2022 Cummins U059F Code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flashman252

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I am brand new to Forum so take it easy. Also brand new to diesel world and so far have loved the truck. Just yesterday, through a check engine light and a U059F code. Looks like a nitrogen oxide sensor. Obviously truck is under warranty but not exactly happy this is happening with only having 9100 mi on the truck. I know the DEF systems on all diesels are choking down these motors of what they are fully capable of but within 10k miles? Really? It looks really easy to replace but for $800 for a new nitrogen oxide sensor, I will make the call the dealership and let them fix under warranty.

Anyone else having issues with these sensors in the 2022 models? Anyone thinking of already deleting theirs? I was going to wait until my warranty ran out before I thought about deleting the truck but if I am going to have this issue every 10k miles, might as well put the money towards a delete and the cost of not buying def will pay for the delete in about a year. Downside.... I cannot find a delete for a 2022 yet. Again, first diesel and I have buddies with 2020 models who just deleted their trucks after warranty mileage was surpassed and they are different animals now. Kind of new to the delete game and the route I should look if this is what I want to do.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
So far no one has been able to write a tune for the 2022 and few will try as the EPA just handed out a million dollar fine to one shop and a chance of jail time. As for the sensor going out we are all at the mercy of who ever makes it, if they cut corners making their product cheaply they hurt not only FCA but us too and they don't care...

OP
OP
F

flashman252

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well I made the appointment for this Friday. Truck is driving fine and my commute is 18 mi one way and mostly highway, so truck gets up to temp to and from work. Only worry I have is limp mode. I would think, from what I read, that the truck will let me know if it will go into limp mode and give me a 100 mile warning? Is this true?

And a million dollar fine for deleting a diesel??? Does this mean that deleting 2022 trucks may be a thing of the past? This isn't good for us thinking this would be an option in the near future. That changes my feelings a little about buying this truck and wish I had known that.

Hopefully just a faulty sensor from the manufacture and get it changed out and be on my happy way with a great vehicle. I'm not holding my breath though as most hate these exhaust cancer systems on their trucks.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
The fine was against the company making it possible. But then we just had that ruling come down from the supreme court that limited what the EPA can do so who really knows.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Truck is driving fine and my commute is 18 mi one way and mostly highway, so truck gets up to temp to and from work.
It's probably just getting up to temp in 18 miles, take it out on the freeway for a good half hour plus drive once or every other week. Some of the emissions processes don't start happening until the vehicle is close to operation temps.
Diesel emissions systems are fairly reliable now, you don't read about many on the forums, usually just about people fearing the worse.

OP
OP
F

flashman252

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well come winter, the truck will be driven a lot as I travel and hunt a ton. Usually I fish a ton in the summer or go camping but been getting a ton done on a new to me house. So play time has been very limited and strictly working. I have heard getting these trucks up to temp and maintaining higher temps is better for them. I figured I was doing ok with my commute to work but maybe not. Either way, I will get it fixed through warranty, cross my fingers no other issues arise with it, and I will ensure I get a good drive in every other week.

Main reason for getting a diesel is if Im not working, im usually at a lake, hunting fowl every weekend in the winter or taking the travel trailer up in the mountains when it gets super hot in the summer. Constantly have something hooked up to a truck.

Appreciate all the responses, thanks for having me on the forum. Will poke around here a little more and wait for that 2022 delete to come out in the next couple years. Surely someone will make something for these trucks. Overall, the truck has been a dream and even when I took it to oklahoma on a 26 hour round trip, it was just so comfortable to drive. Tows like a dream and if we could ever see truly reasonable prices on diesel again, it will be one of my dream trucks so far in life.

OP
OP
F

flashman252

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So took the truck in last friday, they were able to do the recalls on it but didn't have the sensor in to fix the CEL. They reset it and said it could come back, and it did this morning. They will have the part in tomorrow and I will have the truck back to them Friday to get it replaced. What didn't make me feel very good was they said this is a problem and that lots of 22's coming in for this sensor going out. I live where there is no emissions to register.... I had 4 mechanics tell me that I need to do what I was inquiring about because the DPF systems have been problems. These are the mechanics at the dealership telling me to do this on a truck with only 9200 mi on it. Took me by surprise. So I asked about warranty and basically was explained like this....

There are 3 warranties on these trucks. The DPF system is covered for 100k mi, the other two are like 36k mi and 60k mi. The only one that would be voided is the DPF system and only if they could determine if the tune caused the damage to the vehicle that went against the other two warranties. If they can't determine that, still under warranty. Made me really question if what I was being told was true or not. IF that is the case, I am going hunting for something outside of this area from a reputable source if you know what I mean. Anyone else have any info on what I was told?

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
No software available to delete DPF or to tune a 2022, fyi any added software can void your warranty, I would say unless you have deep pockets don't do it... BTW your truck has bumper to bumper warranty for 3/36 and your diesel engine has 5/100K warranty, I'm surprised the Mopar mechanic you talked to did not know what the warranty was for the Cummins, IMO a good reason not to listen to them...

OP
OP
F

flashman252

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Not gonna lie, it blew me away how many people, at the dealership, told me to just find a delete and do it. Even a random sales guy, because I started looking at jeeps on the lot (wife really wants one), asked what I drove and when I told him asked when I was going to delete it. I was like holy hell really?

Honestly my hope is I get the new sensor in this Friday, truck has no issues for 100k miles and this nasty thought of wanting to do this just fades away forever.

That would be the dream come true in this scenario

carlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Question: Which sensor is bad, I think I have 4?

Vehicle: 2016 Diesel 6.7 2500 73,100 miles

Problem Code: U059F(1/3) Stored
Implausible Data Received NOx Sensor Module "B"

Question: Which sensor is bad,?

Possible less expensive solution(maybe): Can you remove the sensor and soak it in concentrated injection cleaner(type you put in fuel tank) for 8 hours, spray with carburetor cleaner and reinsert?

SAF Shadow

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999/2015
Engine
5.9 cummins/6.7 cummins
I have the same code on my 2015 and it won’t let me clear it. Even after putting in a new sensor

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have had a 2014, 2018, and now a 2022 Ram with the cummins. I will admit I really dont drive mine all that much, as they are mainly used for hauling my fifth wheel RV. But the fact I push them hard when in use, towing something heavy, so far seems to agree with them. No CELs ever so far.

I think I will delete mine soon. I have a pair of wire cutters, a crescent wrench, and a large hammer handy. What could go wrong?

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I am brand new to Forum so take it easy. Also brand new to diesel world and so far have loved the truck. Just yesterday, through a check engine light and a U059F code. Looks like a nitrogen oxide sensor. Obviously truck is under warranty but not exactly happy this is happening with only having 9100 mi on the truck. I know the DEF systems on all diesels are choking down these motors of what they are fully capable of but within 10k miles? Really? It looks really easy to replace but for $800 for a new nitrogen oxide sensor, I will make the call the dealership and let them fix under warranty.

Anyone else having issues with these sensors in the 2022 models? Anyone thinking of already deleting theirs? I was going to wait until my warranty ran out before I thought about deleting the truck but if I am going to have this issue every 10k miles, might as well put the money towards a delete and the cost of not buying def will pay for the delete in about a year. Downside.... I cannot find a delete for a 2022 yet. Again, first diesel and I have buddies with 2020 models who just deleted their trucks after warranty mileage was surpassed and they are different animals now. Kind of new to the delete game and the route I should look if this is what I want to do.
You plan to use over 150 2.5 gallon jugs of DEF in a year ???

OP
OP
F

flashman252

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Question: Which sensor is bad, I think I have 4?

Vehicle: 2016 Diesel 6.7 2500 73,100 miles

Problem Code: U059F(1/3) Stored
Implausible Data Received NOx Sensor Module "B"

Question: Which sensor is bad,?

Possible less expensive solution(maybe): Can you remove the sensor and soak it in concentrated injection cleaner(type you put in fuel tank) for 8 hours, spray with carburetor cleaner and reinsert?
Don't frequent this forum too too often, so I am super sorry for the late response. Mine was throwing code on the sensor that screws into the top of the catalytic converter looking thing and then the wire harness goes up to the female end, I believe attached somewhere on the frame. Anyways, here is a youtube video of the sensor that was bad on my truck. Warranty fixed mine and I have not had any issues since.

OP
OP
F

flashman252

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You plan to use over 150 2.5 gallon jugs of DEF in a year ???
No chance I am using that much def lol. Seems I put 2.5 gal of def in my truck every 2000-3000 miles. So 3-4 jugs between changing the oil (7500 mi). Really not terrible considering I do 3 or 4 oil changes a year. So worst worst case scenario, I buy 16 jugs of def a year at $25/piece. This is only costing $400/year, still less expensive than a service cost at a dealership and TONS less expensive than a delete. The cost to delete a 2022 right now, I could pay for def for the next 12is years or more. So, waiting until warranty is out, not a big deal at all.