2021 1500 5.7 hemi big horn coolant smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MissMopar380

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We have a 2021 Dodge 1500, 5.7 hemi big horn, I’ve read through forum and haven’t seen a post, but I’m new so maybe I missed it. We’ve had it over a year, I noticed early on, fiancé claims he didn’t, that when we’ve been out in it, when we get home and I walk around front end from drivers side I can always smell antifreeze. He bought it brand new. Like I said I smelled it early on and I’ve smelled it every single time over driven it, which is a good bit. He’s checked, doesn’t see any leaks. It’s been serviced regularly, never has had any problems. Anyways has anyone else with this year/ model, notice or dealt with this same issue? Only recall he’s gotten so far is for faulty tailgate latch. Sorry if this is repeat of something someone has asked previously, I’m new to this forum and haven’t been in any forum for a couple of years. Thanks in advance!

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
If you can smell antifreeze and the level doesn't go down and you don't have to add, then you have a great sniffer and you are likely smelling is hot coolant from the overflow tank. There is a hose on the old tanks that vents to the air and allows the odour/mist of the hot coolant to vent to the air. On the newer ones, the reservoir cap is not a pressure cap, wasn;t on earlier ones either, and may allow the odour to escape. If you had a leak you would have to add coolant to keep the level up.

Last edited:

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Allot of the water pump, heater hose and radiator hoses have band clamps on them, I have one that's going to the water pump, I can see some wetness around it that I think I may have a small leak around it, I'm keeping an eye on it, when I lift up the hood I can smell it, I have a keen sense of smell!!!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I parked in front of Citizens Band Radio Shop last year & a trucker walked in front of my 2016 Ram eco diesel & then walked back to my door & suggested that i keep an eye on my radiator.
I had not noticed it before & every once in a while i do smell it.
My coolant level has never been noticeably low

MaxGig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I noticed the smell on my 2019 as well. A closer look and I found that the smell was coming from the overflow like Dean2 said. I didn't trust my gut so when I had it in for an oil change I had them look into it and that's exactly what the dealership came back with as well.

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2020 Bighorn 4x4. been smelling it since day 1. It's normal.

OP
OP
M

MissMopar380

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah we had it serviced shortly after this, just to be sure there weren’t any leaks, it was all good. And yep still smell it all the time.