2022 CTD Injection System Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beltsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A (prior 2010,2019,2022)
Engine
Cummins
I had an engine warning lamp come on a couple days ago. Solid amber light, no other indications. Had no way to get it serviced immediately, and had to travel yesterday. Truck ran well, did not struggle, run hot, or sound off except for a slow tick at idle that can only be heard outside the cab. On the RAM owners app, it has a message:

EOBD/INJECTION SYSTEM FAILURE in normal conditions, by turning the key to MAR (driving position), the warning light turns on, but should go off once the engine is started. Traffic wardens are authorized to check that this warning light is in working order. Comply with the regulations in force in the country in which you are driving.

As I am traveling and pulling a 5th wheel, I have limited time and options. I have called the three closest dealerships to get the code looked at, but none can get me in before I have to leave this area. The date on the code matches the original occurrence of the lamp coming on, but I don't know if additional events, or an ongoing issue, would cause additional faults or change the stored date. My next best potential option is to take it to a non warranty shop to have it checked. My question to any experts - how critical is this issue? The lamp has stayed on, but is amber and not flashing. @RamCares: any options you can provide?

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hey there,

Thanks for tagging us! We'd love to hear more about what you've done to remedy this. Can you please send us a direct message?

Callie
Ram Cares

RENN914

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l
Same issue, any updates. My light went off after a couple days. I changed fuel filters and a day later it came back on.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Have the code read, most auto parts stores will do this for free. Or you can buy an OBDLink MX+ and be able to read the codes with your phone

mshram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO Diesel
I had an engine warning lamp come on a couple days ago. Solid amber light, no other indications. Had no way to get it serviced immediately, and had to travel yesterday. Truck ran well, did not struggle, run hot, or sound off except for a slow tick at idle that can only be heard outside the cab. On the RAM owners app, it has a message:

EOBD/INJECTION SYSTEM FAILURE in normal conditions, by turning the key to MAR (driving position), the warning light turns on, but should go off once the engine is started. Traffic wardens are authorized to check that this warning light is in working order. Comply with the regulations in force in the country in which you are driving.

As I am traveling and pulling a 5th wheel, I have limited time and options. I have called the three closest dealerships to get the code looked at, but none can get me in before I have to leave this area. The date on the code matches the original occurrence of the lamp coming on, but I don't know if additional events, or an ongoing issue, would cause additional faults or change the stored date. My next best potential option is to take it to a non warranty shop to have it checked. My question to any experts - how critical is this issue? The lamp has stayed on, but is amber and not flashing. @RamCares: any options you can provide?

mshram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO Diesel
I have a new 2022 3500 with HO, about 1900 miles on it, traveling through Atlanta pulling a fifth wheel and the truck started to fail, a lot was happening with the dash lights but my only focus was my curbside mirror to get to the side of the highway through a few lanes. Four hours later we finally got a tow for both the truck and the trailer, trailer went to a overnight RV spot about 60 miles away (thank you Good Sam), truck to a dealer which had to be re-towed in the morning to another dealer which worked on diesels. I heard my phone alert with the same error issue as it was happening. Engine light on, restarted truck, put it in drive, pressed the gas pedal and started roll backwards with trailer attached.

Waiting to hear from the dealer what is wrong while I am stranded in Georgia a few days before Christmas, I am concerned this may happen again after reading posts, if so the truck will be gone, can’t risk the danger it put us in or the inconvenience it is now causing. Anyone else have a similar issue.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD

mshram,​

This is the first 22 HO Cummins I have read about with fuel system problems, it could be something as simple as bad diesel or if its cold fuel that started to gel. I see above you got code number, it would be a very good idea to post the number as code numbers inform people what the problem is and or what related parts are involved.. BTW I have never heard of a traffic warden in GA that can check you for warning lights, do tell what a Traffic Warden is...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Beltsand

Beltsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I was able to get a dealer to read the code, and clear out the register a few days after I posted the original message. There was a single instance in the register that matched the date showing in the app. It has not reoccurred. Nothing was changed or adjusted.

Fuel35 67 commented on the fuel filters - those had just been changed about three weeks before the fault.

Best guess is a dirty injector - maybe something got by the filter while they were being changed? - and it self corrected in normal operation. Truck has been fault free since this event.

**Edit - I never did get the actual code number, just what showed up in the app.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I was able to get a dealer to read the code, and clear out the register a few days after I posted the original message. There was a single instance in the register that matched the date showing in the app. It has not reoccurred. Nothing was changed or adjusted.

Fuel35 67 commented on the fuel filters - those had just been changed about three weeks before the fault.

Best guess is a dirty injector - maybe something got by the filter while they were being changed? - and it self corrected in normal operation. Truck has been fault free since this event.

**Edit - I never did get the actual code number, just what showed up in the app.
Did you use aftermarket fuel filters or did you use OEM Mopar/Fleetguard fuel filters, to the best of my limited knowledge no aftermarket fuel filter meets the OEM Mopar/Fleetguard required 3 micron rating for the fuel filter under the hood...

OP
OP
Beltsand

Beltsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Did you use aftermarket fuel filters or did you use OEM Mopar/Fleetguard fuel filters, to the best of my limited knowledge no aftermarket fuel filter meets the OEM Mopar/Fleetguard required 3 micron rating for the fuel filter under the hood...
OEM filters

I was super lazy and had the stealership change them while they were replacing a faulty speed sensor under warranty.

mshram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO Diesel

Turns out it was 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear transmission failure. Not happy but at least they found something that makes sense with what happened. Waiting to hear this week on when they will expect a new transmission to arrive.

Pgray

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L
I have a 2022 3500 dually with 35000 miles on it 2 days ago check engine light came on and in my app gave me EOBD/INJECTION SYSTEM FAILURE. Lost power would not shift out of 1st gear. Limped home at 30mph!! Had it towed to dealership, they are telling me transmission is burnt up, going to have to replace it.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I have a 2022 3500 dually with 35000 miles on it 2 days ago check engine light came on and in my app gave me EOBD/INJECTION SYSTEM FAILURE. Lost power would not shift out of 1st gear. Limped home at 30mph!! Had it towed to dealership, they are telling me transmission is burnt up, going to have to replace it.

I would bet that drive home at 30 MPH is most likely why it needs to be replaced..