2021 Ram 2500 diesel help rides terrible

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Damn I thought the 2500’s ride very nice! Shoot the 1500 ride like a damn sedan now. But like others have air down the tires and replacing them with like a Michelin Ltx defender will do wonders.

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know it is a truck and it will ride tougher than the Ram 1500’s I have had. I bought the 2500 diesel to pull 9000lb travel trailer. I will pull the trailer approximately 1 time per month for a few days at a time. 80% of the time I will be driving. I get grief from My room mate due to ride. The truck is stock Big Horn with Firestone tires. What can I do to make my 2500 ride better and still pull camper? Go to Michelin tires, different shocks??? Total newby. Also, I live in Canton Ga. good shop to take it to.

Any help is appreciated
Karen Baker
If it doesn't bother you... tell your room mate to hitch a ride with someone else.......

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you don't want to install a Carli level kit with new front springs, at the very least get their sway bars and a set of Fox 2.0 shocks. The rear shocks on your truck are too weak (sounds counter-intuitive), and they do a poor job of controlling springback. The front springs don't have enough travel and tend to bottom over bumps. To make that ride better, you'll spend money...No way around it. If you want a much more comfy ride for towing, buy a Chevy 2500. I had a 2020...Rode like a half ton truck. It got hit and folded like a cheap suit and for various reasons, I went back to Ram...But there is NO beating the ride of that Chevy.
Yea but the guy wants to get to where he is going... Doubtful a Chevy would make it... and... If you didn't mess with the stock suspension, all you guys who fill the pockets of the gadget salesmen on here would probably be happy with the ride quality... Buying a new truck... and the first thing people want to do is MOD it.. LOL.... I see all that stimulus money going from your pockets to some mootches... LOL

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
. I see all that stimulus money going from your pockets to some mootches... LOL
I don't view a company with a better idea to make better components backed by million$$ in sales and testimonies from the people who bought them as "mooches". And I didn't get any stimulus money. I spent my cash on it.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Definitely lower the tire pressure and I’ve thought about building a ballast box to haul around when not towing. Just something to hold about 8-900 lbs of sand. I put 800 lbs of cement in bags and my 18’ rode really well even on the stock tires but with the air pressure lowered to 55 lbs front and rear.
Also helps with traction.

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No offense but I just traded my 2018 2500 6.4 for a 2021 2500 6.7 and the 5th gens ride like cars. If you really think that your truck rides badly be thankful you haven’t owned previous versions of these trucks. I’ve owned 9 Ram trucks from 96 V10 2500 up to this 2021 and the 5th gems ride better than any HD truck I’ve ever driven. My 2018 would break your spine when you hit any tiny pothole if it was empty, put weight in it or on it and it rode great. You have a heavy duty truck and by definition they will have much stiffer suspensions to handle the load they can carry/pull. In my opinion it’s an engineering miracle that modern trucks can carry/pull the loads that they can and achieve the ride that they do.

kevcarr59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
This is my first RAM truck after starting with a new '79 F-150 Custom 4X4, and 3 more, the last being a 2016 SPORT XLT. With the OEM tires, the truck rode like a cream puff, pulling the travel trailer was SQUISHY, to say the least. Added E rated, 10 ply LT truck tires, and yes empty, it was a rough ride, but towing, it pulled very solidly, so sway at all.

The only way to get a smooth ride would be to go to an AT tire that has a lower weight rating, and softer sidewall construction. In my case, I'd be very leery doing that since we pull a 8,000# travel trailer almost monthly. Last summer we did a 6 week, almost 6,000 mile trip pulling the RV, so that's a big factor. More long range trips are planned, so I may use the OBD route to solve the TPMS alarm issue.

kevcarr59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Definitely lower the tire pressure and I’ve thought about building a ballast box to haul around when not towing. Just something to hold about 8-900 lbs of sand. I put 800 lbs of cement in bags and my 18’ rode really well even on the stock tires but with the air pressure lowered to 55 lbs front and rear.
Also helps with traction.
We have a trip planned to Missouri, and possibly CO the beginning of March. A quick run to Home Depot to grab 8 or 10 bags of sand if we run into snow. This new RAM is only my second 4X4, but needed it this past February for sure.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
The combination of suggestions is accurate.
1-lower your tire pressure when empty, 60 front 50 rear
2 - if you don't have the off road package, which comes with Bilstiens, switch your shocks to them or Fox. You will be amazed at how much better the ride is. I change my 96 2500 Dodge V10, that had the heavy duty leaf spring and camper package, to Bilsteins and it was like a whole new truck. My new 2500 Ram rides better than my old one.
3 - Some weight in the back will help, as does 300 pounds of winch on the front of the truck - I have the snow plow and 5th wheel package as well as the off road so the extra weight out front is no problem.
4 - Brake before bumps and make sure you are off the brakes going over the bump.
5 - Going too slow on rough roads actually makes the ride far worse, you need to be going fast enough for the suspension to be working properly.
6 - If you find the 2500 rough with coils, do NOT buy a 3500 that still has leafs.

WzwKS8Dl.jpg

kirk w dunn

Reaction score
Ram Year
TBD
Engine
TBD
i had 2020 silverado 3/4 ton and yes air pressure is big deal, also drove around with 500lbs in bed on consistent basis......if you want a truck to do what these HD trucks can your gonna give up something......i actually got used to and prefer the 2500 after going back to 1500 tbh.....i hated the 2500 at first......but they feel like a such a sturdier, beefier longer lasting vehicle...

if you really want to make them ride nice you will have to do a thuren or carli modification and prolly not cheap.... well worth it i would imagine