with the camera wiring - have not taken delivery yet. Got a quote yesterday from the dealer that they'd be happy to sell me the camera and extension wiring for my trailer, do the connections, etc. for a mere $900. I told them to pound sand. I've seen many reports of poor video quality from the camera. I'm looking at alternatives, currently strongly considering the Haloview RD7 camera/receiver/monitor with companion Haloview CA112 running light cameras. I like the idea of a 7" monitor on my rear view mirror, which will be useless for any other purpose while pulling a 5er...

Ricktara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 19 2500 bighorn. On my last truck I had installed a wired camera on back of trailer to a monitor mounted on dash. Well the new Ram has the 12 inch screen and I didn’t want to add more screen or mess up the dash so I bought a auto vox T1400W wireless camera and mirror that fits over the truck rear view mirror from Amazon. I mounted the camera back of trailer and ran wiring underneath to the storage compartment up front where I mounted the transmitter and wired it into battery with a fuse. Now whenever the trailer is near the truck the display lights up in mirror showing behind trailer, if not near trailer it acts like a normal mirror. Cost me just over a hundred bucks.

Lovegolf44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6 cyl
I have a 19 2500 bighorn. On my last truck I had installed a wired camera on back of trailer to a monitor mounted on dash. Well the new Ram has the 12 inch screen and I didn’t want to add more screen or mess up the dash so I bought a auto vox T1400W wireless camera and mirror that fits over the truck rear view mirror from Amazon. I mounted the camera back of trailer and ran wiring underneath to the storage compartment up front where I mounted the transmitter and wired it into battery with a fuse. Now whenever the trailer is near the truck the display lights up in mirror showing behind trailer, if not near trailer it acts like a normal mirror. Cost me just over a hundred bucks.
That's interesting. Do you keep the cam/mirror on all the time or can you remove it when you're not trailer'ing?

Ricktara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had planned to remove it but since I just put it on I am still testing. The only downside to leaving it on is the power wire from mirror down to power tap on top of dash. I will probably hard wire it through headliner with connector, but I have grown used to it so far.

Lovegolf44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6 cyl
I had planned to remove it but since I just put it on I am still testing. The only downside to leaving it on is the power wire from mirror down to power tap on top of dash. I will probably hard wire it through headliner with connector, but I have grown used to it so far.
Depending how you feel about it when you're done testing, I may be interested in your setup. Thx

Lovegolf44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6 cyl
I saw a video that implies that RAM has a aux camera kit that can be used on trailers. Anyone have experience with this or using an aftermarket cam that can be viewed through the Uconnect?

BuiltGuySD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L HO Turbo Diesel
I saw a video that implies that RAM has a aux camera kit that can be used on trailers. Anyone have experience with this or using an aftermarket cam that can be viewed through the Uconnect?

I would like to know if anyone has ever answered this? Or has anyone tried to use the Ford trailer camera and TPMS with the new RAM system in the truck - does it work ?

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
Hey y'all. I'm new to this forum but am not new to ram and have been on other forums. I have personal experience with this and have answers for you. IT SUCKS, DON'T DO IT, ok now that we got that out of the way. I ordered and recieved my 20 3500 hohd Laramie with just about every option, i call it my Laramie limited. Anyway i optioned for the $ 450 aux camera capability during the build. This gives you the capability to hook up 1 or 2 cameras based on what pkg you buy . You get a 12 pin camera plug in the bed for goose or fiver and another to the bumper that's capped off. I decided upon all crappy reviews to buy the $600 single camera mopar kit with all wires. It comes with 4 section lengths of cabling. When i got it, the first thing I did was plug the camera in with the shortest cable with 12 pin plug into bed, knowing the shortest one connection wire would be the best quality you were going to get. I have the 12" uconnect, turned it on to aux camera and it was the biggest junk picture I've ever seen. Literally my wireless furrion from 40' away had way more better of a picture than that overpriced thing. I pretty much made up my mind immediately but I wanted to try all four cable connection lengths together for maximum distance to just set how bad it would be. It was like, i felt like i was watching buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong land on the lunar surface and i was trying to adjust the antenna. I also want to mention that I spread the cable wire harnesses over my fiver and believe me when I say, there was no way i would be able to hide this HUGE cabling. It was very obtuse and ugly on the RV. Then there was the connections. They were like the huge oem connections and no way that I could drill holes to run those through. I took pictuers of everything and part numbers and packed it back up and returned it. Luckily for me the dealer was very accommodating (wich i know is rare) and gave me full credit without a restocking fee.
Thers is the single cam kit with 1 cam that i got with harnesses for $600 and you can't easily add a second camera
There is the next option with one camera and cabling and a splitter harness at 12 pin plug that gives you the capability to add another camera and thus be able to toggle between two aux trailers cameras for $750.
Then the third option is option 2 with all the cabling and 2 cameras for $900.
Im so glad that I didn't do it. My current plan will be allot better quality, i Judt havent pulled the trigger yet. I'm going to get the naviks camera in motion bypass wich plugs into back of uconnect and gives you full cameras in motion so your view won't time out after 8 seconds and it comes with 2 sets of rc plug ins into harness for up to two aux cameras. The naviks is $375 , wich I can do for 300. Then ill get the rvs 771 back up camera and get 66' of rg6 cable for maximum picture quality for $225, so all in I'll have $600 all in and theoretical a much better system. I haven't done it yet because after the last experience, I'm a little gun shy to pull the trigger, but I've communicated with naviks and rvs to ensure all would be compatible together. I'm not a pro, just an old garbage man truck driver looking for a solution. I always am very brand loyal to mopar only but this time was a huge disappointment.
Ps. The individual part numbers can not be purchased from ram seperatly as they only sell the kits. I thought about just buying the 12 pin plug in end and just adding my own camera , nope. but they also have a license on it and won't sell as stand alone. Also the furd camera won't work. It's better picture view but pins don't match and there's has a built in ttpms sensor. Yup, were screwed. Hate that i spent the $450 on the capability to know have to spend 600-1000 more

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Thanks for the info Rich.
I just got my new 2020 Laramie and searched for one that had that trailer camera option.
After reading your post, it sounds like maybe the aftermarket will step up with a solution.
I wanted a setup that would integrate on my screen. I didn't want different aftermarket cameras with different screens stuck all over the interior.

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
No problem, but make no mistake, the mopar camera kit will come up on your uconnect but eith junk quality. The other option i talked about will also come up on your uconnect, were I said I personally will be doing the naviks cameras in motion with rca attachments and my own camera set up wich has very good quality. I like you, don't want my furrion camera screen sitting out to clutter things up, that is also why I paid extra for the ttpms technology, so I didn't have my tire minder screen cluttering up space. I want clean lines and no clutter in this truck. I would like to believe and hope that at some point they will seriously upgrade there mopar camera, especially at that price. I really like there new digital rear view mirror technology. If I had gotten a 21 model instead of 20, i would 100% het the digital rear view mirror and make the tailgate camera easily accessible so that I can quickly plug an oem harness to trailer camera, zip zap, when your rear view would be on, instead of tailgate cam, you'd get trailer cam, now that would be cool

Farm truck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Here is a suggestion: I bought an Eway brand magnetic mount rechargable wireless camera with a 5 inch monitor. The range is amazing. The monitor is powered by a 12 volt acc plug comes with a suction mount, or can just sit up on the dash. I use it to hook up my gooseneck, or "stick" it on the rear of my bumper pull livestock trailer. It was $160. It can be used in any vehicle at any time. I keep it stowed under the rear seat when not in use.

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
Here is a suggestion: I bought an Eway brand magnetic mount rechargable wireless camera with a 5 inch monitor. The range is amazing. The monitor is powered by a 12 volt acc plug comes with a suction mount, or can just sit up on the dash. I use it to hook up my gooseneck, or "stick" it on the rear of my bumper pull livestock trailer. It was $160. It can be used in any vehicle at any time. I keep it stowed under the rear seat when not in use.
I've already got a furrion that works like a wireless camera, so just fine. figured since i bought a $85k truck with aux Camera technology and a12" monitor, I'd rather use that. Anything got to be better than wireless. That's why I'm going with a true hd camera with rg6 camera coax. Plus after our last truck, I got over having accessories suction cupped all over the interror. With this truck I want clean lines, no mess, and the technology to work

RamThis2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 I6
I have this posted in another thread but you guys were on topic. I finished installing the trailer prep harness on my 2020 2500. On my way up to the dealer I noticed that NON of my cameras are working. The dealer added the sales code, now the option for the aux cameras are there but still the entire camera system is unavailable. Just a blue screen. any Ideas???

Like I said I have posted in another thread and as well on HD Forums as well. Just wanted to pick as many brains as I can to get this fixed.
Trailer camera help | DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums

Trailer Camera | Page 5 | Ram Heavy Duty Forum (hdrams.com)

ffmedic62

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a Tadibrothers wireless camera that I used with a Enzo Jailbreaker that has a video and power end on the transmitter that goes in the truck. I have a new truck coming that will have the aux camera prep package. I was hoping that I could figure out what pin in the back of the radio went to the Aux Camera and 12v power so I can tap into them directly so I don't have to buy another camera system. Does anybody have any thoughts or diagrams on pin locations in the wiring harness for the 2500 Rams with the 12" screens? Thank you!

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I using a cheap Chinese made wireless setup with a 7" monitor for my last truck/trailer combo for $170 on Amazon. It's HD 1080P and supports up to four cameras and so far has been pretty much flawless. Being wireless it does drop on occasion but reconnects almost immediately. I set the monitor on a double Bayou Goat Mount I installed in the top dash tray. Monitor and the EEZTire TTPMS are both held in place using magnetic Clutchit mounts and nothing moves and only exposed wire is to the 12V outlet for the monitor. Whole setup goes up and down in just a couple of minutes. Yeah it's not a RAM optioned camera setup and it doesn't display on the 12" screen, but then I don't want it to. Where it is I glance right at it without removing my eyes from the road.

On another note I have a work associate who bought a 2021 2500 CTD Bighorn right after I bought mine. He tows as well and he claims that an acquaintance of his was able to "hack" the Uconnect and get his Furrion wireless camera to display on the 12" screen. Not sure how that is even possible, I asked for details but he said he doesn't know how he did it.

Last edited:

Offy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
For what it's worth, I will share my experience with the trailer camera and harness. I hope it answers some questions I had.

The truck is a 2020 Ram 2500 with fifth wheel prep, and it came with the camera harness pre-wired. There is a camera hookup in both the bed and tailgate.

I bought the dual camera part from store.mopar.com, which comes with one camera only and a second connector for a second camera that you purchase separately.

I connected the camera to the tailgate connector and got no image for either Aux1 or Aux2. Connected it in the bed, it worked fine on Aux1.

After fruitless searching, I finally ran across a post elsewhere that said the tailgate had been disconnected and the connector in the bed was plugged in instead. Sure enough, the camera connection on the tailgate has about 18" of wire that ends in a connector and was not connected to anything.

One has to assume that Ram decided that you would not use the tailgate connector if you had the 5th wheel prep.

Further, there is no Y- cable offered to allow the use of either connection without crawling under to change the connection back to the bed.

The tech that worked on it did offer to make a Y-cable for me, so I will probably do that so I can use either connection.

I consider it rather stupid of Ram to disconnect one without letting the dealer or customer know.

So if you connect the camera to the tailgate connector and it does not work, don't be so quick to return it.

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
This is just my opinion to anyone considering buying the trailer camera system. When i had my 20 ram 3500 ho hd built I had the aux camera option added too the build since we full time in our fifth wheel. Looking at it now, i wish i would of saved my $400, what a waste of money.
2 months after I got the truck, wich I still love now on its 1 yr birthday,I ordered the aux camera system for $800. Biggest piece of junk mopar had ever put its name on. The prior post is correct, the bumper plug had been dead ended as most fiver/ goose haulers only use the inside bed plug. It has 4 sections of cabling wich are huge and obtuse with massive connection points.
I wanted to see what the quality of the camera was on just the shortest length of cable since that was going to be the best quality pic. Plugged it in the bed, got in the truck and was beyond disappointed at what came across my 12" screen. I was so distraught because I had waited so long for this function and was so looking forward to it.
So at this point I'm like no way am I paying $800 for this because my cheapo *** furrion wireless is hands down better than this quality, and the furrion is not that good btw. So I hooked up the 40' of cabling to just see how bad it would get. I honestly felt like, what the he'll do I do now, since I had banked on this system so much for so long. I can not express enough how poor the camera quality is. It's HORRIBLE.
Then on side note to boot on the cabling. If you don't care what it looks like on your trailer then your ok. There is literally no way to hide this harness, it's very big and the connectors are really wide. If you plan on drilling a hole to stuff plug and wire through, you can forget about it. The only way to hide it would be to mount camera on bumper and run cable under frame. All that cable streched out over my fiver really junked up the look of my rv, there it's no hiding it.
So I got lucky. Even though it had been special ordered at the dealership I went to , was able to return it for full price without a restocking fee. Fewww weeee
Moral of my story is, i highly recommend anyone to NOT BUY the mopar camera system. I even wish I hadn't wasted my money on that aux option. I was really trying to keep the inside of my $85k truck looking clean and classy , but I've got my stupid furrion back up on the dash again.
I even was going to do my own camera system since the quality would be so much better, had everything picked out and was going to go with the naviks plug in on the back of the u connect that lets your cameras stay on all the time without 8 second cut out and had side cameras to come on with turn signals. Cool right, i know, but several forums were reporting problems with that technology also so instead of investing $ 800 into a system that I already spent $400 on, i opted to not do it.
I love ram and I only use mopar fluids and products. i would not take anything for my truck, but i would not recommend anyone spending there money on the aux camera system. It's just my opinion, but i couldn't be any more disappointed, especially with the tech that's out there. Sorry mopar, i still love yah