2021 RAM 3500 Carli vs. Thuren/Fox vs. King

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tex68w

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I picked up a 2021 RAM 3500 single cab long bed CTD a few weeks ago. I had initially planned to do a flatbed build on 40's and immediately retire it to camping/hunting/overland duties for use with a FWC but that was before I was aware of the lack of lower gear sets for the 2019+ 68RFE trucks. For now I have decided to run 37's and keep the bed and use it as a daily and weekend warrior truck for said activities for a few years and hopefully by then the lower gear sets will be available and the flatbed build can move forward.

I have always considered Thuren to be the better option for RAM/Dodge trucks but right now parts are scarce and I seem to be finding more Carli kits in stock. I am in no rush but I am also eager to get this truck build started and no one likes to drive a stock truck. I plan to tow in excess of 10K lbs a few times a year so I don't want to lose anything out back but I would like an improvement in ride quality on and off-road and better capabilities/performance off-road as well.

I am looking at both the level and 3.25" kits from Carli, Back Country Fox 2.0's and the Pintop King 2.5's and the King 2.0 and King 2.5 kits from Thuren. Your money definitely goes further with the Thuren kit's but aside from the entry level stuff they are months out. Is one of these kits better than the other, does one shock have better ride or durability, or is there a standout for towing capabilities? I know that's quite a range of requirements, but I need this truck to kind of be a jack of all trades, at least for now. Let me know what you would suggest so that I can make a decision here and get things moving.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2.0’s shocks will be a waste in my humble opinion. Your truck is just too heavy for them. I’ll do min 2.5 front and rear. Both companies have developed their research towards the RAM market so you should be in good hands. Only thing I’ve never liked from them is how they say they have to remove sprint rate for the rear coils to accommodate I’d guess longer shocks perhaps. I’m not in the habit myself of removing cargo weight management so I’ve always tried to preserve or increase that via aftermarket springs. Talk to them and see who can earn your business and get you closer to satisfy your needs.

I’ll also recommend you opening an account in expedition portal and check with others with direct experience on the matter.

OP
OP
T

tex68w

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Thanks for the reply. I have been on the Portal for years, lots of fans of both companies over there as well. Right now 2.5's and 3.0's are unobtanium for either brand so it'll have to be 2.0's for the time being and I can upgrade to the bigger King's once they become more readily available.

OP
OP
T

tex68w

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Ordered a complete Thuren kit.

man n black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Ordered a complete Thuren kit.
Smart move. IM on a full Thuren FOX 2.0 kit for a few years now..No issues whatsoever..Very Very happy with it. Don is great to work with too.

OP
OP
T

tex68w

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Smart move. IM on a full Thuren FOX 2.0 kit for a few years now..No issues whatsoever..Very Very happy with it. Don is great to work with too.

This is my second Thuren kit and I couldn't be happier.

Rshane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Can’t go wrong with either Carli or Thuren IMO. Both are quality kits with lots of research and testing.