2022 Ram 2500 - Right Hand Drive - New Zealand - Amp Research Power Steps - Problem with rear doors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nigele

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hi all from New Zealand,

I have a new 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie and I have just installed Amp Research Power Steps. The challenge I have is that the car has been converted to Right Hand Drive. the power steps work perfectly when I open the front doors, but when I open the rear doors the opposite side step deploys.

I called Amp Research and they said they can't help me as the car is converted to RHD and won't work. My father in law has a 2020 F150 Super Snake and it also has the same steps fitted and his works perfectly on both sides.

I noted in the dash that when I open the drivers door (note on the right hand side) the light on the dash shows the left side door is open. Not sure what else to try other than dealer but doubt they will be able to assist as these are new cars to NZ and they have very limited knowledge.

Thinking I change in AlfaOBD to set the car to Right Hand Drive and see what happens and if the computer will revert the doors. Hoping the warranty is not voided byt making any changes but would like to get it working.

Any ideas all?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all from New Zealand,

I have a new 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie and I have just installed Amp Research Power Steps. The challenge I have is that the car has been converted to Right Hand Drive. the power steps work perfectly when I open the front doors, but when I open the rear doors the opposite side step deploys.

I called Amp Research and they said they can't help me as the car is converted to RHD and won't work. My father in law has a 2020 F150 Super Snake and it also has the same steps fitted and his works perfectly on both sides.

I noted in the dash that when I open the drivers door (note on the right hand side) the light on the dash shows the left side door is open. Not sure what else to try other than dealer but doubt they will be able to assist as these are new cars to NZ and they have very limited knowledge.

Thinking I change in AlfaOBD to set the car to Right Hand Drive and see what happens and if the computer will revert the doors. Hoping the warranty is not voided byt making any changes but would like to get it working.

Any ideas all?
:welcome:

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
If it’s not possible with software, I would get the wiring schematic and swap the wires from door sensor or switches so the body control module is tricked. Did you do the install yourself, or hire it done?

I surmise that at some point the front door sensors were already reversed OR the Amp Research motor leads were reversed. Or maybe both. Because your RF door indicates LF in the dash and the right step deploys.

OP
OP
N

nigele

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If it’s not possible with software, I would get the wiring schematic and swap the wires from door sensor or switches so the body control module is tricked. Did you do the install yourself, or hire it done?

I surmise that at some point the front door sensors were already reversed OR the Amp Research motor leads were reversed. Or maybe both. Because your RF door indicates LF in the dash and the right step deploys.
Thank you for the feedback...Ram dealer has confirmed a recall needs to be done for all vehicles as they are all showing the incorrect door open on the display. They said they are working on the solution so I will post an update once I get a reply. I am comfortable to try and resolve myself but didnt want to do anything as under warranty.

Again, thank you for the suggestions.