2020 Ram Power Wagon Recent Mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

jerry clements

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Power Wagon
BLM camping near Moab. Nothing beats free camping!20220303_150035.jpg20220303_150049.jpg20220303_150139.jpg20220303_150158.jpg

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Dispersed camping anywhere near Moab is no longer. There is no legal primitive/boondocking camping within a 20 mile radius per the BLM website.

BLM_Primitive_Camping.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jerry clements

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Power Wagon
There was a open camping area named Willow Springs with rules posted etc. I assumed it to be BLM.

OP
OP
J

jerry clements

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Power Wagon
I just Googled a Willow Springs camping article that stated it was a BLM camping area with a 14 day stay limit. It is a mile or three north of the Canyon Lands turn off for Island in the sky on the opposite side of the road. They have portajons on site and still maintain built outhouses throughout the area. There were many campers in the area. Hope this info helps.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
I just Googled a Willow Springs camping article that stated it was a BLM camping area with a 14 day stay limit. It is a mile or three north of the Canyon Lands turn off for Island in the sky on the opposite side of the road. They have portajons on site and still maintain built outhouses throughout the area. There were many campers in the area. Hope this info helps.

I'm familiar with it. I've driven my Power Wagon across the Willow Springs trail from Arches NP. Both Dalton Wells and Willow Springs are to be the new Utahraptor State Park with designated campsites! No more free boondocking! Really thought that they had already closed it off by now and started the construction of the flush restrooms, reserved campsites, paved roads, concrete RV parking spaces, water and electric hookups, and a campground host. It's coming soon! Good riddance to the free BLM camping anywhere close to Moab!

Camping fees started this month of March 2022 to help pay the way. So 14 days camping out in the weeds of Willow Springs is going to cost $$$$ now. Reservations are not available at this time, but that's next.

I camped some 60 miles from Moab near the Anticline Overlook in January 2022. It seems like even out there any boondocking around Moab is dead due to our camping was almost entirely restricted to the two tiny established campgrounds. We found a small spot off of the dirt road and stayed one night, but it wasn't easy to find and I believe that it would be closed off to camping. We've been camping around Moab for some 40 years and with the free boondocking gone I won't be camping there ever again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jerry clements

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Power Wagon
According to the rules posted it is still free. My guess is they are behind schedule. I also think there may be some free camping near Needles but didn't check on it. We are in Durango heading up to Rico tomorrow. I've only been to Moab 3 times and stumbled into the free camping . It does look like the free status is about to change. The big map board still stood but all information had been removed.

Last edited:

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
According to the rules posted it is still free. My guess is they are behind schedule. I also think there may be some free camping near Needles but didn't check on it. We are in Durango heading up to Rico tomorrow. I've only been to Moab 3 times and stumbled into the free camping . It does look like the free status is about to change. The big map board still stood but all information had been removed.

There is free camping near the Needles off of Lockhart Road. I've taken my trailer towards Moab in 4 wheel drive approximately 15 to 20 miles pass the Hamburger Rock Campground to boondock though to get away from others. It's 70 miles to Moab from that established campground with no services. Dang, Rabbit Valley near my home here in Colorado is that far from Moab. I don't consider it close to Moab.

Lionsback Resort a 175 acre luxury destination is scheduled to be built right up against the most popular Moab 4x4 trails. That's what closing off those boondocking camping areas have been replaced with. My bet is that the guests won't enjoy the "peaceful calm of nature" while hearing and seeing Power Wagons tearing up the trails on 37’s just a few yards away.

"the Lionsback Resort should help alleviate the camper-caused strain on Moab land"

Last edited:

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Rico, Colorado history...

Rico was founded near the site of some heavy precious metals mining activity. In 1866 a group of gold prospectors from Texas in 1866 were successful in discovering a good vein of ore, they also attracted the attention of the nearby Utes who killed them all.

Last edited:

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Rico, Colorado history...

Rico was founded near the site of some heavy precious metals mining activity. In 1866 a group of gold prospectors from Texas in 1866 were successful in discovering a good vein of ore, they also attracted the attention of the nearby Utes who killed them all.
Baaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaa

OP
OP
J

jerry clements

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Power Wagon
Drove from Durango to Ouray to Rico and down to Cortez today. Lots of fun, too much snow to get into the campsite.20220305_105022.jpg20220305_105108.jpg20220305_105124.jpg20220305_105056.jpg20220305_122916.jpg

OP
OP
J

jerry clements

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Power Wagon
If you go to Rico stop in at The Enterprise Tavern. They were established in 1892 and have great food!

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
If you go to Rico stop in at The Enterprise Tavern. They were established in 1892 and have great food!

Some of the best food was located in our not tourist trodden little mountain towns. That being said the majority of our small town restaurants of which we frequently visited were permanently closed during the China Virus mandates. Glad to see that Rico survived.

Last edited:

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
An oil and gas 4 acre pad or to plug it and preserve the land in 2020 with a free campground? Gotta think which is better today for the enjoyment of all while we fill our Power Wagon's tanks with the most expensive gasoline ever. It looks like a nice campsite though on BLM land.

Last edited: