2021 Power Wagon Fuel Tank Stuck At 3/4 Fill Up.Will NOT Fill Up Beyond 3/4 Tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HW285PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Good to know I'm not the only Power Wagon with the issue. I read on forums that several Challengers had this issue, and on this forum was looking at someone post about this issue too with their 1500 Rebel. Something about the filler neck bend in the 5th gens that is causing the issue, especially in the West Coast where they have some funky designed fuel pump with a filter of some sort that gets in the way. I am in the West Coast, Commiefornia to be exact.

I'll go down there and inspect the tank and vent line to see if I can fiddle with the vent valve like you say. This issue is really effin annoying on a brand new truck. I have to be lugging around extra rotopax cans when deep in the desert away from civilization because I am always short 1/4 tank of gas due to this issue alone.
Yep! If you can find a dealer that is genuine and cares, you might try to get your truck in there.
My truck started doing it at around 10,000 miles it’s around 30k now.
I called the dealer the first time it happened because I was so frustrated and the service manager was eager to get my truck in because he had never had an issue with that with the 4.5 generation trucks. He said it was a very common problem on the 4th gen trucks though due to the fuel fill angle but he swore they redesigned the filler neck for the 4.5G trucks. I unfortunately was never able to get my truck into the dealer but once I figured out the vent line, it rarely happens again.

I’m interested so see if you’ll find resolution! Keep us posted.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Running it all the way down to E, red light on, and about 15 miles estimated remaining on the tank before I fuel up. It doesn't matter though at what point I fuel up, it can be half way, 1/4 way, or below 1/4 into Empty, it'll always fill and stop right at 20 gallons at the pump, and 3/4 full in my truck.
Based on your description I would really suspect a faulty fuel reading....the float in the tank could be off or not calibrated correctly, or something telling the gauge/truck/computer the tank is lower than actual meaning the tank is actually fulll. What the fuel gauge reads and the fuel pump nozzle clicking off are not related in anyways...not like the fuel nozzle somehow reads what the gauge is saying and shuts off. When the actual fuel level reaches the tip of the fuel nozzle that is what causes it to kick off, and the only way that happens is if the fuel tank is full. Sure, I've heard of people having fueling issues because of vents, blocked filler necks, etc... but it happened the entire time they were putting fuel in the tank and not that if fueled perfectly fine and then all of sudden completely stopped. And regards to the comment about "right at 20 gallons", do you mean exactly 20.0 gallons is showing at the fuel pump? If that is the case it's the fuel station/fuel pump you are using.
One way to verify this condition is simply carry around a 5 gallon can of fuel and keep driving past when the low fuel light comes on the 15 miles estimated is stated. Watch your odo and keep track of how many miles you drive past that point, like maybe start with going an extra 30 miles and then fuel up and see how much it takes, which I would expect another 2-3 gallons. Then maybe next time drive 50-60 miles past that point and see how much it takes to fuel up. Worse case the truck starts sputtering and you pull over and dump in the 5 gallons (obviously make sure you don't try this when travelling in the middle of nowhere, but 5 gallons should get you at least 50-60 miles) .

OP
OP
A

aaaslayer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sam, your tank will never take more than 26 gallons
These tanks are built to retain about 4 - 5 gallons to help cool the fuel pump.

20 Gallons of fuel in Ontario California = $90.00 US

I am guessing that is the shut off point for the pump.
Down here closer to the California/Mexico Border, a lot of pumps shut off at $75.00
Interesting theory. I've never heard of a pump shutting off after say $100 bucks. I will try next time to pump in 2 transactions to see if that'll do the trick. I drove it home off the lot with a full tank of gas so surely it can get there. I did buy it in the state of NEVADA, and have had that issue since bringing it home to Commiefornia.

OP
OP
A

aaaslayer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm currently sitting between 1/2 and 3/4 tank. I'm going to go fuel up at a different pump by my job on my lunch hour and see if I am able to get it to FULL or if it'll stop again at 3/4 tank.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If you believe that there is still room in the tank

What does the the Ram website & the window sticker tell everyone what the mileage per gallon is

Then multiply that out to see how far you should be able to travel
Then look at the EVIC & bring up the mileage range & compare the 2

That should give you an idea if your tank is not getting fuel or if your fuel gauge is incorrect

Wycheguy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
When I fill up normally (putting the fuel nozzle in the filler tube and squeezing the lever) my gauge reads full when it clicks off. I do know when I “milk” the fuel nozzle I can get almost 5 more gallons in the tank. Driving from Montana to Oklahoma I took all I could get.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Most Pumps here shut off at $90 or $100. I have put close to 30 gallons in my 2020 and 28 gallons many times when traveling.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I'm currently sitting between 1/2 and 3/4 tank. I'm going to go fuel up at a different pump by my job on my lunch hour and see if I am able to get it to FULL or if it'll stop again at 3/4 tank.
Depending on where you are here in Canada, almost all pumps you have to prepay at the pump or inside in order to get fuel. It was done to get rid of the fill and dash and all the injuries that went with that. When you prepay at the pump you choose the dollar limit, some pumps do not have a high enough limit to fiill a pickup so you need to do two transactions.

So, what was the outcome of fueling at a different station yesterday.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The gauge and the zero miles to go as well as the warning light ALL have contingency, and they do on every vehicle. My car will go easily 150KLM after the EVC say zero and the warning light comes on. Only way to know for sure is to run till she quits completely. That will tell you how many miles of contingency you actually have.

As far as the OPs original problem, you need to go see a different dealer. This is a straight warranty issue, no reason it should take two weeks to diagnose. Either the guage is not readiong right or you have plumbing issues. If it needs a new tank and piping, order it in, bring truck back when it is there. It is a two hour job to install.
OP !!! WATEVA U do, do not run that diesel down to zero till it stops running. If U have to ask why, talk to a OTR trucker or someone been in the military wat happens when U run em bone dry. ALL IMHO.... (Had a soldier run a M35A2 to bone dry, wat a PITA).

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
OP !!! WATEVA U do, do not run that diesel down to zero till it stops running. If U have to ask why, talk to a OTR trucker or someone been in the military wat happens when U run em bone dry. ALL IMHO.... (Had a soldier run a M35A2 to bone dry, wat a PITA).
I would agree you should not run a Diesel dry becasue of the issues bleeding air out of the system, however, Power Wagons are not diesel. There is no issue running a 6.4 out of gas.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not my power wagon, but my 5.7 half ton…ran it completely dry on the way to gas station…as in it started chugging and finally stalled out and i coasted to the side of the road. Dumped a can of gas in it and she fired right up no prob.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would agree you should not run a Diesel dry becasue of the issues bleeding air out of the system, however, Power Wagons are not diesel. There is no issue running a 6.4 out of gas.
YEAH, I was looking at his AVATAR which said Cummins 6.7L Truck, and not what he wrote, duh, dumb BOIRD duh.............. :rolleyes:

YEP, when they ran that M35A2 dry, good thing the old deuce's had air tanks. We had to use air hose to purge the lines and push diesel thru after venting and opening ports to get that old thang started. Wat a mess, and it was cold as "chit" out too, nothing like cold diesel all over uniforms and hands,. LOL.

ttusomeone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Remedy...In California the Power Wagon can be fueled up daily with a gas delivery service...

There’s one of these services (Yoshi) where I live in Nashville and I’ve used them for about 3 years. It’s the best $11 a month I’ve ever spent (that’s the service fee - the gas price is based on the average of the current price at the stations around you).