2020 Ram Big Horn. My hood is filling up with rain water or when washing the truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

navy1775

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
My hood is filling up with rain water or when washing the truck. Drains out when I lift the hood. Anyone else experienced this? I believe it is coming from the hood decals on both sides of the hood. The dealer said they are stuck on with double sided tape. I believe the decals (Ram 3500 Heavy Duty) are probably snap in or pinned in place. I can sit on a level or a slightly slopped driveway and run a garden hose of the hood for a few minutes and then lift the hood up and watch the water drain out at the bottom corners of the the hood where the metal is creased together. What can I do to fix this?

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It has to come off somehow. Take it off and see what's underneath it. More than likely it is a cutout in the hood and not just a molded dimple in the outer hood skin. Kinda like the cutout for the center brake light. I love my new Ram but I never heard of so many issues with water until I owned one lol

OP
OP
navy1775

navy1775

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
Thanks for the thought. Its a new truck, I've had it for 1 year and with less than 10K miles, I hate to tear into something like this. But I assume I will have a up hill battle with the dealer to have it fixed. If I ignore it, it will eventually cause rust issues. I am sure that there are others out there, but don't pay attention and my not realize their truck may be doing the same thing. Hopefully people will read this and take a look at their hood. This is the only vehicle that I have owned, that has had a hood fill up with water. I my opinion this is a manufacture design fault.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Your hood is aluminum, so no rust . But there have been reports of corrosion on some hood edges .

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Your hood is aluminum, so no rust . But there have been reports of corrosion on some hood edges .
Aren't the hoods on the HD's steel, not aluminum like the 1500's?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmmmmmmm, now U are gonna make me go out there in a few days when it warms up and rain on my hood to see, Hmmmmmm.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
From HD Rams

some owners are sealing the clips holes on the hood emblems

theheilious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Gas
My hood is filling up with rain water or when washing the truck. Drains out when I lift the hood. Anyone else experienced this? I believe it is coming from the hood decals on both sides of the hood. The dealer said they are stuck on with double sided tape. I believe the decals (Ram 3500 Heavy Duty) are probably snap in or pinned in place. I can sit on a level or a slightly slopped driveway and run a garden hose of the hood for a few minutes and then lift the hood up and watch the water drain out at the bottom corners of the the hood where the metal is creased together. What can I do to fix this?

My solution was to drill very small weep holes at the lowest points on either side of the hood just behind the round hood rests. I did two more on each side of the the support fold about a foot forward of the hinge in case it gets parked on a hill for extended periods. I hope a fix will be forthcoming but I don't want a mosquito farm growing in my hood in the meantime... lol

SKS 800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a 2021, and my hood is aluminum. The nice thing about aluminum is it won’t rust, but it corrodes just as bad with the stuff they put on the roads here in MI.

theheilious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Gas
I have a 2021, and my hood is aluminum. The nice thing about aluminum is it won’t rust, but it corrodes just as bad with the stuff they put on the roads here in MI.
Yes, salty water turns aluminum to mush over time. Saltwater aluminum boats have the same problem. I sincerely doubt the hood is 5052 Marine aluminum, though?

sfljsfdkjs

Reaction score
I have the same issue on my 2021 Rebel. After it rains my truck sounds like a sloshing fish tank. I have to get out and open the hood to let it all drain so I don't hear all the sloshing as I drive to work.

I found this TSB on the issue, and will talk to the dealer soon.

https://www.tsbsearch.com/RAM/S2123000019

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
The TSB says to install a new hood badge. What going to stop it from leaking again? Is there sealant or o-rings on the new hood badge clips?