2022 Ram 1500, 2500.....Yawn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I still don’t think opening your driver side door up is necessary to back up but that’s just me.
This would require someone knowing how to use their sideview mirrors. It's almost frightful how many people don't know how, yet someone will be butthurt about that statement and claim they do.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I hate the column shifter on my 2500.
This is probably because I had manual vehicles most of my life, my diesel trucks were all manual also my 1/2 tons had the console shifters (my company did rent a few 1/2 tons on some short jobs for me to use that had the knob, I kind of liked it after I got use to it).
Column shifter also blocks the few of the 4X4 knob on the dash when in drive!!!

Yeah, I started with 3 on the tree in the old Plymouth Fury Wagon. But I got over it quick with the next vehicle - Pontiac LeMans 400 with THM 400.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This would require someone knowing how to use their sideview mirrors. It's almost frightful how many people don't know how, yet someone will be butthurt about that statement and claim they do.

I’m gonna be honest, I open my door sometimes but it’s not to back up; it’s to pull up on my garage ramps when it comes time to change the oil because I just simply can’t see the ramps with the door closed but at least when it comes time to back up my short utility trailer that jackknifes really easy, no opening of the driver door is necessary, and I don’t even have the tie mirrors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I’m gonna be honest, I open my door sometimes but it’s not to back up; it’s to pull up on my garage ramps when it comes time to change the oil because I just simply can’t see the ramps with the door closed but at least when it comes time to back up my short utility trailer that jackknifes really easy, no opening of the driver door is necessary, and I don’t even have the tie mirrors.
WUT??... My buddy used to do the same thing until I told him to park the vehicle about 2' back from where you want to work on it. Then push the ramps up to the front tires. Guaranteed to be on both ramps everytime! [emoji44] An old buddy taught me that trick, same one that showed me how to use sideview mirrors and eventually how to drink beer...lol

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
WUT??... My buddy used to do the same thing until I told him to park the vehicle about 2' back from where you want to work on it. Then push the ramps up to the front tires. Guaranteed to be on both ramps everytime! [emoji44] An old buddy taught me that trick, same one that showed me how to use sideview mirrors and eventually how to drink beer...lol

Oh I do, but I still like to make sure I’m driving up straight and watch for the point when the tire breaks over to the flat spot at the top of the ramps…..[emoji41]

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
ha ha ha... so we went on a family Vacation recently, only van was a 2013 van with no backup camera... wooohhhhh talk about having to remember all that again. At first it was a pain to back up without that camera screen. at 52 been driving a few years, but boy do we get use to new technology. my lady was laughing at me the first day cause i could not back into a spot in this mini van... lol didnt last long, i remembered mirrors quickly.

OP
OP
RLJ10X

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
NJ, I'm diggin that Hurst ball!

The Stick in the Wrangler is a B+M. It replaces the mushy feeling, rubber mounted wuss stick that is OEM. TheB+M Stick is solid mount, has a 3/8" threaded top. They said the B+M Stick being solid mount, may transfer more noise. But mine didn't. I love the good old Hurst T-handle. I had the same type Hurst T-handle in my beloved 88 Dakota (one of the greatest vehicles of all time btw)

Good to know there are so many real men out there that prefer manuals!

I too, am bummed at the Cummins transmission situation. I need a 2500 like I need a second ******; but damn! a Cummins 2500 would be cool. ATS is bolting an Allison behind the Cummins. And it supposedly works perfectly. So why not, Ram? Huh?

If you want to see the difference between an Allison and the Ram tranny go to the ATS site and watch their vid. I saw that, and said: No way am I going with the current factory ram tranny.

Last edited:

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
NJ, I'm diggin that Hurst ball!

The Stick in the Wrangler is a B+M. It replaces the mushy feeling, rubber mounted wuss stick that is OEM. TheB+M Stick is solid mount, has a 3/8" threaded top. They said the B+M Stick being solid mount, may transfer more noise. But mine didn't. I love the good old Hurst T-handle. I had the same type Hurst T-handle in my beloved 88 Dakota (one of the greatest vehicles of all time btw)

Good to know there are so many real men out there that prefer manuals!

I too, am bummed at the Cummins transmission situation. I need a 2500 like I need a second ******; but damn! a Cummins 2500 would be cool. ATS is bolting an Allison behind the Cummins. And it supposedly works perfectly. So why not, Ram? Huh?

If you want to see the difference between an Allison and the Ram tranny go to the ATS site and watch their vid. I saw that, and said: No way am I going with the current factory ram tranny.
I don't want an Allison 1000. Been there done that. Had one in an 04 Chevy and Lemon Lawed it. I learned a whole lot about the overrated 1000 in the year it spent in the shop. No thanks.

Ram was apparently looking at the new 9 speed Allison, which is a real Allison for medium duty trucks. The Aisin is plenty stout and reliable, just a bit of a clangin' and bangin' stumblebum in operation. The ZF Powerline looks pretty good, too.

Last edited:

Rabbit929

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETorque Hemi
I originally didn’t like the idea of the shift knob on my 2021 rebel, but I’ve grown to like it.

the extra center console space, that would be absolutely wasteful for a center console shift as the new 8spd has a different case, in order to make for no trans tunnel, wasted.

I drove most of play life with various manuals ranging from the 3 on the tree, to 6 on the floor and everything in between.
I still would love a manual, but I don’t mind the shift knob, and I feel that most that hate it are just having a tough time adapting to the new ways. I actually hate the electronic throttle on new trucks far more than the shift knob. Far more.

but I bought my 2021 rebel, put corsa exhaust on it and amp power steps, I don’t see a need for much improvement. I like it the way it is. Wouldn’t mind a lift but it pulls good now (I tow a lot for a 1500) and I don’t want to screw that up.
I avoid CAI’s that aren’t the overpriced Mopar ones as every k&n or “wet” or dry “hi flow” just dumps some filter action capacity for better flow, and I wind up having dirtier oil faster and a dirty throttle body every 3000 miles. So with this truck (as my first new truck) I’m not going to ruin it my putting an intake on it that increases airflow, but makes my engine dirtier.
This has been proven on the diesel forums what these aftermarket cai’s do to your engine.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not to change the subject too much but I’m actually considering getting rid of my Mopar cold air intake and just putting the original one back on but I do like the fact of not having to buy a new air filter every time it comes time to replace it so what’s a really good alternative to a paper filter that you can still reuse, or is it just better to just replace with a paper filter every time if I do decide to put my original airbox back on?

When I first got the truck, I put a K&N replacement air filter in mine but since I wanted the Mopar cold air intake, I got rid of the K&N. Besides, I’m not really wanting anything that I have to oil.

Baoluo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
this small change helps me feel a little better. It’s a solid heavy duty feel. So much better to me than the small plastic.
9134FB09-FFF1-4D6A-93EB-8E4228D100CD.jpeg

b-real

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If I am reading reports right, only the GT package gets the console shifter (along with the TRX), the other models will still have the dial.

kolya

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v-6
The last vehicle I thought about how it shifted was my 6 speed wrangler I sold last year.

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What used to really **** me off is swapping between my son's 2018 1500 and my 2017 2500 (column shifter). Nothing worse than driving his truck for a few days, then jumping into my 2500 and shifting it into 4 LOW going to park!! ??? LOL