2021 issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RABRAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been a Ford driver for over 30 years. I've never owned a Dodge but am now looking at a 3500 Laramie Longhorn Dually with the Cummins HO Aisen. This will be replacing my 2012 F350 6.7 SRW to pull a new 5ver toy hauler with a wet 18000lbs.
I am a little apprehensive about the purchase as I've seen posts about roof leaks on the Dodge and a few other issues with the Aisen transmission. All that said, this new truck is really sweet and is about $10k cheaper than a comparably equipped Ford.
I too am interested in any input or advice from current 3500 owners.
Regards

wifi_guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 I6 Cummins HO Turbo Diesel
I am waiting on mine still! CAN'T FRIGGIN WAIT!!! The only issue I see are the tank sizes they put in these trucks. I am going to most likely put a Titan 50 Gallon in mine. 32 Gallons isn't going to cut it.

OP
OP
sandawilliams

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I am waiting on mine still! CAN'T FRIGGIN WAIT!!! The only issue I see are the tank sizes they put in these trucks. I am going to most likely put a Titan 50 Gallon in mine. 32 Gallons isn't going to cut it.

You need to buy the 8' bed to get the 50 gallon tank. No room for it in the short boxes.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

RainDesert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been a Ford driver for over 30 years. I've never owned a Dodge but am now looking at a 3500 Laramie Longhorn Dually with the Cummins HO Aisen. This will be replacing my 2012 F350 6.7 SRW to pull a new 5ver toy hauler with a wet 18000lbs.
I am a little apprehensive about the purchase as I've seen posts about roof leaks on the Dodge and a few other issues with the Aisen transmission. All that said, this new truck is really sweet and is about $10k cheaper than a comparably equipped Ford.
I too am interested in any input or advice from current 3500 owners.
Regards
I'm on my last Ford, been over 20 years in them, and they're just not like the rock solid 1999 SD's anymore.
As for the 2021 Ram HD, My research is that Ram has stepped up and fixed the 2 biggest issues I have seen since the 2019 model change;
1st is the HVAC system is revamped and a TSB for repairs on the 2019-2020 is now recognized.
2nd is that with Cummins fuel pump has been changed for the better in the 2021 MY.
Other issues I have seen are much more minor IMO.

Ranchomerced

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Just traded my 2019 2500 before the CP 4 decided to grenade. 39k on the clock. Ran good after the 68rfe recall. Got a 2021 3500 long bed Aisin 4x4. so far a great truck except for the tow haul and exhaust brake doesnt work. I suppose when I can get the dealer to look at it it is probably just a re-flash of the ecm I hope.

RCJeff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L V8
Waiting on my 3500 Laramie. Ordered 12/29/20...getting close. I REALLY wish I had paid more attention to fuel tank size as well. Would've ordered the 50 gallon in a heartbeat had I known standard was 31 gallon. An additional cost of $295 at time of order vs $1,000 + to do aftermarket.

RABRAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm on my last Ford, been over 20 years in them, and they're just not like the rock solid 1999 SD's anymore.
As for the 2021 Ram HD, My research is that Ram has stepped up and fixed the 2 biggest issues I have seen since the 2019 model change;
1st is the HVAC system is revamped and a TSB for repairs on the 2019-2020 is now recognized.
2nd is that with Cummins fuel pump has been changed for the better in the 2021 MY.
Other issues I have seen are much more minor IMO.

Thanks for this input. I have not put the time in researching as much as I should. I realize all these beasts have some issues that as an owner you just have to deal with. I can say my 2012 F350 6.7 SRW has been an extremely reliable truck. We put a lot of miles pulling our current toyhauler with a wet 12500lbs. I never had a problem or lacked for power. I do believe I will feel much safer with the DRW while the family is in the cab and pulling the new tripple axle toyhauler.
I drove the truck again today and I think the Aisen is a little more clunky. Not as smooth a shift as I am used to but at the end of the second test drive, I believe this is the best truck I have test driven. It has 36 miles on it and 20 of those are mine. I put a deposit to hold it until Monday when I will sign the papers and really call it mine. Can't wait to put about 500 miles on it then hitching up to the new trailer and hitting the road to give it a good test.
One last thing is, "Does anyone have any experience with the Bumper to Bumper Extended Warranty Policies with Dodge?" I understand that they are typically overpriced insurance policies but it only takes one repair to pay for the cost. I plan on doing a lot of research on these policies because if Dodge is like FOMO, prices vary based on just where you make the purchase.
Regards and Safe Travels to everyone out there.
RAB

Ron Esquibel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
When you order a truck does the tonneau get installed at the factory or the dealership?
I ordered 3500 Big Horn DRW long bed

Last edited:

Farm truck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
"Does anyone have any experience with the Bumper to Bumper Extended Warranty Policies with Dodge?" I understand that they are typically overpriced insurance policies but it only takes one repair to pay for the cost. I plan on doing a lot of research on these policies because if Dodge is like FOMO, prices vary based on just where you make the purchase.

You will get multiple e-mails from Mopar to buy an extended warranty. I bought my truck in September and the warranty from my dealer was $2850 plus sales tax, I waited and bought the same warranty on a Black Friday special from MOPAR for $1875 with no sales tax.

wifi_guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 I6 Cummins HO Turbo Diesel
If the extended warranty includes oil changes, it’s not a horrible deal. One tech issue in these and the warranty has paid for itself.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
If the extended warranty includes oil changes, it’s not a horrible deal. One tech issue in these and the warranty has paid for itself.
Service contracts (what people call "extended warranties") and maintenance plans are normally two separate items. I have seen them sold as package deals, but that is not common. Maintenance plans are normally priced high because they assume you will use all the services included. The profits in maintenance plans is made from investment income from the claim reserve and the consumer not using all of the scheduled services.