2022 1500 Classic Audio Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoToad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My new Ram came with the Uconnect 5 audio system and, I believe, consists of a 6 speaker system. I am running my tunes from my phone via Bluetooth and have also tried them from a thumb drive. The Uconnect system has only a small 3 band Equalizer and really doesn't help much at all. What I am trying to improve on is the muddy sound that is apparent whether I am playing my tunes or listening to the radio. My phone player app has a multi band equalizer and I am able to make some improvements, but not a lot. First question is where do I find output info on this unit? Watts etc. Also, as I do like driving, listening to my tunes at this point I am hardly more than curious. If I increase the volume I get a clearer sound but my old, damaged hearing (Tinitus) can't take that. And, no, it's not me, it really is the stereo producing muddy sound. I have installed aftermarket units (mainly Atoto) in previous vehicles with vast improvement to sound. And I am not about to upgrade a Uconnect unit for a couple thousand dollars. Adding an amp (preamp?) might be something I would consider. The only thing that really bothers me with the 5.0 unit (besides the sound) is the tiny backup camera screen. But I can live with that. So the question is, beginning with output, how can I gain clarity of sound from my brand new, existing unit?

Ramtastic1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
What I would do is replace the 6x9 speakers in the front and rear doors. That is the first thing I did and it was a night and day difference. I have included a link for the Pioneer speakers I put in my truck ($60 a pair).

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My new Ram came with the Uconnect 5 audio system and, I believe, consists of a 6 speaker system. I am running my tunes from my phone via Bluetooth and have also tried them from a thumb drive. The Uconnect system has only a small 3 band Equalizer and really doesn't help much at all. What I am trying to improve on is the muddy sound that is apparent whether I am playing my tunes or listening to the radio. My phone player app has a multi band equalizer and I am able to make some improvements, but not a lot. First question is where do I find output info on this unit? Watts etc. Also, as I do like driving, listening to my tunes at this point I am hardly more than curious. If I increase the volume I get a clearer sound but my old, damaged hearing (Tinitus) can't take that. And, no, it's not me, it really is the stereo producing muddy sound. I have installed aftermarket units (mainly Atoto) in previous vehicles with vast improvement to sound. And I am not about to upgrade a Uconnect unit for a couple thousand dollars. Adding an amp (preamp?) might be something I would consider. The only thing that really bothers me with the 5.0 unit (besides the sound) is the tiny backup camera screen. But I can live with that. So the question is, beginning with output, how can I gain clarity of sound from my brand new, existing unit?

I have a completely different sound system but I thought it was marginal in quality until I tweaked the settings. I have the Alpine 9 speaker with sub-option.

That said, I've read endless complaints about this specific Alpine system. Many seemed to be about it lacking bass, not mine. Most were about poor clarity or muffled sound.

The frequency response of the front and rear speakers are very different and adjusting the center of the listening area seemed to significantly change the sound on my truck. You can always experiment and see if these changes improve the listening quality.

First, I tweaked the center point. This changes the amount of signal power delivered to the sets of speakers. I set it to be centred in the backseat area. This reduced the tinny sound created by too much signal to the front speakers and provided a more full sound from the backseat area.

Ram audio bal fade.jpg

Next, I reduced the bass and raised the mid-range, otherwise, the bass was booming to the point of distortion and without the elevated mid-range, it sounded a bit too flat.

Ram audio EQ.jpg

Then I went back & forth between the two settings and fine-tuned. Don't forget to tweak the volume control too, it has an influence on these adjustments.

I'm convinced that these adjustments provided a significant improvement to the sound quality of my truck.

You have a different truck, a different sound system and a different listening preference. What works best for you is likely different but this illustrates the idea that moving the sound center point and tweaking that feeble 3-band EQ can make a subjective difference.

Good luck with your tweaking. :cool:

OP
OP
MoToad

MoToad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Looking into it. Not that I want to start replacing things right off the lot.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
If you have AlfaOBD you can connect directly to the radio and disable/enable the loudness setting via the app. It's not a user accessible menu option but disabling it might be exactly what you are looking for.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking into it. Not that I want to start replacing things right off the lot.
If you do go the replacement/upgrade route you’ll appreciate the base audio system on your truck versus the upgraded Alpine system. The base system is much easier to modify than the Alpine. I agree with your assessment that the sound quality is acceptable but muddy. I’d assume the majority of upgrades done are aftermarket speakers. I’ve gone this route and it does indeed improve clarity. The OEM speakers are low quality paper cone capacitor restricted units that don’t do much for clarity.

OP
OP
MoToad

MoToad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If you have AlfaOBD you can connect directly to the radio and disable/enable the loudness setting via the app. It's not a user accessible menu option but disabling it might be exactly what you are looking for.
I have no problem with the loudness settings. And on or off makes no difference.

OP
OP
MoToad

MoToad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have a completely different sound system but I thought it was marginal in quality until I tweaked the settings. I have the Alpine 9 speaker with sub-option.

That said, I've read endless complaints about this specific Alpine system. Many seemed to be about it lacking bass, not mine. Most were about poor clarity or muffled sound.

The frequency response of the front and rear speakers are very different and adjusting the center of the listening area seemed to significantly change the sound on my truck. You can always experiment and see if these changes improve the listening quality.

First, I tweaked the center point. This changes the amount of signal power delivered to the sets of speakers. I set it to be centred in the backseat area. This reduced the tinny sound created by too much signal to the front speakers and provided a more full sound from the backseat area.

View attachment 522754

Next, I reduced the bass and raised the mid-range, otherwise, the bass was booming to the point of distortion and without the elevated mid-range, it sounded a bit too flat.

View attachment 522755

Then I went back & forth between the two settings and fine-tuned. Don't forget to tweak the volume control too, it has an influence on these adjustments.

I'm convinced that these adjustments provided a significant improvement to the sound quality of my truck.

You have a different truck, a different sound system and a different listening preference. What works best for you is likely different but this illustrates the idea that moving the sound center point and tweaking that feeble 3-band EQ can make a subjective difference.

Good luck with your tweaking. :cool:

Ya I've played with all of that. It was of no help.

OP
OP
MoToad

MoToad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have now spoken to the dealer, trying to get info on the oem system and nobody knew anything. I also checked out the Pioneer speakers. There were several reviews with people saying a night and day difference. A search of Youtube for door speaker replacement on newer Rams brought up several where upgraders compared what came out of the doors to what went in. Pretty amazed at the poor quality of what came out. So for under $100 I put in an order for two Pioneers and figured I'd replace the fronts and if I see a noticeable difference I'll do the rears.

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
One of the best upgrades to that system if not going to amp it is the Kicker speaker system. It is paired for the correct ohms at each location as the fronts and dash are in parallel.
They have a high a high sensitivity rating, 92 so they are very efficient. I’ve installed a few of these for buddies and they absolutely hit!
KICKER for Dodge Ram Crew Cab 2012 & up Speaker Bundle- 2-Pairs of CS 6x9 Speakers, & a Pair of CS 3.5" Speakers https://a.co/d/1IYmCfO