2021 Ram 2500 diesel help rides terrible

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

upi441

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi e-torque
I know it is a truck and it will ride tougher than the Ram 1500’s I have had. I bought the 2500 diesel to pull 9000lb travel trailer. I will pull the trailer approximately 1 time per month for a few days at a time. 80% of the time I will be driving. I get grief from My room mate due to ride. The truck is stock Big Horn with Firestone tires. What can I do to make my 2500 ride better and still pull camper? Go to Michelin tires, different shocks??? Total newby. Also, I live in Canton Ga. good shop to take it to.

Any help is appreciated
Karen Baker

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just lower the air pressure in the tires when not towing. I do 55 in the front tires and 45 or 50 in the rears.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I don't know about dropping the front tire pressure down on a CTD truck but yes definitely drop the rears when not towing/hauling. The only time you need 80psi in the rears is if you going to have over 1K lbs of in the bed and/or tongue weight.
I believe you can use AlfaOBD to lower the air pressure alarm threshold so you don't get a constant reminder.

Fake-Account27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I have an 18 cummins, but it does ride terrible. I have found when I am carrying 1000 lbs in the bed the ride is a lot better.

It's the tire pressure at fault, the rear end is relatively light and 80 PSI transfers a lot of force into the truck. Start by lowering to 60 PSI in the rear since that's the same pressure in the front.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Do you have the 20" wheel package?

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have a 2020 2500 Limited and I too came from a 1500 and yes in my opinion it rides rough, I have a bad back and felt every bump. Yes it's a big truck and RAM did their best to appease everyone. I tried the tire pressure, adding weight but regardless it still rode rougher than I liked. Did some research and decided to change out the front suspension to Thuren components, 1 1/2" lift front coils, sway bar and Fox shocks all around. Left the rear coils because I too tow a trailer. Without the trailer it almost rides as good as my 1500 did. Towing it's a dream, no issues and smooth as silk. I would recommend trying the sway bar first, it makes a huge difference on it's own.

Thuren Fabrication

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
other than stepping back down to a 1500 Hemi with 3.92 rear end (which would be the best choice for your situation), I would lower the tire pressure to what your door jam calls for (mine shows 60 and 65 for my 2500 Hemi. I'm not sure if there is a lot else you can do.

Good luck.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
other than stepping back down to a 1500 Hemi with 3.92 rear end (which would be the best choice for your situation), I would lower the tire pressure to what your door jam calls for (mine shows 60 and 65 for my 2500 Hemi. I'm not sure if there is a lot else you can do.

Good luck.

Mine also shows 60/65. Empty I run 50/55 and it made a big difference. My 2014 2500 called for 60/80 and rode like an old farm truck. I could only lower it to 50/70 or the light would come on.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
What about moving to (aftermarket) air suspension? I have no experience with that, but I believe if you have the money you can get 4 corner air which I'm sure would ride better.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It's the nature of the beast. I see this ALL the time when people go from a 1500 (which basically rides a car) to a HD truck made to haul a tow. Suspension has to be stiff to be able to handle the capabilities it was designed for. There are some small things you can do to help (lower tire pressure when not towing etc) but don't expect miracles ....Its a HD truck

Rken1288

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I run 55 psi on 35” tires on the factory 20’s. Thuren 2” coils up front with Fox Shocks. Rides like a dream to me.

Factory shocks and Firestones are garbage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tunaman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You think that Ram rides rough try a new Ford F-250 like I did. Good truck, strong etc,etc,etc but I guarantee it rides like a buckboard compared to the Ram!

davalt75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I second what Tunaman said. I just switched over from Ford to Ram. I've had two F250's and my new Ram 2500 rides like a Cadillac compared to both of them. I haven't driven a 1500 but they must feel like riding on a cloud. But I've driven a heavy duty truck for the past 8 years so I guess I have just gotten accustomed to the stiffer ride.

Tunaman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I run 55 psi on 35” tires on the factory 20’s. Thuren 2” coils up front with Fox Shocks. Rides like a dream to me.

Factory shocks and Firestones are garbage

Not being a wise guy o'k? but may I ask what it cost to change out the coils and shocks? You're talking front only? I've always felt the rear suspension has as much or more to do with the ride.

Rken1288

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Not being a wise guy o'k? but may I ask what it cost to change out the coils and shocks? You're talking front only? I've always felt the rear suspension has as much or more to do with the ride.

I paid $700 for front 2” Thuren coils and front Fox shocks. Rear springs and shocks are stock. I did the install myself. I live on a dirt road and the difference was huge, especially on the really rutted up sections of my road.

I do plan on upgrading my shocks all the way around in the near future however I will retain the factory rear springs.

I buy all my suspension components from CJC Off Road. Give them a call, they have great customer service. They also have a great YouTube channel that address tons of suspension related questions on Rams.

J Gerard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I recommend looking at what CJC Offroad can do for your ride. I leveled the front with a Carli Suspension, replaced the tires with Ridge Grapplers and lowered the tire pressure to 45# front and 40# rear. Towing capacity unaffected (Will raise tire pressure for more weight). Ride is exceptional now...

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I did the Thuren front coils, sway bar and Fox shocks on all four corners for about $1500. I did the install myself and then had it aligned for $80

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
If you don't want to install a Carli level kit with new front springs, at the very least get their sway bars and a set of Fox 2.0 shocks. The rear shocks on your truck are too weak (sounds counter-intuitive), and they do a poor job of controlling springback. The front springs don't have enough travel and tend to bottom over bumps. To make that ride better, you'll spend money...No way around it. If you want a much more comfy ride for towing, buy a Chevy 2500. I had a 2020...Rode like a half ton truck. It got hit and folded like a cheap suit and for various reasons, I went back to Ram...But there is NO beating the ride of that Chevy.