2022 Ram 1500 3.6 eTorque Experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chrisjoi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 etorque
Hi everyone. I just purchased a new 2022 Ram 1500 with the 3.6 eTorque. I thought I would start a thread and update it frequently on my experiences with the truck. The eTorque is new to me. I have had a few Ram/Dodge trucks in the past and had some good and some bad experiences. I am hopeful this will be a good experience.

A little background on why I chose the truck I did. First, Ram fit and finish is, in my opinion, superior to any other light truck. Second and most importantly I purchased this truck for one purpose. To travel between my home in Enterprise Alabama and my son's home in Dallas Texas (Bedford to be exact). Thats around 1600 miles round trip and I will be making the trip at least once a month. I needed a good highway truck with good gas mileage and adequate power to keep up on those Texas roads where it seems 90mph is the norm. Occasionally I will haul lightweight furniture in the bed. No trailer pulling planned.

I just completed my first trip and here are my thoughts so far.

The truck rides and drives great. Feels very stable on the road even with the turbulence of big rigs and side winds from the weather. Power was more than adequate with the V6 to keep up with all traffic I encountered. There is a distinctive powerband in the mid gear ranges and moving from 60mph to 90mph during Interstate driving was no problem.

Gas mileage was a little disappointing but not unexpected. I averaged 21.3 mpg with mostly Interstate driving at 75mph or faster. Truck had 200 miles on odometer when I started trip and was a little over 1800 when I returned home so this was definitely during the break in period. I am hoping to squeeze a little more out of the mpg's when the engine gets fully broken in. I may also try Pedal Commander at some point.

I have been against the auto start/stop feature in cars since a Hyundai Hybrid we owned locked up the engine at 80,000 miles. I was convinced the constant start and stop was bad on the engine. After reading this forum and reviewing many videos and articles I think the eTorque may be ok for the start/stop function so I will be giving it a try in city driving. I did see a difference in gas mileage in town with the feature activated.

The transmission is not quite as smooth as I would expect but not bad. I am comparing it to a Ford E350 that I drive daily and my Chevy SS (5 speed). The Ford automatic transmission has always been smooth as butter to me and the Ram 8 speed seems a little more noticeable in shifts. I will keep an eye on this and update as I drive it more.

The eTorque system really fascinates me. The added power, the fuel savings, the comfort for starting and stopping. So far so good in my opinion. I am excited to see how it works out over time.

Overall a beautiful truck that drives well and does what I need it to do.

I have attached the window stickers so you can see how the truck came equipped. Prices are at a premium in my area that this truck also had an additional $1995 regional adjustment markup. I was able to get it for the non-adjusted price of $46,050 minus a $2500 rebate and minus a couple of other small adjustments. Not the deal I could have gotten a couple years ago but pretty normal for my area now.

I will add more as I learn more about the truck, engine and the eTorque system. IMG_20220125_125351205_HDR.jpgWindow Sticker 01.JPGWindow Sticker 02.JPG

johnts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a '14 Ram with the 3.6. The shifting in that truck was smooth in city driving. On the highway and going up hills at higher speeds it was very noticeable every time it shifted. Going up hills at 70+ that thing was turning 3 - 4 k rpms. Best I ever got was 23mpg on the flat interstates of Ohio. On the hills of I77 in VA and NC I got 19 - 20.
I used the PA lemon laws on that truck after '18 months for multiple reasons.
My '16 Ram with the Hemi shifts very smooth in all instances. Those same hills where I was turning 4000 rpm and a lot of shifting at 70, the Hemi only turns 2000 rpm's and rarely downshifts. I get the 19 to 20 with the Hemi on those same hills because it isn't working near as hard as the 3.6. Best I every get highway is 21.5 at 70. At that speed the engine is only turning 1500 rpm's.

Blackram2020

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi v8
Pretty truck. I have a 2020 5.7 with etorque and you definitely get a lot better gas mileage than me. Everyone seems to be shifting the way of the v6!

grubin648

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have had my laramie for over a year now. Etourque It’s the best. I handed in my 19 hemI which was also a great truck. I’m not towing as much any longer so the V 6is all I really needed. My towing consists of smaller classics. Fit and finish great. I got the automatic back up option. Works great but I don’t use it as I have to have control. My gas mileage is great Highway depending on conditions is constantly 27-30. Natura city is around 15
I will consider the all electric but at this time I’m keeping my 21. Highly recommended if you want a SUV for many uses

erik53

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a 2014 CC Bighorn 2x4 with the 3.6 3.55 (of course no eTorque). Two comments. 1. The 8-speed had rough downshifts at low speed. I was told it is going to adjust itself over time. It did become a smooth as butter, but it took 6000 miles. 2. At freeway speeds of around 75 I get 23 mpg round trip (flat ground or even round trip up/down mountains). However, mpg is a little worse if I use cruise control. It may seem to be a good idea to use cruise control if you want to determine gas mileage for a given speed, but the cruise control ends up keeping you in lower gear than optimal, at least with my drivetrain configuration. When you drive along at constant speed for a long time, you can ease up on the gas pedal to make it upshift and then continue at much better indicated fuel economy, all without losing any speed. Keep doing this over and over as needed for best fuel economy. The cruise control is content never doing this.

Lysergic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Tradesman 4x4
Engine
4.7L V8
To the OP - Nice looking truck. Since we're reporting mileage, my old 4.7L V8 is still getting 17-18 mpg in around town driving, and if I don't exceed 75 MPH on long trips and use cruise control, the best I've seen was 22.5 mpg.
Not too shabby for a 10 year old truck.

Nashveygus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice looking truck Chrisjoi! I too have the eTorque although mine is 5.7 hemi, 2021 Laramie. On a full 23 gallon tank with 87 octane from Nashville to Perdido Key last Saturday, we averaged 20.1mpg with about 420 miles on the tank until we had to fill up a few miles north of Perido Key. Truck was loaded with couple bikes, SUP and luggage to the beach for me and wife. I bet I would have gotten at least 27mpg or more with your 3.6. Enjoyed the drive down I-65 to the gulf from Nash without filling up! These 5th Gen Rams are the GOATS!

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Chris,
Your post caught my eye because I purchased my 2WD 3.6 Laramie for exactly the same use as you did. I refer to it as a my "touring vehicle".
Being a 2017 I do not have the e-torque or the shut down feature when stopping. On your fuel mileage I can tell you with certainty that speed has an impressive effect on your MPG. 25 MPG is not unusual for me if I am willing to keep the speed down. In fact if I can find secondary roads with lower speed limits and few towns with stop and go traffic 25 MPG is the norm. On the major highways when I drive 75 + is when the MPG drops to 22.
I have on several occasions driven over 700 miles on a tank of fuel. However, I do have the extra capacity fuel tank. So far it has been a great truck and performed exactly as I was hoping it would.
Enjoy your new purchase.

Threesuns1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On my trips to the flat Eastern Shore of Maryland I consistently get 23.6 mpg. My overall mpg for almost 11,000 miles is 20.8. I've found keeping it around 55-58 gives me the best mpgs, and when using cruise control if it starts shifting between 7th and 8th gear, I lock it out of 8th for better fuel mileage. This a 4x4 CC with a 220lb cap. (See signature) I was hoping for better but overall happy with the fuel mileage.