2021 2500 Diesel ~ Electronic Stability Control ~ Loose Steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnpalm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Just purchased this truck and Service ESC comes on.. kills the cruise control. My steering seems loose... kinda road walks, is there a connection between these issues?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It's possible if there's a problem with one of the speed sensors for the front wheels. There's also the steering angle sensor that could be causing problems.
If this is your first front solid axle vehicle you've driven in a while, the steering does seem loose and vague compared to an independent front suspension found in half ton trucks.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
It's possible if there's a problem with one of the speed sensors for the front wheels. There's also the steering angle sensor that could be causing problems.
If this is your first front solid axle vehicle you've driven in a while, the steering does seem loose and vague compared to an independent front suspension found in half ton trucks.
^^^ THIS ^^^
Just one sensor could muck up the whole works if it goes bad. You have to get them scanned/checked to figure out which one it is.

I had a speed sensor go bad on a half shaft on my Charger....had to replace the whole shaft to get everything to work again. (ESC, ABS, traction control & cruise control.)

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Have you checked to see if your truck has any open recalls, there is a current recall for ESC on some 2022's...

OP
OP
J

Johnpalm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Thanks!!!.... Not sure if this will be a fix, but I removed the fuse for the ESC... ran for about 6 hours without the fuse. Been driving about 300 miles and the "Service ESC" has not come on........ I will report if it might be a fix.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks!!!.... Not sure if this will be a fix, but I removed the fuse for the ESC... ran for about 6 hours without the fuse. Been driving about 300 miles and the "Service ESC" has not come on........ I will report if it might be a fix.
If you saying that pulling the fuse is a "fix", then it most definitely is not fixing the issue. Rather it's just keeping the light from coming on but the ESC is not working.
You really need to have the codes scanned to see what the more specific issue is. There are dozens of different reasons the service ESC light can be activated for. I really doubt that this loose steering has anything to do with the light. A bad sensor, wire, or loose connection will cause the ESC light to come on but should have absolutely zero affect on the mechanical feel of the steering. I would suspect this loose steering is simply the difference between the Ram 2500 diesel and the previous F-150.

OP
OP
J

Johnpalm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
You are exactly correct. It worked correctly for 2 days... the service light came back on this morning. At my local shop right now!

OP
OP
J

Johnpalm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
^^^ THIS ^^^
Just one sensor could muck up the whole works if it goes bad. You have to get them scanned/checked to figure out which one it is.

I had a speed sensor go bad on a half shaft on my Charger....had to replace the whole shaft to get everything to work again. (ESC, ABS, traction control & cruise control.)
Update... had my front end aligned and seems to have fixed the ESC issue... hope this helps someone!!

OP
OP
J

Johnpalm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Just purchased this truck and Service ESC comes on.. kills the cruise control. My steering seems loose... kinda road walks, is there a connection between these issues?
Same truck....When i am in 2wd and driving up semi-steep incline and turn right or left it feels and sounds like I am in 4wd... anyone have this problem?

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
is that an expensive fix?
It all depends on if you have the dealer do it or independent shop do the work, when I had mine done I went to local diesel shop the dealer price was twice the cost of the diesel shop... Also how many miles on your truck if under 36K you can try to have the work done under warranty.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Is is still under 3/36 warranty? How many miles on it?

OP
OP
J

Johnpalm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
It all depends on if you have the dealer do it or independent shop do the work, when I had mine done I went to local diesel shop the dealer price was twice the cost of the diesel shop... Also how many miles on your truck if under 36K you can try to have the work done under warranty.
I have the diesel with 68k on it...100,000 miles powertrain warranty.....I THINK????