2020 Ram Power Wagon Recent Mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Have you been to the scales lately? Just curious on where you stand fully loaded.

OP
OP
J

jerry clements

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Power Wagon
All the camping gear I travel with is minimal and lightweight. All the recovery gear, the same. The bed has one footlocker of cooking stuff, the rest of the bed is empty. The ramboxes are also mostly empty. When my company sends me to a job, the truck has room to load my gear and all of the wife's stuff. I just finished a 3 month job at Ft Devens MA. We used the weekends to fully explore New England. We camped along the Blue Ridge Parkway on the way back.

After each trip, I go thru the gear and eliminate stuff not needed. Weight is not really a problem. Free space is the issue. My wife travels with 4 footlockers of absolute necessities, lol.

The one weight exception is the 2nd CO2 tank, sh!@ has to match, lol.

Last edited:

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
All the camping gear I travel with is minimal and lightweight. All the recovery gear, the same. The bed has one footlocker of cooking stuff, the rest of the bed is empty. The ramboxes are also mostly empty. When my company sends me to a job, the truck has room to load my gear and all of the wife's stuff. I just finished a 3 month job at Ft Devens MA. We used the weekends to fully explore New England. We camped along the Blue Ridge Parkway on the way back.

After each trip, I go thru the gear and eliminate stuff not needed. Weight is not really a problem. Free space is the issue. My wife travels with 4 footlockers of absolute necessities, lol.

The one weight exception is the 2nd CO2 tank, sh!@ has to match, lol.
It looks heavy from the pictures. I would have thought you were 4-500lbs over the PW haul limit when you go camping.
Just my bolt ons are 430lbs my recovery stuff is 85lbs my tackle and tools add another 60lbs. I roll with 600lbs all the time. So I know stuff adds up. And that gear never gets unloaded. When I go hunting with my boys I add an extra 300lbs in gear easily.

OP
OP
J

jerry clements

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Power Wagon
With a full tank of gas, I still have 1/2" of positive rake from rear to front. I assume when I am dead level rear to front that I am at max load.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With a full tank of gas, I still have 1/2" of positive rake from rear to front. I assume when I am dead level rear to front that I am at max load.
Have you actually put your truck on a scale? even when i was almost 9000 lbs i had positive rake.

Gc2alpha

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
im sorry maybe i missed it. do you have a lift and did the 37 fit without trimming?

OP
OP
J

jerry clements

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Power Wagon
I have no lift or leveling kit. Rims are +18 with 37x13.5s. I did have to do some trimming. Photos of the trimming are in the thread.

OP
OP
J

jerry clements

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Power Wagon
sorry.. i found it. i would love some 37s but...ill prob just do 35s.. i have a 2020 blue loaded. love it
There are other threads and some youtube videos of guys doing 37s on stock rims.

35s on stock rims will give you slight rubbing on the radius arms and not damage anything. The problem is they don't look much different than the 33s. Very underwhelming for $2k.

35s with +18 or better rims are the perfect combination imo. No rubbing or trimming and look very good.

37s on stock rims require the most trimming and may rub on the radius arms but my info is hearsay for this option.

OP
OP
J

jerry clements

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Power Wagon
I'm currently working in Hawaii and planning the final options on my truck.

1. Some solar and battery to operate the lights and fans in the tent and item #2.

2. 12v fridge/freezer.

3. Awnings for shade.

4. Rear airlift as the truck is a little heavy fully loaded.

A couple of limitations cropped up from my build:

Fridge must be under 14" high to fit under my bed cover or a larger fridge must go in the cab. I'm leaning towards 2 30qts in the bed and operate 1 as fridge and 1 as freezer.

Awning limitations; my midheight bedrack limits my awning options. A cab height rack allows for large 180 or 270 awnings. The midheight does not. I'll have to go with a conventional straight pull awning on the driver's side and a smaller straight pull mounted on the back.

Fortunately the Dethloff bedrack has mounting points built in and the dethloff brackets are cheap to purchase.

I'm pointing these issues out for anyone planning an overland set up. Everything is a tradeoff. A top of the cab rack puts your tent and awning 7 feet off the ground but allows for more options. My midheight puts the tent lower but limits awnings. The last option is the frontrunner low rack that mounts to the diamondback bedcover. It is probably to low for an awning. You would have to mount an awning to a a truck cab rack.

Lastly the midheight and low mount racks limit your tent options. You can't mount an 8ft long tent on a 6.5ft bedrack without it looking bad. An Alucab tent is an example of a long clamshell tent I'm referring too.

I hope I'm not coming off as a know it all as my mistakes can benefit others. After 3 yrs of ownership I'm still on the fence about the ramboxes as they limit so many gear options.