2022 - 7,000 mile - 6.4l Engine Knock at Startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will say that knock is far from normal. I have a 5.7 and rent a hemi-powered vehicle about every other week for business travel, usually a Durango R/T.
I would absolutely demand a new motor. Regardless how many people state noisy start-ups here, the point remains that its not normal. That is metal interfering with other metal which equals impending failure. Hemi’s tick yes….but that noise is not it.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have a 6.4 Challenger and it's dead quiet on start-up,and my neighbour has a 2021 2500 with the 6.4 and it's also quiet on start-up.Somethings up with yours,as that's not a normal noise

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thats excessive noise at start up and running, to me it sounds like the lower end, do what's called a torque stand start it put it in drive W/ foot on the brake and increase the RPM's and see if the noise worseness that will give you a better idea, also I don't like the fact that it had the original oil in it when you changed it, I would bet they never changed the lifters, I would push for a new engine!!!!

OP
OP
Units

Units

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Bighorn
Engine
6.7l Cummins
Thats excessive noise at start up and running, to me it sounds like the lower end, do what's called a torque stand start it put it in drive W/ foot on the brake and increase the RPM's and see if the noise worseness that will give you a better idea, also I don't like the fact that it had the original oil in it when you changed it, I would bet they never changed the lifters, I would push for a new engine!!!!
So I tried to put it in gear when I started it and as soon as a load got put on the motor the noise quit. It that the load test you speak of? Do you have any idea what that could mean since the noise quits when I put it in gear?

OP
OP
Units

Units

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Bighorn
Engine
6.7l Cummins
I have a 6.4 Challenger and it's dead quiet on start-up,and my neighbour has a 2021 2500 with the 6.4 and it's also quiet on start-up.Somethings up with yours,as that's not a normal noise.
Took it back up there the other day and the guy tried to tell me like I’m some dumb *** that they sound like that cause they put “racing” lifters in there. I said so every challenger with the 6.4 makes that noise? All I got was crickets.

OP
OP
Units

Units

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Bighorn
Engine
6.7l Cummins
Boy....That sounds bad. As OCD as I am about engine noises, I would go crazy hearing that at startup.
Yeah I can’t get over it either. I’m gonna keep on them.

Hirsbrunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you tried a different dealer? If they're going to say every 6.4L sounds like that, maybe a second opinion (and a different shop) would be worth your time.

OP
OP
Units

Units

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Bighorn
Engine
6.7l Cummins
Have you tried a different dealer? If they're going to say every 6.4L sounds like that, maybe a second opinion (and a different shop) would be worth your time.
Yeah, that’s my next ave. I feel extremely jaded at this point. Considering cutting my losses and trading it in.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have any idea what that could mean since the noise quits when I put it in gear?
The noise should have been more obvious under a load, that's telling me it's in the lower end, push for the oil pan removed and inspected for metal, stay after the RB'ss

Rramit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2022 Ram 2500 Tradesman, bought with 4,000 miles on it in February (valentines day - yes, caught crap for that) got a pretty good deal I felt, dealership re upped the 3yr/36k bumper to bumper since it was so new. Had the truck for 2 weeks and noticed a knock at startup after sitting overnight for a good minute before slowly quieting down. Took it back to the dealer, they had it for a month and after many phone calls, dealer said they have to do a bunch of testing ( oil pump pressure, compression, etc…) Long story short, they ended up replacing all the lifters and tappets, got it back 2 days before my 1000 mile camping trip towing my 7000lb camper (which is why the truck was purchased), still made the noise but took it anyway since we had booked the site in advance. Noise has seemed to get more prevalent since we got back from our trip last week, it now does it not just after sitting overnight night but after it has set for about two hours. Called dealership and scheduled to bring it back in about two weeks. I have the first repair invoice and it says “ partial/incomplete repair - truck still makes knocking on start up, conferring with star to find possible cause”. Not real happy, not a wealthy man. For me, beaucoup bucks spent on this rig. Love my truck and am super happy the dealer did not just blow me off, the truck in my mind obviously has an issue since the dealer took the time to replace the lifters. Has anyone had this noise before, and what was the outcome? Would appreciate any suggestions/ideas if the 2nd visit to the dealership doesn’t go how I want (just fix it). By the way, 1st time Ram owner and first time poster to this site, great information. Start up vid below.

https://youtu.be/Brvt86riqgw
I have a 2022 Power Wagon with the same issue. Had lifters replaced and engine is still ticking, it took them a month for that. Had differential bearings replaced, it took them another month. Have to take it back again for differential. Leaving on a camping trip and have to tow my camper hope nothing happens.

Attachments

• IMG_2861.jpg
    IMG_2861.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
Units

Units

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Bighorn
Engine
6.7l Cummins
I have a 2022 Power Wagon with the same issue. Had lifters replaced and engine is still ticking, it took them a month for that. Had differential bearings replaced, it took them another month. Have to take it back again for differential. Leaving on a camping trip and have to tow my camper hope nothing happens.
The dealership called me and I have an appointment in a few weeks to bring my truck in to have a Chrysler engineer to look at my truck since apparently the dealership cannot figure out why the truck is knocking like that at startup. I’ll post an update to this thread when I get an answer, hopefully they come up with a fix.

OP
OP
Units

Units

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Bighorn
Engine
6.7l Cummins
The noise should have been more obvious under a load, that's telling me it's in the lower end, push for the oil pan removed and inspected for metal, stay after the RB'ss
I have a date set to have a Chrysler engineer look at my truck in a few weeks. Hopefully I get a satisfactory answer.

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
My 2022 does the same noise but not that long. I live on a mountain and the exit of my complex is at the bottom. When I leave my driveway the truck is engine braking so it bring the RPM up. It will make that noise loudly if I apply my brakes but if I accelerate or put the trans in neutral noise instantly goes away. Of coarse the dealer says they cannot duplicated it. I am going to put a gopro under the truck and do it so it can record the ground and the noise at the same time. I am interested what they find. My truck has 10000 miles on it and has had the oil changes twice at 5K each at the dealer.

OP
OP
Units

Units

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Bighorn
Engine
6.7l Cummins
My 2022 does the same noise but not that long. I live on a mountain and the exit of my complex is at the bottom. When I leave my driveway the truck is engine braking so it bring the RPM up. It will make that noise loudly if I apply my brakes but if I accelerate or put the trans in neutral noise instantly goes away. Of coarse the dealer says they cannot duplicated it. I am going to put a gopro under the truck and do it so it can record the ground and the noise at the same time. I am interested what they find. My truck has 10000 miles on it and has had the oil changes twice at 5K each at the dealer.
@Joe Merchak, is yours the 6.4? I’ve posted an update on a different thread. Should have done it here. Before I made it to the engineer my truck broke down. I’m actually in the process of getting a new motor in my truck. I would keep up with taking it to the dealer. I only made it to 9k on the motor before it broke down. Dealer said there was a lot of carbon buildup in the motor, that’s why it was misfiring. That was after the lifter replacement. In total they’ve had my truck over 80 days. Hope you have better luck.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Sorry this has happened to you. If you are getting a new motor for it, then you should be good to go. I am really curious as to what would have grenaded a motor before 9k miles.....

RamConvert0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Hi There.

I have this same issue. But I want to know

- OP -

Does your Engine Sound like that with the doors and windows closed?

Mine is loud when I open the hood but it sounds fine inside the vehicle

OP
OP
Units

Units

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Bighorn
Engine
6.7l Cummins
Hi There.

I have this same issue. But I want to know

- OP -

Does your Engine Sound like that with the doors and windows closed?

Mine is loud when I open the hood but it sounds fine inside the vehicle
You can hear it inside, faintly, not so much from the top of the engine with the hood open but if you’re down around the bottom end it’s really prominent. I’ve had some people try to say the mic amplifies the sound, but the way you hear it in the video is exactly how it sounds. It may have made that noise when I bought it but I was inside the truck when I started it and didn’t notice it.

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
@Joe Merchak, is yours the 6.4? I’ve posted an update on a different thread. Should have done it here. Before I made it to the engineer my truck broke down. I’m actually in the process of getting a new motor in my truck. I would keep up with taking it to the dealer. I only made it to 9k on the motor before it broke down. Dealer said there was a lot of carbon buildup in the motor, that’s why it was misfiring. That was after the lifter replacement. In total they’ve had my truck over 80 days. Hope you have better luck.
Yea my truck is a 2022 6.4L. Its at the dealer now and it has 10843 miles on it. When at operating temp the engine is super quiet, only does it when cold and restart after running. I wonder if Ram has a issue with 2022 motors?

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Well Ram is going to pull the heads off and check the lifters. I dont think the noise is lifters but they said this is the first step.

OP
OP
Units

Units

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Bighorn
Engine
6.7l Cummins
Well Ram is going to pull the heads off and check the lifters. I dont think the noise is lifters but they said this is the first step.
They replaced lifters on mine, not the cam, but the noise just like yours was still there. As a matter of fact, after pulling my camper to TN and back the noise got worse. I made it a month and a half before it broke down. Stay vigilant, if you need any advice since I’ve been dealing with this same problem for the past 6 months just PM me, I’ll try to answer back in a timely manner.