2021 Ram 1500 Diesel Just Died

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dbierbach

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 1500
Bought a 2021 Ram 1500 Diesel a year ago. It has about 32,000 miles. I was sitting at a stop light and it just died. I tried several times to start it but no luck. Someone came by and tried to jump start but nothing. A few months ago, it was in my driveway and didn't start and that was the battery.

The truck had to be towed and is sitting at the dealership and will find out Monday the diagnosis. I've had Toyota Tacomas in the past and put nearly 300,000 miles on them and never had anything like this happen. This is my first Ram and probably my last. Am thinking of selling it and going back to a Tacoma. What a disappointment this truck has been. It's too bad because it is a nice truck otherwise.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I've had Toyota Tacomas in the past and put nearly 300,000 miles on them and never had anything like this happen. This is my first Ram and probably my last.
I always get a good chuckle when I read a line like this, your not the first to sing a similar story only replace both manufacturers with whatever two other manufacturers you want.
Unfortunately this time your the one with the *** vehicle, could have happened no matter what brand label is on the vehicle. It's something mechanical, something is bound to fail especially given the 100s of thousands built each year.
Your bigger grief will be with the dealership and how good of tech works on your vehicle or you get a parts changer.
Sounds like the truck turns over but doesn't fire? Or does it not even turn over? Either way it's most likely something electrical.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Your Toyota experience is certainly different than mine was. Best of luck.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That sucks, I'm sorry to hear of your experience and quite rightly you're dissapointed. But it's a bad time to own a toyota (at least the new tundras) as they are popping off the cab on a bunch of them to fix turbo issues.

Kenobi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L Diesel
I also moved 'up' from a Tacoma. I'll never go back to a Tacoma simply because it's such a smaller truck.

I expect in one or two model years the Tundra will have all the bugs worked out.

I get your disappointment in the Ram letting you down. But, give the dealer a chance to figure it out and see how you feel after.

For myself, my 2021 Ecodiesel is sitting most of the time simply because of the cost of fuel. :(

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That sucks, I'm sorry to hear of your experience and quite rightly you're dissapointed. But it's a bad time to own a toyota (at least the new tundras) as they are popping off the cab on a bunch of them to fix turbo issues.
YUP, a lot of the new 2022 Tundras, new 6 cylinder design for 2022 (no more V8), dual turbo's. for whatever reason the right Turbos' are failing on a lot of Tundra's. Some failing at 300 miles. GM has had a problem with New 2022 Silverado's imploding at 5,000 miles. So, not a RAM problem, but across the board. IMHO, they R trying to push out trucks as fast as they can, and the QC is failing. Heck, I need a new EFAN 850W for MY 19 Ram, ordered 1 Feb, delivery date now not until end of July at earliest. Hopefully, you can get your issue resolved.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also moved 'up' from a Tacoma. I'll never go back to a Tacoma simply because it's such a smaller truck.

I expect in one or two model years the Tundra will have all the bugs worked out.

I get your disappointment in the Ram letting you down. But, give the dealer a chance to figure it out and see how you feel after.

For myself, my 2021 Ecodiesel is sitting most of the time simply because of the cost of fuel. :(
All fuel in TX $4.00 and up now, so WTH, I try and run my MC a lot (it gets 28-30 mg), but sometimes kinda hard to get 50 lb bags of feed and dog stuff, etc, LOL. Heck, just went and topped off truck today since took a small trip and tank was 3/4 full, needed a 1/4 to fill and it was still $25.25, grrrrr.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
yas I just requested a credit limit increase on my Valero fleet card because we are about to drag the travel trailer up to colorado for a week and I'll be buying a bunch of fuel. I plan to scale back to shorter trips the rest of the summer but already locked into this one. maybe break the camping gear back out of storage and leave the trailer at home or rent a cabin for a couple of trips.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Bought a 2021 Ram 1500 Diesel a year ago. It has about 32,000 miles. I was sitting at a stop light and it just died. I tried several times to start it but no luck. Someone came by and tried to jump start but nothing. A few months ago, it was in my driveway and didn't start and that was the battery.

The truck had to be towed and is sitting at the dealership and will find out Monday the diagnosis. I've had Toyota Tacomas in the past and put nearly 300,000 miles on them and never had anything like this happen. This is my first Ram and probably my last. Am thinking of selling it and going back to a Tacoma. What a disappointment this truck has been. It's too bad because it is a nice truck otherwise.
What you do the first time ?

OP
OP
D

dbierbach

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 1500
The truck sat at a dealership for two weeks. They replaced a wire harness. Truck was fine for a couple of weeks and then I was ready to head out and it didn’t start. Had it towed again. Three days later The dealership said it started right up and they Found nothing wrong with it. Get it back and less than a week later, I started it up using the remote start and as I was walking to the truck, it died. It would not start (completely dead just like the other two times ) and had to have it towed once again. 10 days later the dealership tells me that they need to replace the RF hub. I just saw a couple of older posts With the same 2021 ram with the same exact issue. Seems this might be a theme.

hardhat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco Diesel
I also went from a Tacoma to a 2021 Ram Eco. I had my truck also die in flight on the freeway. It broke down with the dreaded but not uncommon CP4 failure.

OP
OP
D

dbierbach

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 1500
Follow up to my original post. The truck has been sitting at the dealership for a month now, was towed 9 July. They claim it is the RF hub, and are waiting for Chrysler to deliver the part, which the dealership ordered on 14 July. It was supposed to be deliverd by 24 July. We called nearly every day and now as of today (6 Aug) they now say ETA 10 August. Here I am still no part and still no truck. The dealership told me to call Chrysler consumer affairs becasue when a customer calls, Chrysler will try to find the part and get it to the dealership sooner. I did that and was assigned a case manager who would call me back within 1 business day. Do you think I got a call back? Absolutely not. A week later and after calls back to Chrysler, no return calls. I also filed a complaint with Ram and nothing from them. Here I sit, no truck and making payments.