2021 Limited with Indigo Frost Interior - Already Wearing Out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cromagnum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.9
Bought a 2021 Limited in December and within a few thousand miles, noticed the frost drivers seat is already not holding up. The material has worn off and exposed some dark grey / brown material underneath, and its already starting to flake up in a few spots. When I took it in for my first Ram Care oil change, I asked the dealer about it and they told me there is nothing they can do. So much for having supposedly better quality leather in the higher trim packages. Not impressed when I put over 100k miles in a similar colored Ford and the seats still looked the correct color besides some wrinkles.

I reached out to the Ram Care team and got a case number to provide to the dealership but do not expect they will do much.

20210831_185415.jpg20210831_185419.jpg20210831_185430.jpg

Last edited:

rojo_143

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Man i agree that does not look good for a new truck at all, but the spots on the lumbar portion of the seat look more like belt transfer (like from a leather pants belt) than it does wear. I could be wrong since you are seeing it in person but have you tried cleaning it with a good leather cleaner followed up by a leather conditioner? Maybe even a magic eraser on the stubborn spots.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Cromagnum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.9
Tried the leather cleaner and conditioner. Won't touch it. Haven't been brave enough to try the magic eraser for fear of making it worse.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'd have to agree with rojo, at least from the pics that looks more like color transfer than wear. Even the threads in that area look to be partially affected by color transfer. I hope you are able to get that taken care of no matter which it is. Makes me glad the interior in my Limited is black. But then again I don't live where it's hot most of the year.

OP
OP
C

Cromagnum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.9
Even if it turns out to be color transfer, my 130k mile F150 with nearly the exact same color seats never did this.

Bigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Dye transfer is very common, also on brands like
Tried the leather cleaner and conditioner. Won't touch it. Haven't been brave enough to try the magic eraser for fear of making it worse.

What brand of leather cleaner and conditioner have you used? Some people have used a magic eraser, but start very light at first. This looks to me like dye transfer and usually you can get most of that out.

OP
OP
C

Cromagnum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.9
I tried Lexol so far. Open for suggestions if folks know of better options.

OP
OP
C

Cromagnum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.9
As expected. Chrysler said too bad. They won't do anything about it.

Bigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I tried Lexol so far. Open for suggestions if folks know of better options.

Not sure if you just did the Lexol Cleaner or the Conditionner or both?

I would go Magic Eraser, make sure to soak it well and start on small areas with light pressure and adjust as needed. Just watch the vid below if you haven't done so.

CHECK THIS OUT!

There are a lot of vids on YT on this.

Colorlock seems to have a kit for this as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Cromagnum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.9
It's not dye transfer. Wherever it is dark is where the interior color is gone completely. Guess I'm going to have to suck it up and get a leather upholstery place to redo the seat once it gets bad enough.

Chrysler has told me they won't warranty anything deemed to be external influence, so I guess they exect people to just look at their trucks in their driveways and not actually use them. I hope the rest of the truck holds up better.

AthensMarine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7–Liter V8 HEMI MDS VVT eTorque Engine
Bought a 2021 Limited in December and within a few thousand miles, noticed the frost drivers seat is already not holding up. The material has worn off and exposed some dark grey / brown material underneath, and its already starting to flake up in a few spots. When I took it in for my first Ram Care oil change, I asked the dealer about it and they told me there is nothing they can do. So much for having supposedly better quality leather in the higher trim packages. Not impressed when I put over 100k miles in a similar colored Ford and the seats still looked the correct color besides some wrinkles.

I reached out to the Ram Care team and got a case number to provide to the dealership but do not expect they will do much.

View attachment 469562View attachment 469563View attachment 469564
Awful! I have a 2019 limited with same leather…I’ve had no issues at all. They should replace that!

etbrown4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Appeal your case to a higher level or supervisor . I had 2 customer service people decline me on a transmission, but finally got a free replacement at 60k. This should be no different.

reborn55

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Appeal your case to a higher level or supervisor . I had 2 customer service people decline me on a transmission, but finally got a free replacement at 60k. This should be no different.
I trtied for almost a year even went so far as to email CEO--no luck

goatmann

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do not ever use magic erasers on your leather!

Locate a trim shop and show them the seats to see what they recommend what product to clean them with.

KC5TGQ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
Awful! I have a 2019 limited with same leather…I’ve had no issues at all. They should replace that!
Strange they gave you a problem. Our 2019 Bighorn had some runs in the front seat and our dealer quickly got it approved for replacement. They got the cover in and replaced it same day at no cost. I have Indigo in my Laramie and so far its holding up. I notice the steering wheel starting to show some wear at only 32k.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What I used to get nail polish off of my wifes black leather in her Pacifica. Just make sure to do a small area first. You dont have to scrub hard. Just immediately clean and condition the leather afterwards.

Hellcatsrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I hate to go on the dealer side of this....but it really looks like color transfer from new blue jeans. I got it on the passenger side of my wife's Lincoln with light grey leather and vinyl inserts. I cannot recall what I used on it but it finally did come off.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would reach out to Adams Polishes. They are a vendor on here. See what they recommend.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dye transfer is very common, also on brands like

What brand of leather cleaner and conditioner have you used? Some people have used a magic eraser, but start very light at first. This looks to me like dye transfer and usually you can get most of that out.
Today wifes black leather needed some attention. I used Chemical Guys Leather Cleaner and an Adams Deep Clean Eraser. I didn't scrub it hard, I just shot leather cleaner on the seats and then used the deep clean eraser and got all of the gunk and crap the kids got on the seats off and then conditioned and used my chemical guys sprayable leather. I am about to give adams leather conditioner a try. About to make and order. This combo took nail polish off a seat in her car. I would also suggest a good leather brush. Chemical guys is what I am using. PM if you want my list of stuff.