2022 Ram 2500 Loose Steering?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Mine handles fine, and the tires do ok in my opinion but I'm not an off road guy.
My tires were over 80 psi from the dealer, now there are 62-65 all around and do fine, when empty or towing the TT.
It steers more like an old time pickup, not like a car like the 1500 does.
That's how I would explain it.

OP
OP
A

Aking21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Mine handles fine, and the tires do ok in my opinion but I'm not an off road guy.
My tires were over 80 psi from the dealer, now there are 62-65 all around and do fine, when empty or towing the TT.
It steers more like an old time pickup, not like a car like the 1500 does.
That's how I would explain it.
that is about exactly what it felt like - an old time pickup. I also lowered by tires down to the same range and it did seem better this morning on the way to work. I really think its just something I will get used to. When I take it back for the first oil change, I will at least have them check it out.

BigLazer4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I just picked up my 2022 this week as well and it drives like a 2500 with Firestone road tires that are over inflated! Lol. That’s the only way I know how to describe it. My 2019 power wagon with the toyo MTs drove so much better, I guarantee once you guys switch to a new tire and lower the tire pressure you will be good to go. I’m planning on making the switch to a all terrain this time, most likely a toyo AT.

As far as the vehicle itself, wow.. they really hit it out the park with this 2022. I love this Cummins and I will never go back to the 6.4. I am getting 21 miles to gallon on the highway. Crazy compared to the 9 miles to gallon I was getting with the power wagon.

OP
OP
A

Aking21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Your truck looks great. I went with the 6.4 as I can not justify the 6.7 for my needs.

So, it sounds like junk tires keep being brought up from actual experiences. Are you guys able to get them traded in for some credit if swapping early or are you running the stock tires out and then swapping? Or just biting the bullet and buying new ones no matter what

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Your truck looks great. I went with the 6.4 as I can not justify the 6.7 for my needs.

So, it sounds like junk tires keep being brought up from actual experiences. Are you guys able to get them traded in for some credit if swapping early or are you running the stock tires out and then swapping? Or just biting the bullet and buying new ones no matter what
I'll get something different when the Firestones wear out. Like I said they do ok for me, since I'm in Florida and don't see snow and my only off roading is in the campgrounds.

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I’ve seen a lot of negative comments on Firestones since I joined this forum. My 2500 came with Firestone Transforce LT275/70R18’s and after 15k miles still look new. Well over half those miles was pulling our 5W. Different tires for different purposes I guess

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I’ve seen a lot of negative comments on Firestones since I joined this forum. My 2500 came with Firestone Transforce LT275/70R18’s and after 15k miles still look new. Well over half those miles was pulling our 5W. Different tires for different purposes I guess
The Transforce that came on my 2500 were great on the highway and good gravel roads. Where is all came apart is in the mud and snow. At anything over 3 mph I could not keep them on a muddy road, no steering at all. Even in 4wd, the traction control got so messed up it shut itself off and put up the "Service TCS" sign. Tires had less than 3000 miles on them. TCS worked okay after being shutoff and back on an hour later. Went and got a set of 275=70=18 Duratracs the next day, no more problems off road. They are a bit noisier but it beats being in the ditch all the time.

Last edited:

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The Transforce that came on my 2500 were great on the highway and good gravel roads. Where is all came apart is in the mud and snow. At anything over 3 mph I could not keep them on a muddy road, no steering at all. Even in 4wd, the traction control got so messed up it shut itself off and put up the "Service TCS" sign. Tires had less than 3000 miles on them. TCS worked okay after being shutoff and back on an hour later. Went and got a set of 265=70=18 Duratracs the next day, no more problems off road. They are a bit noisier but it beats being in the ditch all the time.
That’s why I was saying different tires for different purposes. I probably would have changed out with driving conditions like you described but for highway and towing I’m happy.

Smitty2495

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 19 2500 exact same way when new. Adjust tire pressure they will be high from factory. The Firestone Transforce TA tires (lame) will dial in by 1000 miles.

Then start planning on a good Michelin or equivalent

Rlaman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Congrats on your new truck. Im sure you will love it. Coming from a 1500 to a 2500 is a big difference. The 1500 is more user friendly. The 2500 with the huge tire side walls is not going to react like the 1500. My 2500 needs to be corrected a lot going down the road. But it is the same as other heavy duty truck that I have driven. Lowering the pressure may help. Enjoy your new ride !

TEXOMA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We were having some issues as well and then it progressed to having the steering linkage replaced at 6000 highway miles, no off road driving. Maybe have them check that out.

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
they have no obligation to do that stuff. some may do it for curtousy but when you sign your name its all on you now.
it seems alot of people in todays world need somebody else to do everything for them.
A new truck should have everything properly adjusted before leaving the stealership.

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You are completely wrong about this. You are paying a PDI fee, pre delivery inspection fee, on most everything u buy. Part of pdi is setting tire pressures correctly. If they don't do the pdi correctly I would be demanding the fee back and I have been successful in the past doing that.
Yep. Totally agree.

mtwofeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
I just picked up my new 2022 Ram 2500 Big Horn. I love everything about it, but the steering. It just seems loose and like you are always making subtle corrections to keep it in the lane. Nothing terrible but it's noticeable. I came from a 2010 1500 so maybe since it is a different set up, it just getting some getting used to?

Found a forum on another site where a few guys experienced similar things on the 2021 and it seemed like it was anything from its normal to the tires are the reason to the truck did have some alignment issues. Just wanted to see if anyone else has thoughts and or insight.

It has 20" Firestone Trans force AT tires.
Its going to feel like that for a while till its not so tight. Its not the truck but you. When I picked my wife's Christmas present. The steering was so touchy I could breathe and it would go left or right. By spring you will be used to it. After driving her truck all the rams I have felt like I needed to get them fixed they felt like I needed more effort to turn them.

Go Fast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my new 2500 having both Adaptive Steering System and ACC with stop, until I set on and got the truck icon in the dash from laying off to the right. If you were attempting to steer to get the icon in the green, then the lane assist trying to correct or it tightens the steering to indicate you are drifting out of your lane. Get the system turned on and it will remain in the last position when the vehicle is shut off. So if the system has not been turned on or you have shut it off this will give you that type of feeling in your steering to what feels like oversteering to correct it.

fitz011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
There are several of us in the Cummins forum that have the free play the OP mentioned. Some are still looking, some have found play in the steering shaft coupling, front end parts (for those w/some miles) and some just live w/it. I'm at 65K and still looking...

vjjack04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins

Aking21

I think I understand your point. I went from a 2017 Ram 1500 to a 2022 2500 4 wheel drive...it does drive more like an old big bodied car than a sporty steering truck...give it some time, you will like it.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
A new truck should have everything properly adjusted before leaving the stealership.
For the longest time the PDI sheet specified that the DEF tank on diesel trucks be filled completely. The PDI sheet even stated how the dealership needed to turn in to be paid for the DEF. The dealership I bought my truck through and the parts department had no clue of this. There were countless others all across the country who's trucks were delivered without a full DEF tank(know this via forums).

Spark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had no issues with my '21 2500, until I upped the tire size to 285/75R18. The aggressive tread and increased diameter (nearly 35") made the steering loose and chattered. I switched to the Thuren/King steering damper and it made it much better....but you really shouldn't have any issue with a new truck, unless like you said it just is different and takes some getting used to- That is a solid axle up front.