2022 Ram 2500/3500 Design

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thebuilderman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I really want RAM to update the crew cab to the 1500 design. I need the full rear bench and flat floor. I have been searching on this very subject, it is sounding like the 2023 model year for that.
I’ve seen a bunch of stuff on this. The rumor was in ‘22 they were gonna do the new tranny. That would be smart and FCA/Stellantis is anything but smart. So that’s still a rumor. What is now touted as a truism not rumor is the true gen 5 cab (same is the 1500) will be out in ‘23. Just a guess is that may still have had to be modified from the 1500 due to tranny and driveshaft differences? Just a guess.
my other guess is they’ll do maybe the true gen 5 cab in ‘23 and the tranny in ‘24. I know the Allison 9 speed will work as will the ZF Powerline or whatever it’s called will work.
I really want both. Waited for the ‘22 and FCA failed me, again! So either I’ll short term one now and get a new one in ‘25 or wait them out.

thebuilderman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I came from a 2019 F450 to a 2021 3500 HO Mega Cab DRW. I have two complaints with the RAM interiors. It feels like you sit really high in the seats and the steering wheel doesn’t telescope. If you were able to sit in the drivers seat even 1 inch lower (and I have mine all the way down) you would gain knee room due to how the dash it designed.

Also, the driver would feel like they had more leg room if you could telescope the steering wheel which allow for the seat position to be a bit further back. Near I can tell both cabs have the same amount of room. If you look under the hood of the RAM VS the Fords, the Ford engine bay is very packed. This might be where they are squeezing out a couple more inches in the cab compartment.

Regarding the rear not being 100% flat, I just don’t see the big deal. Yes the Fords are flat. Yes the RAM has a little hump. It’s just not that big of a deal for me to look at one VS the other. One could argue that the little hump that is there in the RAM keeps stuff from rolling all over the place, but that is a stretch.

I will say this, to me it feels as if the Cummins has constant power to the pedal. I did not get that feeling with my 6.7 2017 PowerStroke or with my 2019 PowerStroke. My 2017 PowerStroke was an F350 SRW and the F450 was a DRW. (obviously)
I think the engine compartment is more packed in the Ford cuz it’s a V8 and the Cummins is a 6. I don’t know though. Also I think the tranny hump in the Ram is due to the massive drive shaft and how the tranny sits.
Thats just an observation. I’m not a mechanic nor a gear head. I’m just a forever Cummins driving dude.

thebuilderman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
New member around here. Thanks for the update. That's a long time to wait.

Thought another token tall dude should pipe up. Hah. Being 6'6" I can tell you all the 2021 ram 3500 is much smaller (less leg room) in the back seat.

But the 1500 has way more leg room. Havin a family it makes sense, gives the kiddos in the back seat actual leg room (behind their giant father).

Dodge, I wonder if they are listening?

...glad I found this forum. Looks alright. Thanks!
Dodge, listen to customers, not in a million years! Don’t get me wrong, I’ve only owned 4 Chrysler vehicles, 3 trucks and a jeep. As long as they do a Cummins I’ll be coming back, we’ll that and I’m anti Ford and not a huge fan of GM either, LOL! But I’ve been waiting for FCA and now Stellantis/FCA to grow a brain for a long time. Ain’t gonna happen. They still make a great truck.