2022 RAM 2500 - 6.4L Hemi - cracked exhaust manifold bolts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meeps51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Out at Death Valley NP towing our Airstream. After going over a pretty rough few miles of dirt road (washboard/lots of ruts) yesterday, we noticed the engine sounded pretty rough and the check engine light came on. After getting out - it definitely sounds like an exhaust manifold bolt sheared on the driver’s side (passenger’s is not too noisy) - see attached. I think it Q uiets down a little bit after you get going (warms up)/are cruising along - but when you push the gas a bit (uphill), it get’s pretty noisy agains. Engine does stutter/act a little weird when coasting downhill - assume the o2 sensors are just confused. Good deal of exhaust (probably passenger side) still coming out the tailpipe.

Truck has about 4200 miles, but did have the catalytic converters stolen (or attempted) and had the full exhaust system replaced in March 2022. With the hood popped, you can smell a bit of the exhaust on the driver’s side

Could use help understanding:
- Does the video linked below sound/seem like an exhaust manifold that is leaking due to bolt issues?
- If so, we’re about 250 miles from home, safe to town the Airstream back vs. having RAM town both to Parump (further from home - will be at least 2 weeks before anyone will look at the truck)?
- Any other advice if we decide to head home with it in this state?

Appreciate any thoughts, thanks in advance! Video here:

And:

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
sounds just like it should. My 2020 has sounded like that from day one I got with 8 miles on it. I complained then started every 6.4 on the lot and all sounded the same way. I have had people tell me theirs does not sound like that but when they start them they sound the same way.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
IMHO - that doesn't sound normal to me. I'd stop at a local shop and at least have someone take a look, even if they charge to do so. Also, most auto parts stores will also scan your check engine light for free. I'd have both done before I decided my next steps.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sounds like you blew an exhaust gasket out to my ears, as jawz recommends stop at a local shop and have them give a live opinion.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I think you have some good advice above, I might be inclined to seek an independent shop and then demand reimbursement from FCA. It’s gotten completely out of hand with dealers failing to take care of broken down travelers in a timely basis. I’ve read too many similar accounts, and not just about RAM.

Having long lead times for manufacturing is one thing. Long queues for urgent repair is another. Business everywhere has gotten lax and believe they can blame Rona for everything negative that happens, for all eternity.

It’s just screwing customers by being cheap and under-resourced while making record profits is what it is.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Definitely not normal.... my 6.4 sounds nothing like that. Also, OP's post implies something has changed.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Something is definitely not right. The 1st video sounds like it may have a miss or something. Both videos sound like it has an exhaust leak on top of that.

OP
OP
M

Meeps51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
To close the loop - stopped by RAM Service in Victorville. They were super nice, immediately checked it out in the service center driveway and debugged it. The bolts where the pre-car exhaust pipes connect to the manifold were loose - a few clicks of his impact and the noise was gone and truck awesome again. Dean, the service advisor, did this himself and was super kind and quick. Can’t thank them enough.

Merry XMas!

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good stuff

Hm710

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Very interesting! I have the same issue and sounds like driver side exhaust manifold but not really. I've tried to pinpoint it and the heat shield is not loose and don't feel anything from the connections. Everyone that hears the truck says is sounds great, what mods did I do?
I'll check the connections and see if I can hit them with my 3/8 impact. I called the dealer to see if it was covered under power train and they said not on my truck because of a previous issue. Must have been the hit in the front from PO.
If it is a manifold gasket I'll swap them out for shorty headers.
H