2021 Ram Big Horn 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhenzler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I've been using a Honda Ridgeline. It's been an annoying experience. Control features are not placed for convenience, and display for AC is impossible to read day or night. Lots of annoying things. Unfortunately it ran great and was very reliable. But I use it for runs to the dump now and my daughter uses it occasionally. Has lots of dings and oops issues.

Started shopping for my RAM back in August of 2020 and put it on order in December. Figured the "Employee Pricing" they were talking up on TV was going to make it a very attractive deal. I went to the dealer and they played dumb about any special pricing and financing. I have a 850 credit score so I told them it better be available at 0% for 60 months. Well it's only 36 months. but that isn't horrible. Because I shopped it online I got a notice with my name on it saying i get $5800 off sticker. The dealer tried to say sticker had gone up, but I reminded them that my $1000 down made it a contract and binding at the previous sticker price... They grumbled but capitulated.

L love it except that the 2500 has no mileage guarantee. The rear end ratio and 6.4L Hemi (which I understand is NOT really a Hemi) gets only 12+ MPG at the end of 1000 mile break in period.

No matter... I like driving it and love having it. I'll not drive enough miles to make the gas economy a killer.

Putting a 10m ham rig in it for fun. The bedliner may prevent good antenna operation with a mag mount. I may have to use a 3/8 x 24 threaded mount for my Firestick and drill out one of the aluminum rails for the bed system. That might work out to be best as it's grounded, and will provide a good solic mounting place similar to a ball mount.

Well gonna go look into 12V power issues. More as things unfold.

Attachments

• 2021 BigHorn.png
    2021 BigHorn.png
    719.3 KB · Views: 16
  • call_plate.png
    call_plate.png
    440.2 KB · Views: 16
  • RAM-2500.jpg
    RAM-2500.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 16

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome Its not about the MPG its about the Smiles Per Gallon you get. You get about the same as my 12 2wd 5.7. I average 13-14 mpg.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Congratulations! Great looking machine. Yes, the 6.4L engine is a Hemi engine. To be a Hemi means to have siamese-oriented valves in the cylinder head. These valves are perpendicular to the crank axis, instead of parallel on non-Hemi engines.

"Hemi" is just a marketing name Chrysler uses. It wasn't even the first name for this valve train - it was first marketed as "crossfire" due to the crossflow of the combustion air like a 2-stroke cylinder. For whatever reason, "crossfire" didn't catch on with the public, so they tried "Hemi" due to the hemispherical cylinder head necessary to set the valves across from each other. That caught on for whatever reason.

The hemispherical cylinder head is expensive to machine, so they went to some type of pentagon shape that costs less but does the exact same thing - puts valves across from each other. So yes, it's a "Hemi" without a hemispherical head!