2022 Battery / Start Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

truck4508

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have a 2022 1500 5.7L Etorque with about 3000 miles on it. We had some cold weather and it needed to be jump started. A day later it started fine and died while trying to restart at gas station.
Took it to the dealer and they said everything was fine. They tested battery and did a current leakage test. Few days later and dead again. I took a voltmeter and the battery was at 9volts. Had to call a tow truck and it would barely jump start it. Taking it back to the dealer tomorrow (if I can get it started). Any ideas appreciated.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Can't say anything for the problem with your truck but you wouldn't be the first person with a bad battery from the factory. The tester the dealer uses doesn't always detect a bad battery. If you get another NTF from the dealership, go-to a different one.

Greg The Vet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 1500 Limited Elite 4x4
Engine
5.7L Hemi eTorque
Anyone know what the amp draw is for a ram 1500 Limited 2021 e torque when vehicle completely turned off?

I am also experiencing a dead battery issue. Already had it replaced from factory as I had a dead cell. But with new battery, my vehicle had completely died on me and needed a jump after 1 week of no use. I’m confused why the battery would be drained. No lights on and no components plugged into vehicle. Only thought is if the etorque has some kind of draw/drain. I took a multimeter and checked the bridge between the negative clamp wire and the negative battery terminal with the positive clamp and terminal plugged in. Seemed to have a draw of 4.5-4.9 amps. Which seems like a lot to me. The battery itself was at 12.5v when checked at the time. If I plugged in my front dash cam into cigarette lighter I would get an amp draw of around 4.8-5.0amps. If anyone has some insight on this it would be greatly appreciated.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
4.5 - 4.9 amps is way too high. My 2016 2500 6.7 draws about 35 milliamps when sleeping. Id did experience the dead battery syndrome once. It turned out to be OBDLink I left plugged into the OBD socket. Make sure you nothing plugged into the OBD port.

With the ammeter connected, start pulling fuses until you find one that causes the reading to drop to a few dozen milliamps. Once you find the circuit causing the excessive draw, start checking all the components and wiring harness on that circuit.

DB Cooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETORQ
Anyone know what the amp draw is for a ram 1500 Limited 2021 e torque when vehicle completely turned off?

I am also experiencing a dead battery issue. Already had it replaced from factory as I had a dead cell. But with new battery, my vehicle had completely died on me and needed a jump after 1 week of no use. I’m confused why the battery would be drained. No lights on and no components plugged into vehicle. Only thought is if the etorque has some kind of draw/drain. I took a multimeter and checked the bridge between the negative clamp wire and the negative battery terminal with the positive clamp and terminal plugged in. Seemed to have a draw of 4.5-4.9 amps. Which seems like a lot to me. The battery itself was at 12.5v when checked at the time. If I plugged in my front dash cam into cigarette lighter I would get an amp draw of around 4.8-5.0amps. If anyone has some insight on this it would be greatly appreciated.
I agree, that seems like a huge draw while not running.

DB Cooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETORQ
4.5 - 4.9 amps is way too high. My 2016 2500 6.7 draws about 35 milliamps when sleeping. Id did experience the dead battery syndrome once. It turned out to be OBDLink I left plugged into the OBD socket. Make sure you nothing plugged into the OBD port.

With the ammeter connected, start pulling fuses until you find one that causes the reading to drop to a few dozen milliamps. Once you find the circuit causing the excessive draw, start checking all the components and wiring harness on that circuit.
@Greg The Vet ... if you do this, can you post an update. I'm waiting on my truck, and would like to know in case I have similar issues. As an aside, I ordered in 12/21, they said would be a 2022. I'm concerned I'll be planning for a 2023.

Greg The Vet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi eTorque
I will be reaching out to the Dealership on this since everything should be a warranty issue. I will try to update when I have it looked at. I figured it is way too high of a draw. Thank you DB & Chri5k

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will be reaching out to the Dealership on this since everything should be a warranty issue. I will try to update when I have it looked at. I figured it is way too high of a draw. Thank you DB & Chri5k
Monster parasitic draw, explains your dead battery. Yep, the security system and power to maintain clock is milliamps, not 4.5. U got something drinking juice for sure. Each dealership is different, and their mechanics and Service Manager, U might have to elevate or try another dealership if you get no satisfaction.

Try this tho: Get in truck, put to run (do not start), bring up battery voltage screen in evic, if below 12, U got problems, cause under 11.8 U start getting start issues. All IMHO.. It really at rest should read like 12.4,5,6, but there is so much electronics pulling stuff, hard to pin down.MY 19 with a 4 year old battery is reading 12 volts at rest and I am about ready to put a Duralast Platinum in the truck. IMHO, almost like every vehicle is slightly different depending upon Truck, age, battery status, how driven, how much extra stuff running (like seat heaters) and such. All suck the life out of a battery, especially if it is a EFB battery (flooded, not AGM).

Greg The Vet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi eTorque
Monster parasitic draw, explains your dead battery. Yep, the security system and power to maintain clock is milliamps, not 4.5. U got something drinking juice for sure. Each dealership is different, and their mechanics and Service Manager, U might have to elevate or try another dealership if you get no satisfaction.

Try this tho: Get in truck, put to run (do not start), bring up battery voltage screen in evic, if below 12, U got problems, cause under 11.8 U start getting start issues. All IMHO.. It really at rest should read like 12.4,5,6, but there is so much electronics pulling stuff, hard to pin down.MY 19 with a 4 year old battery is reading 12 volts at rest and I am about ready to put a Duralast Platinum in the truck. IMHO, almost like every vehicle is slightly different depending upon Truck, age, battery status, how driven, how much extra stuff running (like seat heaters) and such. All suck the life out of a battery, especially if it is a EFB battery (flooded, not AGM).
@Greg The Vet ... if you do this, can you post an update. I'm waiting on my truck, and would like to know in case I have similar issues. As an aside, I ordered in 12/21, they said would be a 2022. I'm concerned I'll be planning for a 2023.
Quick Update:
So Far, they found one parasitic draw on the Infotainment system, and have replaced the system. They are still noticing a drain on the battery after this fix. They still have it at the Dealership for testing over the weekend. Hoping I can get my Truck back home soon. Will try to post again when I know more. <<Frustrating>>

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
YUP, it is. Parasitic draws are a monster to track down. There are a lot of threads: Even to the point of PPL putting a meter on the battery, and literally pulling fuses one at a time to see if the draw stops. U can tell, cause a lot of systems pull milli amps, like memory, clock, but a draw may be pulling 4,5 amps, and U pull the fuse and the draw drops down to milli amps. U my want to search threads if U R interested.

DO NOT FORGET: U have (2) TIPM's (fuse boxes) in 1500 RAM. Under hood and under dash under steering column area.

Last edited:

Greg The Vet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi eTorque
Another Update:
So since the change of the Infotainment system, they have changed out the BCM and are now onto the Cluster. According to the dealer, the Fuse responsible goes to those three components. Not sure how accurate that is. At this time I am eager that this will be the final fix and I will get my truck back. Its been over a month dealing with all of this. Does anyone have experience in requesting the Manufacturer to compensate for the car note in the length of time for the repairs? I only have 5k on the odometer. Whole thing has been pretty frustrating.

Thewarden

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Did you ever get this issue resolved? I have a 2022 1500 E Torque and it has had a number of issue but the drained battery leaving me stranded twice now is getting old. Would love to know if you have had any success as they have replaced my dash cluster as it died and the main screen for the stereo has had many issues and is now completely dead after this latest battery problem. Thanks