2021 RAM 1500 5.7V8 towing travel Trailer 6500 lbs.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Batman1962

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi V8
2021 Ram 1500 5.7V8 Hemi towing travel trailer 6500lbs. What should be my travel gain? What is a good starting point with gain. The truck was hitched up to the trailer at the RV Center and the current Travel Gain is set at 5

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have started at middle setting, then drive forward about 29 mph. Use trailer brake only (not truck brake) and apply, if tires lock, reduce and test again. You want it just under trailer tire locking.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Once you have your truck and trailer fully loaded for camping, be sure to check the set up of your WDH. Even though the RV Center put the WDH on doesn't mean it adjusted properly.
The best way to set up a WDh is with using CAT scales. Weigh the truck and trailer fully loaded with the WDH on then drop the trailer and weigh just the truck. With those weigh numbers you can do all the math to see what needs to be moved or adjusted.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Every trailer braking system is different. As mentioned before hook loaded trailer up and head out. Adjust the brakes until you feel the drag when activated. Expect to readjust when going from pavement to gravel roads and back.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I use 5.5 for my 6000# 28'er but it has 4 wheel electric brakes..some only have two so maybe need a little higher setting. as said above, dont forget to test before getting on the open road.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Every trailer braking system is different. As mentioned before hook loaded trailer up and head out. Adjust the brakes until you feel the drag when activated. Expect to readjust when going from pavement to gravel roads and back.
With the OEM trailer brake controller, if your feeling the trailer pull back on the truck the gain is most likely too much. Over adjustment can be just as bad as not enough, if the brakes lock up the trailer can slide taking you for a ride with it.