2021 RAM features and Specs - from FCA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steven_sbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FCA has posted the 2021 RAM features and specs.

The full press kit is here: https://media.fcanorthamerica.com/newsrelease.do?id=21967&mid=70

New for 2021:
  • New Ram 1500 Limited Longhorn 10th Anniversary Edition joins the lineup and features badging on the doors, tailgate, cluster, seats, floor mats, instrument panel, console and a new graphic upon start-up. Inside, the Limited Longhorn 10th Anniversary Edition features a Mountain Brown dipped interior color with unique door bolsters, seat insert, trim bezels, center stack surround, speaker grilles, berber carpet and a metal pedal kit
  • All-new Head-up Display (HUD) unit, the first application in an FCA vehicle, is an optional full-color unit that can show up to five different content areas at once and can be customized through the available Uconnect 4C 12-inch touchscreen. The HUD unit can show areas of interest that include Lane Departure, Lane Keep Assist, adaptive cruise control, turn-by-turn navigation, current speed, current gear and speed limit
  • New digital rearview mirror is an available option with a 9.2-inch wide LCD monitor. The digital rearview mirror displays video in real time from a rear-facing camera and can be turned off to revert back to a traditional reflective mirror
  • Trailer Reverse Steering Control joins the available Trailer Package and allows the driver to enter a few measurements before the camera tracks the trailer position to back up and guide the trailer. Simply rotate the dial left or right in the direction you want the trailer to go while the system controls the steering wheel
  • New Ram 1500 Snow Plow Prep option includes a 220-amp alternator, truck-side plow wiring harness and a rear power-sliding window with defroster
  • Power fold trailer mirrors are now available as a standalone option or with 360-degree Surround View camera
  • Off-Road pages now included with available 4x4 Off-Road Group and show ride height, transfer case position, pitch and roll and accessory gauges
  • Trailer Light Check and Trailer Tire Pressure Monitoring joins the available Trailer Package
  • Wired Trailer Camera Prep Kit is available on all 2021 Ram 1500 models
  • Pedestrian Detection added to Advanced Safety Group that includes Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop and Go, Lane Keep Assist, automatic high beams, 360-degree Surround View camera and Parallel/ Perpendicular Park Assist
  • Full-speed Collision Warning Plus is now standard on Laramie, Rebel, Longhorn, Limited Longhorn and Limited. Available on Tradesman and Bighorn with Level 1 Equipment Groups

Available Exterior Colors
Monotone:
  • Delmonico Red Pearl
  • Flame Red
  • Hydro Blue
  • Patriot Blue Pearl
  • Maximum Steel Metallic
  • Granite Crystal Metallic
  • Billet Silver Metallic
  • Olive Green
  • Diamond Black Crystal Pearl
  • Bright White
  • Ivory Tri-Coat
Two-tone:
  • Billet Silver Metallic
  • RV Match Walnut Brown Metallic

Attachments

• 2021_RAM_1500_FA.pdf
    193.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 2021_RAM_1500_SP.pdf
    181.9 KB · Views: 29

Jim M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
Thanks for posting this. As I was reading I kept thinking Damn! That's just what I want on my 2020. And hearing cha-ching.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Snow plow prep on a 1500? Trailer reverse steering? How did we ever manage to back up a trailer all these years without it???

Sounds like all trucks will be pushing $100K before long.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
My car has a HUD and the camera rear view mirror.
The HUD is awesome. But the mirror is little to be desired.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
Snow plow prep on a 1500? Trailer reverse steering? How did we ever manage to back up a trailer all these years without it???

Sounds like all trucks will be pushing $100K before long.

In some cases with big old scratches!

Interested to see how effective it is, since it does not have the trailer measurements like the Ford system.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
My plan is to gift my 19 to my daughter when she finishes her degree as I did my 17 to my son when he got his degree and buy another new truck.

But, I have a 65 C-10 Chevy thats been in storage on the farm for the past 28 years. Maybe I’ll just spend the $$ to have a retro mod done w/LS engine, auto trans, disc brakes and A/C and basically go back to the basics. It’ll be cheaper than another new one. I’ll have to see what options the Lonestar has and the pricing first, but I know it isn’t going to be less of either than the 19 I have.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
In some cases with big old scratches!

Interested to see how effective it is, since it does not have the trailer measurements like the Ford system.
I'm not familiar with Ford's system, so maybe I'm missing something, but isn't that what this is saying?...

"Trailer Reverse Steering Control joins the available Trailer Package and allows the driver to enter a few measurements before the camera tracks the trailer position to back up and guide the trailer. Simply rotate the dial left or right in the direction you want the trailer to go while the system controls the steering wheel"

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
I didn’t see the 6.4’ Rambox as available. Guess maybe 2022! And I agree about the power folding trailer tow mirrors. What took so long?

Ken W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for sharing...thought i read somewhere that they were making Apple CarPlay available via Bluetooth in addition to USB. Maybe not a big enough upgrade to list.

BNeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for sharing...thought i read somewhere that they were making Apple CarPlay available via Bluetooth in addition to USB. Maybe not a big enough upgrade to list.

That will come with the next-gen UConnect and it will be wifi not bluetooth - at least that's my understanding. My dealer is telling me UConnect-5 may be released as a mid-year upgrade, or 2022 models, but not this first run of '21's.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
I'm not familiar with Ford's system, so maybe I'm missing something, but isn't that what this is saying?...

"Trailer Reverse Steering Control joins the available Trailer Package and allows the driver to enter a few measurements before the camera tracks the trailer position to back up and guide the trailer. Simply rotate the dial left or right in the direction you want the trailer to go while the system controls the steering wheel"
I said you need to enter the measurements with Ford, you sent me a link confirming that's true, so we're off to a good start.

With both systems you turn a knob that will move a path indicator on your rear view camera display, and the truck will steer and or counter steer itself so the trailer follows that path.

The Ford system will not function unless you place a sticker on your trailer and enter four measurements (ball location, sticker location vs ball and camera, trailer pivot point). The system uses this information to calculate how it needs to steer and counter steer to back up the unit to the location you indicated by turning the dial and setting the target line.

It has been reported that that Ram system uses the rear parking sensors. No stickers. No entry of measurments. You drive around a bit with the trailer attached and it determines the critical measurements it will need to anticipate how the trailer will move in relation to the truck and its own axles. The system uses this information to calculate how it needs to steer and counter steer to back up the unit to the location you indicated by turning the dial and setting the target line.

The Ford system takes a bit of work to setup and has a few points of failure (damaged sticker, miss-measurement) but is very accurate in positioning the trailer as intended.

If RAM system's measurements for ball and trailer pivot are accurate this is a big time saver and removes a few points of failure, but if the measurements are off the trailer is not going to be where you or the truck expect it to be greatly diminishing the value of the feature.

CYSTemrebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 liter
Good grief! Lots of more complicated things to go wrong and cost time, money and grief! The average cost of a tune up today on a modern vehicle approaches a grand. I have a 2008 2500 SLT and a 1979 Chev van. No pollution crap on the van, and tune up cost for it is 10% of the van tune up. Old vehicles are not built to be disposable high maintenance cost units.

Everyone screams SAFETY but common sense defensive driving could eliminate many gadgets without compromising safety.

In high school my son, 22 years ago, sat through a speech given by a car dealership rep topically addressing careers in that field. He asked her about increasing costs and his 1976 Chev basic 3/4 ton truck which he represented as a low maintenance reliable vehicle. Her snotty response was "It is people like you with older vehicles who cause dealerships to go bankrupt."

The convoluted message was frugality is NOT POLITICALLY CORRECT and we are supposed to subject ourselves to financial **** and indulge in wasteful entitled spending habits! Well that truck is still used and our fleet consists of three seventies vehicles, two seventies era motorcycles, and the 1976 Chev4WD has cost 14% to maintain over its ownership by him since 22 years ago. That includes a whole cab bought in Phoenix and a new engine.

I use my 2008 Dodge a lot but the 1979 Chevy van is driven more and more by me even for work applications like transporting saplings for transplantation, cabling components, estimates on rainy days when the motorcycles are not driven, etc

I have news for the CYSTem. I meet and see more and more people buying/restoring older vehicles especially for personal transportation use for the same reasons I do. I meet clients with old vehicles parked in their driveways and used every day, and others with '/purhased older vehicles headed for restoration.

The ecowhacko crowd and the mileage crooners have been responsible for higher mileage vehicles as time passes. The god of higher mileage does get his blood sacrifices though from his worshippers. They do not tell you that higher mileage is largely connected to lighter vehicles using lots of plastic. This results in less protection and more injuries/fatalities in collisions. Lives are sacrificed.

A personal example was a modern TOYota mini van hitting the right side of my trailer carrying a stump grinder weighing 3600 pounds. The damage to the trailer was a bent axle costing $360.00 to replace. The van was TOTALLED fortunately with no serious injuries. I told the officer this is insane. His response was "New vehicles are made to collapse."

I drive BIG heavy vehicles. For mileage considerations I drive a motorcycle but with no protection, though I can stop faster, accelerate faster and fit in tighter places than a car. It is ideal for estimates.

As to the big heavy vehicles I drive on trips, the cost of a funeral can buy a lot of fuel.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I said you need to enter the measurements with Ford, you sent me a link confirming that's true, so we're off to a good start.
Hahaha...I didn't send you a link, it was a quote from the Ram announcement. In other words, the Ram system will allow the driver to enter measurements.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
Hahaha...I didn't send you a link, it was a quote from the Ram announcement. In other words, the Ram system will allow the driver to enter measurements.
If it's going to go wrong best to do it early! Reads almost identically to Fords blurbs.

Odd the source you quote mentions using the camera, where the others like FTL mention use of parking sensor. Curious to see how well it will do trying to track the trailer angle in inclement conditions if there is indeed not going to be a sticker.

Ford is using Magna's TAD system. They have a TAD2, but I have not seen any details.

https://www.magna.com/innovation/dr...ing-to-the-next-level-with-a-magna-innovation

Last edited:

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
Thanks for posting this. As I was reading I kept thinking Damn! That's just what I want on my 2020. And hearing cha-ching.

ya ..I would buy a truck that didnt have all the high tech stuff..If you could get a good sound system and leather buckets on a Tradesman or Lonestar 2500, I would buy one..the jump to just a few nice things on trucks nowadays kicks the price up several thousand because you have to get a package full of stuff many of us can do without. a few years ago before I switched to a ram I bought a '17 gmc sierra slt 4x4 ccsb and after listening to all the greatness of it from the sales department I was bombarded by the finance guy with warnings how the computer system that runs it all would eventually crap out costing me 5000$ so I better buy one of their warranty programs..less computer systems and a more trucklike truck would be fine for me..If I want frills and hightech I can just ride in my wife's Infiniti..

Last edited:

Mohican69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
I'd really like a rear defrost option on my rear window with the slider.

FCA has posted the 2021 RAM features and specs.

The full press kit is here: https://media.fcanorthamerica.com/newsrelease.do?id=21967&mid=70

New for 2021:
  • New Ram 1500 Limited Longhorn 10th Anniversary Edition joins the lineup and features badging on the doors, tailgate, cluster, seats, floor mats, instrument panel, console and a new graphic upon start-up. Inside, the Limited Longhorn 10th Anniversary Edition features a Mountain Brown dipped interior color with unique door bolsters, seat insert, trim bezels, center stack surround, speaker grilles, berber carpet and a metal pedal kit
  • All-new Head-up Display (HUD) unit, the first application in an FCA vehicle, is an optional full-color unit that can show up to five different content areas at once and can be customized through the available Uconnect 4C 12-inch touchscreen. The HUD unit can show areas of interest that include Lane Departure, Lane Keep Assist, adaptive cruise control, turn-by-turn navigation, current speed, current gear and speed limit
  • New digital rearview mirror is an available option with a 9.2-inch wide LCD monitor. The digital rearview mirror displays video in real time from a rear-facing camera and can be turned off to revert back to a traditional reflective mirror
  • Trailer Reverse Steering Control joins the available Trailer Package and allows the driver to enter a few measurements before the camera tracks the trailer position to back up and guide the trailer. Simply rotate the dial left or right in the direction you want the trailer to go while the system controls the steering wheel
  • New Ram 1500 Snow Plow Prep option includes a 220-amp alternator, truck-side plow wiring harness and a rear power-sliding window with defroster
  • Power fold trailer mirrors are now available as a standalone option or with 360-degree Surround View camera
  • Off-Road pages now included with available 4x4 Off-Road Group and show ride height, transfer case position, pitch and roll and accessory gauges
  • Trailer Light Check and Trailer Tire Pressure Monitoring joins the available Trailer Package
  • Wired Trailer Camera Prep Kit is available on all 2021 Ram 1500 models
  • Pedestrian Detection added to Advanced Safety Group that includes Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop and Go, Lane Keep Assist, automatic high beams, 360-degree Surround View camera and Parallel/ Perpendicular Park Assist
  • Full-speed Collision Warning Plus is now standard on Laramie, Rebel, Longhorn, Limited Longhorn and Limited. Available on Tradesman and Bighorn with Level 1 Equipment Groups
Available Exterior Colors
Monotone:
  • Delmonico Red Pearl
  • Flame Red
  • Hydro Blue
  • Patriot Blue Pearl
  • Maximum Steel Metallic
  • Granite Crystal Metallic
  • Billet Silver Metallic
  • Olive Green
  • Bright White