2021 6.4 Ram Transmission mind of its own?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RACENRAM1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
2021 Ram 6.4 less than 15,000 miles. While driving home one nite from our shop cruising 50 mph the Transmission suddenly on its own downshifted immediately to 1st gear with the rpms redlining? Pulled over, shut everything off, restarted all seemed ok. 2 days later cruising now at 70 mph it did this again, on it's own downshifted immediately to 1 st gear with the motor screaming! Took it back to the dealer where they had it 1 week and said the Transmission Control Module was bad, hmm less than 15.000 miles?? They replaced that said all was good! Picked it up at the dealer Friday eve, drove 4 miles to my house all seemed fine in that 4 miles. Had a race on Saturday so we loaded our race car on the trailer and headed out. Got on the interstate and went maybe 12 miles pulling our race car/trailer cruising at 74 mph the transmission immediately shifted to first gear once again redlining the crap out of the engine! Almost causing a serious wreck!!! Shut everything off, re grouped and re started and continued on slowly with caution to the race, approximately 90 miles and seemed fine. Heres the next weird thing, we had to pull across a wet flat field so had some rear tire spinnage, put it in 4wd low range to help but it would only pull the rear 2 wheels, front would not engage at all and just about got stuck??? Anyway after all this I got it back to the dealer Monday morning 1st thing, they just couldn't believe this happened again? The kept my truck almost 3 weeks this time, changed the Trans module again, also changed the t-case module and said it was fine. I had them note that on 4 different occasions the engine way over revved and I was worried about my 6.4 engine having damage? They said the engine was fine and they would check the oil to see how it looked? Could there be damage to the 6.4 that could creep back up later on? It's only got 15,000 miles on it. Now that I have my truck back it just seems like it's not shifting right, sometimes? It seems like it's slipping at times not always, at slower speeds it seems to want to stay in the lower gears way to long? Sometimes it just acts like it can't make up it mind?? I have not towed the race car yet, I'm a little nervous to??? Sorry so long and thanks in advance!! I just want to see if anyone else has had this issue? Thanks Bryan

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Don't know if it applies, but have they changed the speed sensor(pickup)? I had a Toyota that started doing low gear downshifts at highway speeds. After the dealer fired the parts cannon multiple times, they finally replaced what I had suggested at the beginning, and it was good from there on.

OP
OP
RACENRAM1

RACENRAM1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks, im going to double check tomorrow at the dealer, i took it back yesterday because it just doesn't seem right? They seem baffled???

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
if they don't figure it out this time, and the speed sensor doesn't fix it, I would be looking for a second opinion. If they can't figure it out either, trade it off on a new one.

Last edited:

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You might want to look into your states Lemmon law. Reving that high could cause engine or trans damage. The dealer's main concern is getting you through the warranty period, after that it's not their problem. As for engine damage the dealer said they would check the oil to see how it looked. What did that include, pulling the dipstick ans seeing you had oil or did they do the correct thing which would be getting a sample analyzed? I'd be concerned about the long term.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
The risk of engine damage is one thing but the clear safety danger inherent in this fault is clearly another. You could very easily end up dead or killing someone else. Document all visits, keep all paper work and makes notes of all meetings and promises. This could very easily end up in a large lawsuit if you hurt yourself or someone else because of this known fault.

OP
OP
RACENRAM1

RACENRAM1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I agree Dean, I'm keeping up with everything so far but I feel like I'm being avoided. This scared the crap out of me n my wife towing when this happened pulling our race rig/trailer at 74mph!!! But yet it seems like no big deal to the dealer I just recently purchased it from? It's really got me on edge since this has happened 4 times already, who knows when it will do it again and if any premature damage has been done? Thanks Bryan Hey I like the 96!!!

Last edited:

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
2021 Ram 6.4 less than 15,000 miles. While driving home one nite from our shop cruising 50 mph the Transmission suddenly on its own downshifted immediately to 1st gear with the rpms redlining? Pulled over, shut everything off, restarted all seemed ok. 2 days later cruising now at 70 mph it did this again, on it's own downshifted immediately to 1 st gear with the motor screaming! Took it back to the dealer where they had it 1 week and said the Transmission Control Module was bad, hmm less than 15.000 miles?? They replaced that said all was good! Picked it up at the dealer Friday eve, drove 4 miles to my house all seemed fine in that 4 miles. Had a race on Saturday so we loaded our race car on the trailer and headed out. Got on the interstate and went maybe 12 miles pulling our race car/trailer cruising at 74 mph the transmission immediately shifted to first gear once again redlining the crap out of the engine! Almost causing a serious wreck!!! Shut everything off, re grouped and re started and continued on slowly with caution to the race, approximately 90 miles and seemed fine. Heres the next weird thing, we had to pull across a wet flat field so had some rear tire spinnage, put it in 4wd low range to help but it would only pull the rear 2 wheels, front would not engage at all and just about got stuck??? Anyway after all this I got it back to the dealer Monday morning 1st thing, they just couldn't believe this happened again? The kept my truck almost 3 weeks this time, changed the Trans module again, also changed the t-case module and said it was fine. I had them note that on 4 different occasions the engine way over revved and I was worried about my 6.4 engine having damage? They said the engine was fine and they would check the oil to see how it looked? Could there be damage to the 6.4 that could creep back up later on? It's only got 15,000 miles on it. Now that I have my truck back it just seems like it's not shifting right, sometimes? It seems like it's slipping at times not always, at slower speeds it seems to want to stay in the lower gears way to long? Sometimes it just acts like it can't make up it mind?? I have not towed the race car yet, I'm a little nervous to??? Sorry so long and thanks in advance!! I just want to see if anyone else has had this issue? Thanks Bryan

Have you checked:
- Recalls - My 2016 had a recall for the transmission solenoids.
- Fluid
- Diagnostics - at a quality garage; other than the dealer? I would think there would be a lot of codes in your situation.

OP
OP
RACENRAM1

RACENRAM1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks yall, that's the crazy thing no codes thrown? This past Saturday it would not engage into reverse? After several tries and shutting the motor off it finally went into reverse? I did go back to the dealer and not much from them except make an appointment and leave it with them for the fourth time?? I'm just upset over all this because I know something not right with this transmission? The service manager wanted me to go tow my race trailer and see how it does, thought that was weird after the last time I towed my race vehicle we about crashed when the thing shifted into 1st gear going 74mph!!! I told him you mean you want me to risk our lives, someone else's possibly and crashing my rig possibly when I know there's something wrong??? He changed his mind after that! Anyway I'm waiting to take it back to the dealer once again, and with only 15,000 miles on it???? Crazy! Thanks Bryan

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Sorry to hear it still not going well. I would definitely make notes, dates, times etc of the conversation with the service manager that you referenced above. That is a clear indication they care not at all about your safety. You may have to try a different dealer or go direct to Stelantis. Have you heard anything from Ram Cares. Have you checked out your Lemon Laws for your state. Have you looked into any other legal remedies available?

I would not post the answers to these questions publicly. It does you no good and could harm any future compensation or solutions. . Just suggesting the possible paths you can pursue.

jogris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Don't know if it applies, but have they changed the speed sensor(pickup)? I had a Toyota that started doing low gear downshifts at highway speeds. After the dealer fired the parts cannon multiple times, they finally replaced what I had suggested at the beginning, and it was good from there on.
Well I would look in to the wire harness from TCM to trans. I have a 2016 with a 6-4 engine. I had a faulty wire harness and it would go in limp mode and do the same .. I be going 70 mph and all of a sudden I in first gear and engine red lining ,, but then I could not get it out of limp mode. Four wheel drive did not work also. Drove for 360 miles in limp mode and used tach at 3000 rpm and took me 6 hours to get back to my home. Dealer changed the harness and all is well now. But I keep my fingers crossed

jogris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Well I would look in to the wire harness from TCM to trans. I have a 2016 with a 6-4 engine. I had a faulty wire harness and it would go in limp mode and do the same .. I be going 70 mph and all of a sudden I in first gear and engine red lining ,, but then I could not get it out of limp mode. Four wheel drive did not work also. Drove for 360 miles in limp mode and used tach at 3000 rpm and took me 6 hours to get back to my home. Dealer changed the harness and all is well now. But I keep my fingers crossed
What trans do you have in truck. Ram had trouble with transmissions from 2014 too 2019.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01