2022 Limited, Wireless Android Auto drops connection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Dougherty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ever since I had this 2022 Ram (and on my 2021 Ram), I cannot get Wireless Android Auto to work properly. If I connect at all, it will intermittently drop the connection. I lose Waze on the Uconnect screen as well as streaming audio. I noticed when it will not connect, I pull the wireless connections on my phone, the wireless signal is shown, when I click on it, it asks for a password. I click cancel that wireless signal is gone. I sincerely think the issue is with the trucks Wi-Fi. The issues seems to happen more frequently when going through mountains. I"m not sure why.
The issue happens on my Samsung Fold 3(ever since I got the phone last year) and my wife's Samsung S21.
I have been swapping messages with U-Connect and they have me do the usual things I've already done. I've reset my phone and the U-Connect, that it is getting frustrating.
Has anyone else experienced this? Thank you.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I used wireless AA this week. Not a huge fan of it, but decided I needed to force myself to use it more. I used it for a 3 hour each way trip, through some hilly Ozark Mt roads. I used Google Maps and iHeart Radio for music and podcasts. Also a little bit of texting and one phone call, both via voice command. No dropped connections, no problems at all. Wireless charging basically kept up, phone was at 98% charge at the end of the trip.

I may use it more, at least on long trips. A little bit of a pain since I use a VPN ad blocker which needs to be turned off to use AA.

Samsung S-22 Ultra, up to date. 22 12" uConnect5 system. I'm not sure what you mean about wifi. I don't use what wifi my truck may have come with, at least not knowingly. I assume any internet connection is through my phones data plan.

Last edited:

woojyee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I use my s23+ in 3 vehicles. 2022 Ram 1500 for wireless AA and Uconnect 5, a 2015 Focus with wireless AA via a Kenwood radio and wired AA in my wife's 2022 Durango. The only issue I have is, it occasionally will not sync back to the Ram unless I plug it in first to 'reestablish' the connection. I can't say I have noticed continued disconnects but I do have some trouble spots around town where I experience slow loading of songs.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Dougherty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From what I have seen, when using wireless Android Auto, the Ram sends out a wi-fi signal that my Fold 3 connects to. When it is not connecting, the Wi-Fi name is not shown. At times, it comes and goes on my phone. It seems the issue is the Ram Wi-Fi. There is a new head unit on order, but if that doesn't include he Wi-Fi module, I will likely have the same issue. When I connected a USB-C to USB(or USB-C), it works better, but will still drop off the Uconnect 12 inch screen. The screen will turn black (With wireless or data cable) and tell me I need to connect the phone to a cable. Thank you.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have used wireless AA now for some longish road trips. 14 hours straight through most recently. Never any drops of any kind. Getting to like it for long trips, but still not a fan for short trips around home.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Ever since I had this 2022 Ram (and on my 2021 Ram), I cannot get Wireless Android Auto to work properly. If I connect at all, it will intermittently drop the connection.
As I understand it, the "wireless" AA was first introduced for the 2022 MY along with the Uconnect 5 system. This was not available for the 2021 MY.

My first question is how could you have a dropped wireless AA connection on your 2021 RAM?

With the wireless connection on your 2022 Uconnect system, from your description, you are losing both AA and Bluetooth audio streaming. Wireless AA is by WiFi and your audio streaming is by Bluetooth. Loosing both at the same time sounds like it would be an issue with Uconnect.

I have a 2022 Uconnect 5 and a Samsung S21 Ultra, they play nice together. Every once in a while I will lose Waze, but it comes back within a minute or so. I do see a message that there was a wireless disconnect but because I'm driving I could not look at the screen for long to see what it all meant.

I'm wondering if your issues can be resolved by updates to either Uconnect or your phone, or both.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The connectivity issue can be unique to each vehicle. Causation of interference can be external such as microwave towers, somebody's powerful home radio, or many other things that one can't control. Internally, things like aftermarket electronics, and overly active garage door opener, other wireless devices, etc.

I would recommend trying a wired connection first for a length of time just to be sure it all can work without glitching. That will ensure it isn't the functional hardware.

Once you verify this, try to eliminate all the internal stuff such as computers, other cell phones, and any other electronics you might have added. Then drive the same route at a set time each day and see if the connection appears to crash at specific points repeatedly. That would pinpoint external factors. Try the same route at one or two other times for a few days to see if a business, etc. is firing up some device.

If you do this and can't repeat the condition consistently, then is either your transmitter or receiver and the easier thing to test is your phone. Borrow another Android device and repeat tests, if that fixes the glitch it's your phone. If problems persist, it is most likely your head unit.

Getting electronic problems resolved will take a lot of work. You might just find it easier to use corded connection if that does work well.

Good luck.

RichieW13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Android Auto will disconnect intermittently (intermittent electrical problems are the worst). Sometimes I can drive for hours without a disconnect. Sometimes it might disconnect every hour or two. Sometimes it might disconnect a few times per hour. There seems to be no pattern I can detect. It almost always re-connects pretty quickly. But it's still very annoying when I'm using the phone for audio listening. Though so far I have only ever tried one phone on it.

RedRAM21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I thought the wireless connections of both the Android and the iPhone were not working as well as they could.
I always plug in my iPhone 14, no problems, seems Apple Car Play is never going to work correctly.