2021 3500 Front driveshaft CV failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lighthawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
gas 6.4l
I have had the front driveshaft replaced by the dealer twice in 7500 miles on our 2021 3500 hemi.
Apparently the fifth gen RAM trucks have a CV joint on the transmission side. After a camping trip to Nevada I discovered my brand new truck had puked grease from the transmission end of the front driveshaft. At that point I had something less than 2000 miles on the truck.

The dealer ended up replacing the front driveshaft twice and the second time blamed my leveling kit for the failure. They said this would be the last time they would do the work. My opinion is they have nothing better to offer than another CV joint that would fail, so I started looking for other solutions for my offroad camping rig. 20211002_153900.jpg

I had a 2" RC leveling kit (puck) at first and regretted it. I now have King 2.5" pintops all the way around and Thuren springs. Meanwhile the RAM factory CV joint failed again at 7000 miles.

20220917_145339.jpg

My mechanic suggested getting a custom-built driveshaft which is pretty common with the wheeling crowd. After doing some research I discovered DriveLines Plus where Jeff has patented the fitting to the tranny shaft and builds a double cardan (sp?) joint with a grease-able shaft to the front U joint flange. I took a measurement and they built and shipped the bolt-on solution.

2022-11-07 08.01.01.jpg

2022-11-07 08.01.11.jpg
Jeff suggested installing the new driveshaft using the factory snap ring at the transmission, but if we had a vibration we could drill and tap a grade 8 bolt (provided) to beef things up. My shop installed the new drive shaft for $180 labor. If I had a lift, I could have done the work I suppose, but I have a real job.

I took the truck out in the snow on Saturday and romped on it a bit. We have a FWC camper on our truck, as shown on my avatar. We did two miles of barely traveled double track in deep, sloppy snow, using 4 low and 4 high using the gas pedal and the 6.4 to power along with hard 65-70psi tires. It's a first good test before we go farther afield on our winter trips.

It's a shame I had to spend $1500 to fix a RAM failed design.

2022-11-13 15.18.30.jpg

2022-11-13 15.18.22.jpg

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2020 power wagon did the same thing. Just had it replaced under warranty. Discovered it after i got back from moab.

OP
OP
lighthawk

lighthawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
gas 6.4l
My 2020 power wagon did the same thing. Just had it replaced under warranty. Discovered it after i got back from moab.
It looks like the shaft can come very close to hitting the edge of the CV body. Mine failed twice resulting in a slit to the rubber boot, hence spilling all the grease. Keep an eye on it.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It looks like the shaft can come very close to hitting the edge of the CV body. Mine failed twice resulting in a slit to the rubber boot, hence spilling all the grease. Keep an eye on it.
one of the first mods I always made to jeeps was front double cardan driveshaft. while I like the cv as it is actually really strong at extreme angles the rubber boot is definitely a fail point and easily cut. I crawl under my truck after every offroad use. as you said a design flaw on a truck made to flex.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
classic case of stupid is as stupid does. thats not a cv joint like you see on a wheel end and they cant run at rediculous angles. your leveling kit did cause the failure

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
im suprised the dealer even replaced it once. i would of told you to pound sand

Adventurebound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Glad I ran across this thread. I noticed what I thought was a leak from the front of the transfer case over the weekend on my 2020. Upon further inspection this is what it is. I also have the Thuren front springs, on a PW though (also with a FWC).

I think I will take it in for warranty repair, even knowing it will just leak again. Let us know how that front shaft works over the long run. I will eventually end up going that route I'm sure.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
classic case of stupid is as stupid does. thats not a cv joint like you see on a wheel end and they cant run at rediculous angles. your leveling kit did cause the failure
This. At stock height that CV is within spec and won't wear. When you lift your vehicle you are changing the angle. Same deal on Jeep's.

Not a design flaw. That's user induced failure.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had to use a high-angle Rzeppa CV joint. on the wifes JK because of the lift. She had this same issue.

Last edited: