2022 3500 HO - P2459 Dealer Replacing Rocker Arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

Diller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins
Well I was able to get back to the dealership yesterday. Looks like they replaced 6 rockers and 12 pushrods. I asked the service manager what tests were performed or how it was diagnosed. The short answer is for this condition, they submit the CEL and characteristics of the issue to Ram and then Ram responds with the recommended repair. It sounded to me as if the dealerships only perform diagnostics but do not get to choose the repair. That being said, they noted rocker arm noise and an oil passage defect (pushrods). I will say the engine does sound ever so slightly quieter and seems to be just slightly smoother at idle. I'll be keeping an eye on the DPF screen to see if the regen cycles space out and stick to a couple 5,000 mile oil changes to see if wear metals change at all.

Attachments

• Service 1.jpg
    Service 1.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
D

Diller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins
Well it didn't take long to see if the swapped parts fixed the problem. Two more regens this week at 160 and 170 miles between regens. Going back to the dealership Monday for more diagnostics.

OP
OP
D

Diller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins
Small update. Took the truck back in on the 8th and they checked a few sensors and pulled the DPF to see if it was overly sooty but didn't find anything. Got the truck back and started to have more frequent regens until I finally got another CEL. Truck going back to the dealership tomorrow.

Small side note. Several thousand miles ago I changed air filters to a Wix unit (always had great luck with Wix in every other vehicle). After doing some research it looks like these trucks are extremely sensitive to the filters. I bought a new Mopar unit from Genos Garage and put it in. So far it actually looks like it going to allow the truck to go much longer between regens (80-130 miles before to over 200 now) however the DPF gauge seems to be filling up quicker than it should so I'm thinking there is more to it than just the air filter.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Small update. Took the truck back in on the 8th and they checked a few sensors and pulled the DPF to see if it was overly sooty but didn't find anything. Got the truck back and started to have more frequent regens until I finally got another CEL. Truck going back to the dealership tomorrow.

Small side note. Several thousand miles ago I changed air filters to a Wix unit (always had great luck with Wix in every other vehicle). After doing some research it looks like these trucks are extremely sensitive to the filters. I bought a new Mopar unit from Genos Garage and put it in. So far it actually looks like it going to allow the truck to go much longer between regens (80-130 miles before to over 200 now) however the DPF gauge seems to be filling up quicker than it should so I'm thinking there is more to it than just the air filter.
It seems very unlikely that the Wix air filter was the problem. I do hope they get the problem figured out for you though.
On my 2017 I have no idea if it has ever done a regen. If it has I have never seen any indication of it. I now have 74k miles on it and I've used Wix air and fuel filters since I bought it in 2019.

OP
OP
D

Diller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins
It seems very unlikely that the Wix air filter was the problem. I do hope they get the problem figured out for you though.
On my 2017 I have no idea if it has ever done a regen. If it has I have never seen any indication of it. I now have 74k miles on it and I've used Wix air and fuel filters since I bought it in 2019.

If you do some searching around the internet, you will find that the filter issue is a 5th gen only problem. Still doesn't seem like there is a lot of information on why but there are a few TSBs out for updating the filter part number.

jacob302

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Please let us know the air filter TSB's. What is the correct P/N for the air filter to buy per the latest TSB ?