2021 Ram 1500 4x4x trailer connector is HAUNTED!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chicagorandy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Help a retired geezer out - I plug a 2021 Tracker pontoon trailer into the Ram's round trailer socket? NO trailer lights work at all, none. The truck's tail lights DO function fine. but............ plugging the pontoon trailer into a 2013 Ford Explorer and a 2010 Chevy Traverse? All the trailer lights function 100% as they should. To further the mystery, plugging a 2008 boat trailer into the Ram's rear receptacle, either the flat plug or the round one? All that trailer's lights function 100%. So I am perplexed to say the least.

The pontoon trailer's plug works fine in two other vehicles, the Ram's receptacles work fine for a different trailer, leaving me to ask - "What the fergooglie?".

My troubleshooting skills tell me that the pontoon trailer's round plug and all its lights are fine, because they work 100% hooked up to the Ford and Chevy. The Ram's receptacles are fine because they light up the older boat trailer. But connecting the Ram to the pontoon trailer is a complete fail.

Can anyone point me to what might be the cause or need I hire me an exorcist?

Thanks for listening an YES, it's driving me nutz.

dsherman26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If no lights are working, I would suspect a bad or intermittent ground. Is the barrel of the connector metal? Should be getting a ground through ping #1, but maybe only the barrel is connected. That is a strange one. I'd say get a trailer light tester, but then you say the other boat trailer works. Turn signal/brake/hazards not working with the Ram either?

OP
OP
C

chicagorandy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Correct- connecting the Ram to the pontoon trailer yields NO trailer lights. Connecting other vehicles to the pontoon, all the lights function properly. I would say it's the Ram's receptacle that is screwed up BUT it works our other boat trailer just fine and dandy. With no trailer connected the Ram brake/turn/running/4 way flashers work 100%.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
First things first
pick up a trailer plug tester, like this one from Walmart will indicate if your Ram's plug is wired correctly

IF your Ram is wired correctly, after using the tester
That means that the Ford & Chevy had been modified to work with the boat trailer ??

maybe if you use that trailer often enough, either make a Jumper pigtail or buy something like this & switch the wires around to make them work.

That way, you are not changing wires in your Ram or on the trailer

Good Luck

OP
OP
C

chicagorandy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
"That means that the Ford & Chevy had been modified to work with the boat trailer ??"

The Ram, Ford and Chevy are all bone stock, no modifications, as is the brand new pontoon trailer AND the other boat trailer, which the Ram DOES light up..

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Check your fuses .

dsherman26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check your fuses .
He already said it works with the other boat trailer, so the fuses are working. I would check for a good ground at pin #1 of the truck connector and on the trailer itself. Sounds like either a bad connection at the connector, or there's an open ground that is depending on a ground connection through the hitch ball.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
There are TWO types of 7 pin connectors
Utility & RV

The colors of the wires, are often different, watch the video below & listen to what the guy says

Even more common, some trailers have a 6 pin connection & you need a special adaptor to plug into it

It is all very confusing, at least to me.

I read that if a vehicle did not come with a trailer hitch from the factory, the dealership or a shop that sells & installs hitches could use an after market hitch & 7 pin connector & wire it differently.
There again, the Tester would tell you

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does your truck have the Trailer brake controller in the dash from factory and has I been enabled, or what brake controller do you have, I know you're not using the brake function, but is it required for the trailer lights to work.

OP
OP
C

chicagorandy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure about brake controller, it's my son's truck. But the Ram does work the LED trailer lights on an older boat trailer with no brakes. The pontoon trailer has LED lights, mechanical brakes not electric.

Last edited:

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hi there,

We see that you have received some great advice from your fellow forum members! However, if these suggestions do not address your concern and you decide to visit your dealer, our team would be happy to offer additional assistance throughout that process! We're available via private message.

Callie
Ram Cares

OP
OP
C

chicagorandy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll be with the trailer & truck over the weekend and have a few things to try - will report back win or lose.

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check and verify 7 pin. I would go and buy a NEW 7 pin and see if that helps. On MY 19, I had a 7 pin that had been using for a while, using Wife's F 150. WHen wife died, I sold her truck and got an ED and Now Hemi. I still had the original 7 pin which we bought in 2006 when we bought the WW Stock trailer, and it was worn out and losing connection.

ALSO, watch which 7 Pin U get as there are 6 Pin and 7 pin that look the same. I have a 6 pin, the 6 pin does not have the "active" connection for reverse lights, but I have no reverse on my stock trailer. I found through trial and error that some will work and some do not on RAM, why, beats me.

OP
OP
C

chicagorandy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Success...more or less. The 7 pin to 4 flat adapter worked 100% to connect the Ram and pontoon trailer. Further experimentation verified that one of the blades in the truck's 7 pin socket was not making proper contact with the pontoon trailer plug though it does with the other boat trailer. Rather than fiddle about bending the socket blades we will simply replace the truck receptacle with an OEM new one. Thanks to everyone who responded.

doc 11 ACR

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You answered your question without knowing. It a ground connection failure on the trailer. An electric brake type of system utilizes a rigid connection at the ball which serves as an additional path to ground. The surge brake system incorporates a sliding ball-to-trailer connection eliminating the additional path to ground through the ball. Look for a compromised/corroded connection or broken ground wire to the boat trailer plug.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
This COULD have been trailer side as well - I know this from experience. And the reason is because the Ford/Ram/Chevy plugs aren't the same.

I have a flatbed trailer. Everything worked fine (lights/brakes/ground) until a neighbor borrowed it with his Chevy. He had no issues, but when I went to hook up to it with my Wagon, I couldn't get the lights to function properly - they were either very dim or I only had one side.

Had NO issues with the wife's Ford.

Fast forward to the new truck, and the lights wouldn't work at all. Replaced the plug on the trailer and instantly had brakes and one side, crawled under the trailer and found a wire shorting to the frame for the other side. I haven't fixed it yet, but at least I know the problem now. Turns out he'd run over something and pinched the wire.

Which is why I don't loan stuff out very often.