2022 1500 5.7 Bighorn Remote Lock/Unlock/Alarm Buttons Do Nothing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob_M

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did a search, saw some similar problems but not close enough (to me) to consider them the same.

It's a new 2022 5.7 Bighorn 2WD Crew Cab, purchased new at end of December 2021, has about 3500 miles on it. Used regularly, doesn't sit for more than a couple days at a time.

Yesterday we were fitting a new dog bed thingie in the back seat, one that straps across the two rear headrests and the two front seat headrests. It forms a "U" in which the dog can move around in and not be stuck in a carrier. We had both back doors open for probably 30-ish minutes. Also had the bed tailgate open for a while.

After we were done we closed everything up and used the remote keyfob to lock the doors. It worked fine, horn honked and lights flashed, no issues/problems. Went into the house and did other things. A little while later, I went to the house window and used the keyfob remote to lock the truck. The lights flashed once but I did not hear the horn honk. A bit weird, I thought. So I attempted to unlock using the keyfob and got ZERO response from the truck - lights didn't flash, horn didn't honk - absolutely nothing.

I got my wife's keyfob, it didn't do anything either - nothing. No lights flashing, no horm honk. Totally weird I thought. Only 9 months old, batteries should last a few years...

I tried the door handles, locked as they should be. Tried the keyfob again with it up against the driver and passenger windows, still nothing. Walked around the truck trying various positions. Tried several times while waving the keyfobs around - Zero response.

So I took the valet key out of the keyfob and unlocked the door. The alarm went off when I opened the drivers door. I pressed the lock button on the keyfob and the alarm shutoff. I closed the door, used the keyfob to lock/unlock a few times, everything was again working normally - doors locked and unlocked, the lights flashed as they should. Repeated this for 3-4-5 cycles using both keyfobs, all worked ok everytime.

For now, I'll chalk it up to gremlins. But will watch to see if it happens again. It's also worth mentioning that just last week I tried to have the U-Connect Stereo read a text aloud which caused the stereo to go into no-op mode - no station change, no volume change, no button response - totally locked up. I pulled the fuse (F44 I believe), waited 5-10 seconds before plugging it back in. The stereo was back in full working order after that.

Passing this along just in case anyone else has the problem.

Also asking if anyone has had this happen and if they were able to find a cause and resolution.

Thanks,
Bob

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
2019 Lonestar, level 2 w/8.4 screen: Never an issue with the infotainment system reading texts.

Did have one weird instance with the FOB not working. Had parked in the outer limits of a grocery store lot close to a portable, solar powered CCTV unit. There were two newer Buicks parked in close proximity too. All three of us came out of the store at about the same time. None of our FOBS would work. All of us tried everything we could think of. One Buick owner called someone to pick her up and left her car. The other kept trying, same as me. About 40 minutes went by and both the Buick and my truck started at the time time. Figure it had to be interference from the CCTV unit. This was 3 months ago. My truck has worked perfectly since. I’ve avoided portable CCTV towers though. Don’t know about the Buicks.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 14 sport with the keyless entry, pushbutton start, 8 sp.
2 or 3 times it has locked me out, everything dead, but open door with the key and push the start button with fob and everything back to normal. It will key the alarm when you open the door with the key.
Last time it happened ,last year ,I had left all the keys and the little key in the fob at home, and run up for milk ,late at night, same damn thing , and no*** key. Wife in bed sleeping.
So bought new battery , did not help, as I knew the should be O.K.

Phoned the wife, she is pissed, but brought her fob up, same thing, so not the fob, but have the key to open the door. So it is the tuck not picking fob signal up.

I do not go out with out that key, at my age I can't stand the abuse for that trip she made. She is not a night girl , I am.

In your case sounds like interference, mind you with buicks who knows, they could put a spell on your truck. Friend has one , it is made in China. BIL had one as well, when new his wife looking at buttons on counsel and asked what is this? and pushed it, was the electic E brake, locked the wheels up at highway speed, damn near killed them, I was never in it.
But I did like the "57 I has, Dad had a '53 buick as well

Last edited:

Ondgas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 Hemi
Have 2022 1500 Lonestar with only 1500 miles or so. Exact same thing happened to me. One common denominator seems to be when myself and the others have two or more doors open and when all the doors get closed, the truck locks all doors. I closed the passenger door and it didn’t close all the way. When I tried to open again to shut it all the way, all the doors were locked and both fobs wouldnt work I too had to use the key to enter truck but no alarm went off. I restarted truck and now everything is working normal. I’m guessing there’s a program glitch that triggers this event. I plan to ask dealership about it but we all know how that usually turns out.