2022 Ram 1500 Rear Bumper Damage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
OP,
I know how you feel!
my 21 1500 is COMPLETELY unmarked (or rather was!)
My friend and neighbour needed to pick up a new snowblower, could i help? The shop loaded it in with a very clever mobile ramp thingy, we strapped it down and off we went. When we got back to his house, he went to find his ramps to get it out of bed. I went to use little boys room inside.
I came out to find the snow blower out, on its side (damaged, but repairable) where he had not secured the ramps to the bed and they slipped on the ice???????
fell down on my bumper, scrapes on top and sides of it.........what could i say? he had scratched my lovely truck, but seriously dented his brand new blower!!!!!!!

***** HAPPENS, EH? Touch up is good for now till winter over

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OP, see if you have a local or even internet source for something like this. Do not trust duplicolor. This paint +wet sand + polish is a perfect match and applies great.
The steel bumpers are fairly thin nowadays. Before I’d pay to replace or repair, you can attempt to pound it out a little, sand or even do some bondo and paint. Or just sand it and paint it and live with the dent.
Im betting a body shop just replaces the bumper then paints it.

Attachments

• 11483408-C0A2-4109-879B-0BAF6C28642C.jpeg
    11483408-C0A2-4109-879B-0BAF6C28642C.jpeg
    156.7 KB · Views: 2

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
The chrome bumpers on these trucks are thin steel you can pound it out easily but it will probably screw up the chrome a rounded wooden dishing stump and some body hammers for the dent not sure how you would fix the chrome

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The chrome bumpers on these trucks are thin steel you can pound it out easily but it will probably screw up the chrome a rounded wooden dishing stump and some body hammers for the dent not sure how you would fix the chrome
I think his bumper is body color…Looks that way from the pic to me at least.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I just relooked at the ops post that bumper is painted pound out the dent and repaint

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a couple very slight dings in my front chrome bumper from punting deer, probably only I notice them…Thought about swapping to a sport bumper, but I would need a bull bar or something…
The last scratch I got was from a flippin Sheets pump handle…stupid rubber covered plate on top. Ripped it off and left it for dead in front of the pump. Touch up paint and polish, but it infuriated me. I took vengeance on every Sheetz pump I visited afterward.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
As far as my 2009 Ram that the Olive Tree came in contact with
I replaced the tailgate for about $400, used the tailgate innards & bolts ons in the new tailgate.

Now about the Olive Tree, when i moved into this apartment building, the tree had 1 more limb, the building contractor built the sidewalk & left the limb blocking the walkway.
When new owners bought the property, i asked if i could cut that particular limb off & they agreed.
They did not want the other limb touched.

Not long before i moved into this building, the city widened the road & took about 15 feet of my side of the road out front. That moved the side walk back & the city added a 3 foot "parkway", between the road & sidewalk.

Now there is 10 feet between the building & the sidewalk, some Department of the City of course looked at it & said, from now on, no one can block any part of the sidewalk.
Not many cars are less than 10 feet long & parking enforcement hardly ever comes out this far from the center of town, but when they do, there are 5 apartment buildings on this side of the street that get ticketed for blocking the sidewalk.
So i cemented the area where my rear wheels are & i park sideways.

My neighbors have been nice & they park their vehicles off centered in their parking spot, my new neighbor's Ram takes up his whole parking area :(

Notice the joint in the cement about a foot to the left of my truck, that joint is where the edge of the sidewalk begins

Ycgyjl.jpg
the cement joint under my rear bumper, is the edge of the walk way into the apartments

d0D7i1.jpg

Last edited:

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
OP,
I know how you feel!
my 21 1500 is COMPLETELY unmarked (or rather was!)
My friend and neighbour needed to pick up a new snowblower, could i help? The shop loaded it in with a very clever mobile ramp thingy, we strapped it down and off we went. When we got back to his house, he went to find his ramps to get it out of bed. I went to use little boys room inside.
I came out to find the snow blower out, on its side (damaged, but repairable) where he had not secured the ramps to the bed and they slipped on the ice???????
fell down on my bumper, scrapes on top and sides of it.........what could i say? he had scratched my lovely truck, but seriously dented his brand new blower!!!!!!!

***** HAPPENS, EH? Touch up is good for now till winter over

My wife did something like that.

She purchased a little troy-bilt 42 riding lawnmower as present. At the time I was driving F150 work truck.
Store put on for her. When she got home, she used ramps from our ATV's. But she didn't secure them. Just put in neutral and push it as hard as she could off the back of the truck.

Woke up me, and said present is outside. I go and see the lawnmower upside down, and tail gate of the truck damage. Used bungee cords to hold it closed.
Seat was broke, steering wheel, front hood. bought all new parts and it looks new :)

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I just picked up new paint matched bumpers off ebay for less than $1k for both front and rear (converting from chrome). They factory match and offer a 10 year warranty on the paint. I saw them for 5th gens as well. The rear bumper I got I opted for a complete bumper so it included all the plastics and bracing pre-installed (even the license plate lights installed) and a bag of a few bolts to complete the mounting to the truck. Arrived in a big box using a freight company (all setup by ebay and included in the cost). I have both bumpers (received the front on Friday) and besides one very small blemish on the front bumper they are very nice. The follow factory paint codes and methods (2-3 coats of base and 2 coats clear) and looks like it will be a easy clean install for the rear at least.

You will never get that steel bumper perfect, a shop might try to bang it out a bit but will bondo for sure and repaint. Just get a new steel bumper and be done with it.

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
It's a little scratch on a pickup truck. Wear it with pride. I smashed 3 of those tin foil bumpers in my 17, finally bought a Ranch Hand bumper. Problem solved m

Big Jims 1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Aft I was rear ended in my 17 2500 Laramie CC CTD I bought a rear bumper that included new brackets and color matched paint. $700 delivered to my house. The Pearl White was a perfect match.
I also put a scratch in the side of the box of my current 21. Used a Mopar paint pen and it’s no longer an eye sore.

LOFSFIRE

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 CC Sport Copperhead Pearl & 2011 1500 CC Sport Black
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/ 8 speed ~ 5.7 Hemi w/ 6 speed
Check Craigslist, Facebook marketplace, etc for New take offs. Someone has changed to an aftermarket bumper or there are many place that swap the entire bed out. Being a 5th Gen your odds of finding one should be good. Might even get lucky and find your color. You will probably find a bumper for $200-$300. Changing one out only takes about 30 mins.

I was lucky enough to find painted to match OEM fender flares for both of my RAMs. The set for my 2013 were new take offs back in 2013. And I just picked up my 2011 for my son back in September. I was lucky I found a guy that had them sitting and never put them on his truck.

Figure out what search terms, find the most results and save the search and check it daily. Eventual something will pop up. It small and it's not stopping you from using the truck.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
It's a little scratch on a pickup truck. Wear it with pride. I smashed 3 of those tin foil bumpers in my 17, finally bought a Ranch Hand bumper. Problem solved m
You made the right choice. If you are going to use your bumper as an actual bumper then aftermarket is the only option. Long gone are the days when you could put a Jackall on the corner of the bumper and jack the truck up. Modern bumpers are a trim item, like paint. They are not made to be bumped in any way.

PoconoJoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is the OP's bumper painted or chrome?
It's hard to tell from the picture.

My daughter's Ram being an Express, has painted bumpers. What a pain. It is very costly to get them repaired by a body shop.

I think chrome is much better in that regard. If you have damage, just buy a whole new chrome bumper and swap it out yourself. No need for the added expense of having a body shop get involved for matching the paint, etc.

kollie01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L V8
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I put a dent in the front bumper on day 2 while parking at a convivence store. I swallowed my pride and got it fixed. Only needed to replace the chrome, but it was still $1200.00

JimmyC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a dent in my white 2020 Limited bumper. Called my buddy who does professional paintless dent removal for several local dealerships. He couldn’t get it out but had a contact that specializes in fixing bumper dents at the same dealers he services. The guy put filler in the dent, sanded, sprayed and blended the paint. Took him about an hour and cost me $100 bucks. Looks like new.