2022 Camping season...preps...thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Today is a sad day. While our camping season ended last month, it's now official. I just winterized my trailer. I blew all the lines out and then pumped antifreeze through the system. It maybe a bit overkill to do both but it's better overkill than having a ruptured line come springtime.

The nice thing is next year starts out with a new truck. I'll have to check and probably adjust the wd set up and dial in the factory brake controller.

Heatheroo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Today is a sad day. While our camping season ended last month, it's now official. I just winterized my trailer. I blew all the lines out and then pumped antifreeze through the system. It maybe a bit overkill to do both but it's better overkill than having a ruptured line come springtime.

yep.........winterized last Saturday. I've been away for a couple days so tonight I haul the camper to storage, pull the battery and it's done until next year. Besides the usual
: remove food, bypass HW heater, drain and AF fill, I put a bunch of rodent repellent packs throughout the camper to deter the critters from taking up residence.

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
We don’t have to worry about winterizing in Florida but we did have to relocate from the Patrick SFB campground to the MacDill AFB campground in Tampa. Its good that we did, the Atlantic Coast got beat up pretty good with Hurricane Nicole. Gusty winds and rain but not too bad here. Hope all my fellow Floridians are staying safe.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Winterized our Camper a few weeks ago. Had a freak 30 degree night. 70 right now but this too is freakish weather. Be 32 tomorrow.
Iowa. I have literally turned off the Heat, to turn on the A/C, to turn on the Heat before Bedtime.

Sad thing, it's Common Occurrence.

Far as Camp grounds or sites, see if your State has a Sportsman's Atlas or some such.
Generally, they are a book of Platte Maps, for every county, which will show every road, creek, river, public park or other attraction accesible to the public.
listing the amenities at each location.
First got one, in my 20's, so I could find hidden Ponds for fishing. Drive around, looking at hills, check the map, see the watershed, Oh yeah, there will be pond up there, mark it, it the county assessor, get the name of land owner, go to his house, visit and get permission.

Few years later, married with kids, used to find out of the way, hidden Gems.

Remember one Holiday, fishing trip in southwest corner of the State, hitting different campground every day or so. as weekend approached, every campground filled to the max.

Got the book out and tried ot find and out of the way, no huge lake or scenic spot, hoping for a less densely packed experience.

We found a tiny little park, just 8 or 9 sites, huge 150 yr old hardwoods, 30 acre pond, filled with tons of fish and the prettiest little beach you can imagine.
My Girls were 6 & 8 , at the time, and could wade out 30 yards before the water got to their chests. Electric only, Nice little shower house, spotlessly clean.

We had the entire campground to ourselves.
Nearest town had a population of 300 or less, over 20 miles away.
Literally in the most sparsely populated area of our State and simply gorgeous.

Of course, I forgot to mark it in my Book and forgot where it's at.
Wife and I have been arguing about it for decades now.
Now, that I'm retired, thinking of grabbing the Boat, Camper, Satan's Sister and finding that place again.
I know the lakes we hit, that year, but there are quite a few tiny campgrounds in that area.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Its cold out there. And while I have no problem with winter camping, she absolutely hates the idea of having to bundle up and stumble to the heated bathrooms.
IMG_20221110_161749.jpg
This was March, 2022. 100' from the bathroom that's just out of frame to the back of the trailer. According to her, that's 100' of frozen bullsh!t!
IMG_20220312_181742.jpg