2022 Laramie GT Gear Limit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djmoore250

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just picked up a 2022 Laramie GT this past weekend. I had a 2018 Ram Sport with the 5.7 hemi and my 2022 has the 5.7 etorque (standard). My question is about the gear limit setting. On my 2018 I could hit the gear limit buttons on the steering wheel to select the maximum gear the transmission would use, this feature is useful for towing but I also understand that it disables MDS. The GT has the floor shifter and paddle shifters on the steering wheel but there are no buttons to select the gear limit. Does anyone know if the GTs have the gear limit feature or a way to disable MDS? My new truck has the tow package and I would think that the gear limit should be available.

Thanks in advance

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Just picked up a 2022 Laramie GT this past weekend. I had a 2018 Ram Sport with the 5.7 hemi and my 2022 has the 5.7 etorque (standard). My question is about the gear limit setting. On my 2018 I could hit the gear limit buttons on the steering wheel to select the maximum gear the transmission would use, this feature is useful for towing but I also understand that it disables MDS. The GT has the floor shifter and paddle shifters on the steering wheel but there are no buttons to select the gear limit. Does anyone know if the GTs have the gear limit feature or a way to disable MDS? My new truck has the tow package and I would think that the gear limit should be available.

Thanks in advance
Does it not go into manual if you push the console shifter left or right while it's in gear? My 2012 does but the newer ones may be different now.

OP
OP
D

djmoore250

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does it not go into manual if you push the console shifter left or right while it's in gear? My 2012 does but the newer ones may be different now.
If I move the console shifter to the left it puts it in manual mode, but I have to use the stick or the paddle shifters to change gears, it doesn't shift on its own. With the + and - button on the steering wheel of my 2018 I could hit the minus button and then the + button to set the maximum gear, the truck would not shift beyond the gear I set but the shifts happened automatically I did not have to manually change gears.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
If I move the console shifter to the left it puts it in manual mode, but I have to use the stick or the paddle shifters to change gears, it doesn't shift on its own. With the + and - button on the steering wheel of my 2018 I could hit the minus button and then the + button to set the maximum gear, the truck would not shift beyond the gear I set but the shifts happened automatically I did not have to manually change gears.
I don't have the paddle shifters but if I put mine in the drive and then push the shifter to the left for manual mode I can keep bumping the shifter left or right to get it in the highest gear I want and it will change automatically from a stop up to the gear I selected. Once again mine is a 2012 6 speed and they may have changed something I don't know about.

OP
OP
D

djmoore250

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tried putting it in manual mode and then up shifting to the desired gear but it won't go past 2nd gear

OP
OP
D

djmoore250

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for replying, I appreciate the feed back. I honestly think the feature is not available. The dealership had no clue (big surprise), I chatted with Ram on their website and they referred me to the Owner's manual, the owner's manual has no info. I called Ram's support line and they referred me back to the dealership.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I tried putting it in manual mode and then up shifting to the desired gear but it won't go past 2nd gear
Sounds like it's the same tiptronic set-up the cars use. If you want to manually control the gears,set it in manual mode,and use the paddles to upshift it.You'll have to get in the habit of upshifting it when it downshifts on hills though,as it won't upshift in manual mode once it downshifts,so once you crest a hill,and engine load decreases,you'll have manually upshift it,or else it'll stay in the gear it downshifted to. Not the best set-up,as i hate it in the wifes Challenger.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Sounds like it's the same tiptronic set-up the cars use. If you want to manually control the gears,set it in manual mode,and use the paddles to upshift it.You'll have to get in the habit of upshifting it when it downshifts on hills though,as it won't upshift in manual mode once it downshifts,so once you crest a hill,and engine load decreases,you'll have manually upshift it,or else it'll stay in the gear it downshifted to. Not the best set-up,as i hate it in the wifes Challenger.
I wouldn't like that either. Glad mine works the way it does. Seems like to much trouble to me.

OP
OP
D

djmoore250

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't tow often but when I do I'll try using the paddles, less than ideal but not the end of the world.

OP
OP
D

djmoore250

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't tow often but when I do I'll try using the paddle shifters, It'll take some getting used to but not the end of the world

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I don't tow often but when I do I'll try using the paddle shifters, It'll take some getting used to but not the end of the world
I've had paddle shifters on my 4th Gen with the 8 speed for going on 7 years,and use them constantly,once you get used to them,they're actually pretty easy to use.

gt8684

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Thanks in advance
I'm not 100% but I'm pretty sure when you press the tow/haul button it will turn off MDS, maybe someone else can double check me on that...

OP
OP
D

djmoore250

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not 100% but I'm pretty sure when you press the tow/haul button it will turn off MDS, maybe someone else can double check me on that...
I've been experimenting with that and I feel you might be on to something...

gt8684

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I drove home yesterday I put the truck in tow/haul mode, no trailer, and it did not turn on MDS and it also did not shut down at the red lights, but as soon as I turned tow/haul back off start/stop engaged again.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Yes it does.

OP
OP
D

djmoore250

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I drove home yesterday I put the truck in tow/haul mode, no trailer, and it did not turn on MDS and it also did not shut down at the red lights, but as soon as I turned tow/haul back off start/stop engaged again.
I had tow\haul on this morning on my way into work and MDS never came on. My truck has the start\stop button and it lights up when pressed but regardless of the button being pressed or not the engine never shuts off at stop lights. I'm not complaining about that, I don't want the feature.

bigblock_doc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
On my 2018 with a steering wheel shifter, you manually shift up as your driving to the gear you want to be in.
Then leave it there. It will show the gear selected and auto shift up and down as needed. Manually put in
1st and shift up as you are driving. Try that.