2021 5.7 hemi durango knocking engine???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My wife has a 2021 hemi Durango. 34,500 miles on it. I changed oil about 400 miles ago. We took a road trip and all was well. When we were almost home we stopped to get some things in a bigger city 30 miles from home. She was driving. Going up a slight incline in a road it started making a banging/clattering sound. I shut the radio off and then it stopped. I knew it wasn't the radio. When we were coming back from our first stop it did it again. My 15 year old son heard it from the back seat. It sounded to be coming from the passenger side engine compartment. At our next stop I checked oil and it looked good. Not burnt looking or anything...couldn't tell level since it just shut off, but wanted to make sure it wasn't burnt looking or smelling. Could it be something major, or maybe exhaust manifold broken bolts that made noise for a bit, or maybe MDS solenoid?? Those are my guesses, but I have no idea. I drove it home 30 miles with eco on and eco off and no noise again.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Need to double check the oil level first, what oil and filter?

OP
OP
K

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Redline 5w-20 and royal purple 20-820 oil filter. Just checked oil level. It is all good. Color and smell of oil looks normal. It is cooled off now and wanted to try and wiggle some exhaust manifold bolts, but there is no room in the Durango for me to get my arms/hands up there. I wiggled the exhaust and didn't hear, see or feel anything loose or weird. The only thing I noticed was the big plastic thing they put over the top of the engine wasn't completely seated, so maybe it was rattling around but it definitely sounded metallic clanging/knocking to me.

There was never a check engine light or anything like that. Not sure if it seemed to lose power or anything since my wife was driving. Of course she couldn't even hear it the first time!!!

OP
OP
K

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Or if anyone knows if there is a Durango forum I can post on?? I just figured I'd post here since to me a hemi is a hemi...haha

OP
OP
K

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I find DodgeDurango.net the best for info.

Maybe you got some bad gas on the road trip also, maybe get a bottle of Redline SL-1 in there.
I have 6 bottles of the redline SL-1 maybe I will give that a shot. It was after filling up, but never noticed anything until 100 to 150 miles after fill up.

OP
OP
K

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just checked it on maps...roughly 129 miles after fill up is when the noise happened.