2022 Ram 2500/3500 Design

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

LOL....I miss the regular cabs too (or the lack of a 5th gen one I should say). Seems like some of the other brands have just stopped making them completely so I guess we should just be happy there is still hope.

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Please bring very long extension cords with you so you can plug them in when the batteries run down... And pay attention to the guy above me who sleeps in the cab of his truck so he will be buying a FIRD.... LOL OMG the idiocy of the world.....

Last edited by a moderator:

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Um what? I'm the person above you and didn't say anything about any of what you said.

I also didn't notice anyone else in this thread talking about electric vehicles or politics. No one was talking about politics for good reason, it has no place here. There are certainly plenty of political forums for that kind of "discussion", but this isn't one of them.

Electric vehicles could have some relevance on this forum, but again, I didn't see anyone else here talking about that.

Last edited by a moderator:

wifi_guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 I6 Cummins HO Turbo Diesel
Most who are replying saying how big the ram HD is have not been inside a superduty. I have a 2017 ram mega cab and comparing to f350 it feels like 1/2 ton:
2 inches shorter in most dimensions and 4" less front legroom, the floors in the RAM in front are not flat, much much less room for your feet. Guessing people under 6 feet tall think ram is big, but its not even close.
For this single reason I am likely ordering new Ford unless RAM changes the cab. I see lots of chatter about transmissions, interiors, prices, colors, towing, powerstroke vs cummins but the CAB size is a bigger deal than any of those items for me at 6'5".

I came from a 2019 F450 to a 2021 3500 HO Mega Cab DRW. I have two complaints with the RAM interiors. It feels like you sit really high in the seats and the steering wheel doesn’t telescope. If you were able to sit in the drivers seat even 1 inch lower (and I have mine all the way down) you would gain knee room due to how the dash it designed.

Also, the driver would feel like they had more leg room if you could telescope the steering wheel which allow for the seat position to be a bit further back. Near I can tell both cabs have the same amount of room. If you look under the hood of the RAM VS the Fords, the Ford engine bay is very packed. This might be where they are squeezing out a couple more inches in the cab compartment.

Regarding the rear not being 100% flat, I just don’t see the big deal. Yes the Fords are flat. Yes the RAM has a little hump. It’s just not that big of a deal for me to look at one VS the other. One could argue that the little hump that is there in the RAM keeps stuff from rolling all over the place, but that is a stretch.

I will say this, to me it feels as if the Cummins has constant power to the pedal. I did not get that feeling with my 6.7 2017 PowerStroke or with my 2019 PowerStroke. My 2017 PowerStroke was an F350 SRW and the F450 was a DRW. (obviously)

Jim Jenkins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
I just ordered a 21 3500 DRW Longhorn. It sounds like it will be near the end of the Mexician made HD's, before they bring production back to the states. I expect delivery in late August. I was told it could be Q1 2022 or later before we see any 2022's from the new plant.

I test drove both Ford and Ram, and we just bought 2 new Ford F-550's at work. The powerstroke just feels odd to me, wear the Cummins is like slipping on a comfortable shoe. I think it is basically what you are used to maybe.

I have looked at a buddy's new F-350 DRW, and the backseats have more room for sure. As to the front seat, leg room, etc. I think it may depend on your size. I am only 5' 9", and shrinking as I age. I have no issues with the seats, but I can see where someone over 6' could have issues.

Scotts26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just ordered a 21 3500 DRW Longhorn. It sounds like it will be near the end of the Mexician made HD's, before they bring production back to the states. I expect delivery in late August. I was told it could be Q1 2022 or later before we see any 2022's from the new plant.

I test drove both Ford and Ram, and we just bought 2 new Ford F-550's at work. The powerstroke just feels odd to me, wear the Cummins is like slipping on a comfortable shoe. I think it is basically what you are used to maybe.

I have looked at a buddy's new F-350 DRW, and the backseats have more room for sure. As to the front seat, leg room, etc. I think it may depend on your size. I am only 5' 9", and shrinking as I age. I have no issues with the seats, but I can see where someone over 6' could have issues.

Last I heard Ram canceled plans to bring HD truck production back to the states...

tex68w

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I have owned four 6.7L Super Duty's, a 2011, 2012, 2016 and 2017. I can honestly say that I prefer the cabin of the Ford to the RAM. The back seat being able to fold flat is a huge advantage for us with three large dogs that ride along from time to time. The RAM shelf is a dated design and I hope that they ditch that setup in the next generation of HD cabs.

Forward view of the Ford is superior IMHO as well, the Ford has more head room and the windshield isn't as slanted as it is on the RAM. The Ford hood also slopes downward as it approaches the grille which helps with forward visibility. I don't think that there is necessarily a smaller engine compartment in comparison like mentioned above, the Ford simply has a larger V8 to stuff in there where the RAM has the smaller straight six to hide.

My current daily is a RAM 3500 CTD RCLB and even though I still prefer the cab of the Ford I must say that I am thoroughly enjoying the 6.7L CTD. The Cummins feels like a true diesel IMHO and I look forward to many years of hopefully happy ownership. I'd like a 1.25-ton next and whether or not that ends up being a Ford or RAM remains to be seen. Hopefully both makes have their redesigns out by the time I am ready to make that move.

Aelwulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Last I heard Ram canceled plans to bring HD truck production back to the states...

I was told by my salesperson a couple of days ago (casually, I had already ordered) that the only truck/van still made in Mexico is the Pro van. All the Rams are made in Michigan. Now, it's a salesperson so grain of salt, but he seemed to have the list of different plants down pretty well to my limited knowledge. I just knew my old '99 Magnum was built in Mexico and thought they still were.

Edit: Checked my window sticker on the Ram Owner site. Reinforces the adage about not trusting sales folks about the technical side. It was built in Mexico.

Last edited:

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I was told by my salesperson a couple of days ago (casually, I had already ordered) that the only truck/van still made in Mexico is the Pro van. All the Rams are made in Michigan. Now, it's a salesperson so grain of salt, but he seemed to have the list of different plants down pretty well to my limited knowledge. I just knew my old '99 Magnum was built in Mexico and thought they still were.

My 2021 2500 was built in Mexico. After the new tax code went into effect Ram said they were moving their HD factory back to the USA. Don't know if that will happen now.

cms1528

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dealer tells me the new cab will be coming in 2023 for the HD trucks.

PWonly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Maybe we'll get a full-length sunroof with the new cab.

Jack2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Dealer tells me the new cab will be coming in 2023 for the HD trucks.

New member around here. Thanks for the update. That's a long time to wait.

Thought another token tall dude should pipe up. Hah. Being 6'6" I can tell you all the 2021 ram 3500 is much smaller (less leg room) in the back seat.

But the 1500 has way more leg room. Havin a family it makes sense, gives the kiddos in the back seat actual leg room (behind their giant father).

Dodge, I wonder if they are listening?

...glad I found this forum. Looks alright. Thanks!

cms1528

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The gen five 1500's actually have about 8 cubic feet more room in the cab then the current 2500 and 3500, goofy. If I were a betting man I would say that maybe the mega-cab will be the standard 2500/3500 cab with a wider back door. That way they will be able to fit the gen five interior in the vehicle better, currently they are putting gen five interiors inside a gen four cab.

MoparProud

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Most of the 2018 and older HD’s were regular, quad or mega-cab variants. The 2019 and later HD’s are all regular, crew and mega-cab variants. I don’t foresee a cab redesign without a frame redesign that occurred last year.

2024 may be overly optimistic for a cab redesign.
This is incorrect.

The ‘19-‘21 cab is the EXACT SAME CAB as ‘10-‘18. Regular, crew, mega

MoparProud

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a 2011 with quad cab so it wasn’t 2009. Not sure of the year they did away with it but it wasn’t 09.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not in a 2500 or larger truck you didn’t. 1500 still had quad cab

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You are correct. I replied to that incorrectly before I realized it was for hd trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD

Edit: Checked my window sticker on the Ram Owner site. Reinforces the adage about not trusting sales folks about the technical side. It was built in Mexico.
This infuriates me! No matter what dealership I go to, I always know more about the vehicle I am getting ready to purchase, than they do. You would think they would have to learn the basic specs of a new vehicle that comes out.

67 StingrayJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Most who are replying saying how big the ram HD is have not been inside a superduty. I have a 2017 ram mega cab and comparing to f350 it feels like 1/2 ton:
2 inches shorter in most dimensions and 4" less front legroom, the floors in the RAM in front are not flat, much much less room for your feet. Guessing people under 6 feet tall think ram is big, but its not even close.
For this single reason I am likely ordering new Ford unless RAM changes the cab. I see lots of chatter about transmissions, interiors, prices, colors, towing, powerstroke vs cummins but the CAB size is a bigger deal than any of those items for me at 6'5".

This guy gets it! :cheers:

Aelwulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
This infuriates me! No matter what dealership I go to, I always know more about the vehicle I am getting ready to purchase, than they do. You would think they would have to learn the basic specs of a new vehicle that comes out.

Yeah, agreed on that. When it comes to specs or straight comparisons to other brands they don't seem to know the details and I often have to explain it to them. Where they're built should be basic info though.