2022 Pentastar eTorque V6 4x4 - Low gas milage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mregge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6 Pentastar eTorque
Hi all.
According to RAM, I should be getting 19 mpg city / 24 mpg highway.
I get an average of 16 to 17 mpg city and highway combined, and I do more highway miles than city miles.
I drive easy, highways at around 65 mph.
Is it normal to have such a high variation between what the manufacturer says and reality?

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Is it brand new with low miles on it? MPGs will increase to a degree after you put a few miles on it. Are you going by the dashboard or hand-calculating? I didn't notice any improvement until I was over a couple hundred miles.

OP
OP
M

mregge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6 Pentastar eTorque
It's got around 2000 miles. True, for the first 300-400 miles I was getting really terrible mileage. I go by the dashboard, will do a paper and pencil double check, though. Good idea!
But I'm getting much lower mpg hwy/city combined than I should be getting in town exclusively.

Fake-Account27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I have the penstar in my minivan and I did not start getting good mileage until 5000 miles, it got slightly better after 10,000 miles.

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I get 21-22 consistent. A brand new truck will take time to get its groove. Even new tires need miles to loosen up. I drive a lot of highway miles, so I do pay attention to MPG numbers. I added steps and a tonneau to this truck and kept the same 21-22... so I won't be adding anything else.

The EPA numbers are based on perfect standards and specific truck trim levels. All Terrain tires = lost 2 mpg. Bug guard / window rain guards = lost 1 mpg. Lift or simple level = There goes another 2 mpg. Cold air from fall and winter is dense and harder to push through = some loss.

I had a Gen 4... 21 mpg was normal. Put a level kit on it and then 19 was good. Put a set of All Terrain Firestone Destination tires and got 17. Put on a tonneau and settled at 18mpg.

Give it some time and see.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck has 707 miles on it and the mpg is around 13 or 14 avg according to the computer. It'll get better (I hope) . My last truck with the 3.92 rear got much better mpg. I'm hoping to see a slight improvement when I get my tonneau cover on it as well. That'll arrive tomorrow.